View Poll Results: what do you do & why?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • #1 - flick the switch - why?

6 26.09%
  • #1 - leave the switch - why?

3 13.04%
  • #2 - push the man - why?

0 0%
  • #2 - don't push the man - why?

11 47.83%
  • can't choose!! - why?

3 13.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Morals/Ethics...

Where do you get yours and how do you justify them?

Out of curiosity, I'll add a poll to see what people would do in the two following hypothetical scenarios;

#1 - say you are near a tram line - from one end you see an out of control tram hurtling down the line. In it's path (too far away for you to call out) is 5 line workers that would most certainly be killed on impact - There is a switch though that you could flick, doing so sends the tram down another line, on that only one worker. You could save five lives at the cost of one.

What do you do?
    Flick the switch?

#2 -
    As before, a tram is hurtling down a track towards five people. You are on a bridge under which it will pass, and you can stop it by dropping a heavy weight in front of it. As it happens, there is a very large man next to you - your only way to stop the tram is to push him over the bridge and onto the track, killing him to save five.

Should you proceed?
    do you push him over?

[I learnt about the, what has been now nicknamed the 'Tolley-ology' the other night -- for anyone who has heard about it...shhh..until a few pages in, and for those who haven't heard about it, no Googling please.]
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 03-04-2012 at 19:04.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    #2 - I would not push the man. He death would be the direct result of my behaviour so I could not do it (even if it meant 5ppl dying instead of 1)

#1 - I am not sure. I would be tempted to flick the switch but not sure how I would actually do it. I think maybe my reflexing I could flick the switch because I don't actually have DIRECT control over the death of someone else - I am minimlising the impact of an accidnet IYKWIM.

I guess its like on death row - they have two ppl releasing the drugs and noone ever finds out who actually killed the person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh tough!

In both situations I wouldn't interfere. You don't know what the future holds, and I couldn't purposefully hurt/kill someone to save another...... I'd be thinking what if I pushed the fat guy off the bridge and killed him and it DIDN'T stop the tram, so yeah I'd probably let fate take it's course.

Obviously if stopping the tram wasn't going to put anyone else's life at risk then I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's just not my decision as to whether one persons life is worth more than another IYKWIM?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (03-04-2012),MrJones&Me  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Without reading button's answer my thought process was similar. If I flick the switch or push the man I an effectively killing that person. I'm not sure I could/would do that.

Also, is it actually the right thing to do? What if that one man was about to cure cancer and one of the five workers was in fact about to commit a murder? Would it be wrong to intervene and judge that killing one person to save five is the right thing to do? Not sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    Oh tough!

In both situations I wouldn't interfere. You don't know what the future holds, and I couldn't purposefully hurt/kill someone to save another...... I'd be thinking what if I pushed the fat guy off the bridge and killed him and it DIDN'T stop the tram, so yeah I'd probably let fate take it's course.

Obviously if stopping the tram wasn't going to put anyone else's life at risk then I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's just not my decision as to whether one persons life is worth more than another IYKWIM?
    This is pretty much what I was going to write

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wouldnt do either. I would not and could not make a decision to end a life, regardless of what that means.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read a book not to long ago called save me and it was a book about a mum having to choose between saving her own child or 3 children arghhhh the moral dilemma!

Thanks
    Reviews
    ..keeping in mind - 'not doing anything' in these scenarios, still ultimately results in someone's death.

It's really interesting to hear the responses so far.

..I have another twist to throw in the mix - once I get these kids off to sleep.

Obviously there is no 'right or wrong' answer...we are just discussing our how we would come to an ethical conclusion

..and maybe I shouldn't have put "can't choose" in the poll - but there is always one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In all honesty I would probably flick the switch, my though process would be that in the back of my mind I would be thinking that one person might have a chance of getting out of the way but it would be unlikely 5 could.
    In regards to number 2 there is no way I could physically push someone to their death.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (03-04-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well i mean, by me doing something, flicking a switch or pushing someone, if i do nothing, thats not an action, thats letting fate take its course, and i would not be responsible for the deaths juszt as i wouldnt be responsible for the survivors.