View Poll Results: what do you do & why?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • #1 - flick the switch - why?

6 26.09%
  • #1 - leave the switch - why?

3 13.04%
  • #2 - push the man - why?

0 0%
  • #2 - don't push the man - why?

11 47.83%
  • can't choose!! - why?

3 13.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok, so I'm answering without reading the other replies, cos I started to, and began to become influenced.

Large man- absolutely not, because I am then the cause of his death, without a doubt. If I don't act, I am an innocent bystander (who will forever have guilt and what ifs).

5 vs 1 - I am not sure. I think I would hope that someone in the group would see it and alert the others, whereas if I send it to the one guy, he might not see it. HOWEVER, maybe, on his own he is more alert and not distracted by conversation?! I don't know. My immediate reaction was 'of course I'd switch it', but I don't think I would, I think I would run and scream and see if I could get the tram conductors attention (hmmm, trams DO have conductors, right?).

Now I'm off to google this...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agh these things I battle with! I dont think I could do anything
    Last edited by babyla; 03-04-2012 at 20:40.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    #1: Don't flick the switch.. you don't know that the 5 could run? Also what if the lone one was deaf? (morbid but my train of thought)

#2: Definitely don't push the man... how do we know he will stop the tram? for all we know I could kill 6 people, not 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I couldn't answer because I don't know how I would behave in a situation like that.

I'd like to think that I'd try to be the hero and intervene to save those people by sacrificing one. Chances are though, that I'd be so paniced and flustered that I'd miss my chance to make an actual decision at all.

Either way I'd be wracked with guilt for having caused death - any death!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A agree with Buttoneska

#1 flick the switch because it is reducing the risk
    #2 dont push the man - dont directly harm the man.

In situation #2, perhaps I would consider the option of jumping myself - or suggesting to the man if he jumps then he might save the others, but leave the decision up to him. (And if I jump myself and I am too small to make a difference, at least I dont have to live with the guilt of failing to save those five workers.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grrrr...I've just realised I didn't make the poll able to pick more than one option - bugger!
    Ahwell..atleast we have a discussion going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose not to do anything in either situation, but I feel more strongly about the second one. To me, I don't think I would ever know for certain that pushing the man would work, so I wouldn't do it. But even if it would work I don't think I could do it either. I would then feel very responsible and wouldn't there be some kind of charges pressed? I don't think I would do anything in the first instance either. Unless there was a way to save EVERYONE, I don't know if I could play God like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You didn't multiple choice so I didn't vote.

I would not intervene I don't think. I wouldn't want the blood on my hands, and if I did ANYTHING that altered how things were going to go down if I was there, I would then be the reason that someone died. If I didn't intervene, it would simply be a fault tram or whatever... not me. I don't really think I should play god and pick who lives and who doesn't - all those 5 guys on the tram line could be horrible people, and that one be a fantastic man who might change the world... it's unlikely, but it's possible. I'd rather just leave it up to fate.

As for pushing a man over a bridge, there's no guarantee I'd be able to tip him over at the right time, or that he'd land in the right spot, etc. Plus, that'd be murder. Me watching an accident isn't me taking part in the death of another person - pushing a fat man off a bridge is me being a murderous jerk who thinks she can play god.

(and yes, I don't even believe in god, but it's just a saying so shhhh... lol).

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you tell me if the results I gave you make me a psychopath already??... the suspense is killing me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by All smiles View Post
    I read a book not to long ago called save me and it was a book about a mum having to choose between saving her own child or 3 children arghhhh the moral dilemma!
    For me, there is no dilemma there tbh.

My kid trumps anybody else's many times over for me. I don't want to see any kids die, obviously, but if I could save several random kids (even 100!) VS my own... well, yeah, I'd be saving my own.