+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I got my daughters done at 4 months same way double gun she didn't even cry they are perfectly even on both sides. My other daughter I got done at two because she wanted it done same thing no crying it was quick hers are perfectly even too
    Okay, back, and less wound up.

Can I ask a genuine question...how come you got your 4 month old done, but waited until your other daughter was 2 because that was when she asked you to have it done. Why did one get the choice and the other didn't?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    Re: needle not gun.

I recently took my 16yo to get her ears pierced and was insistent on needle not gun based on things people had said on this forum. The piercer said he was happy to do either but said that the new guns (which use disposable cartridges) were different to the ones in the past and thus my fears were unfounded.
    I was told this when I asked about getting my 11yo daughters ears pierced too. We still haven't had her ears done yet, because she's still umming and ahhing about it, plus I
    Wanted to ask around about these disposable gun things.. I'm still leaning towards needle though, because of the whole blunt earring vs needle thing..
    If she wants the gun though, it's up to her but in that case, i think I'll make her wait until she's 16 or 18 so that it's her own decision on how it's done.

Thanks
    Reviews

Disease transmission is possible, even with disposable cartridges, when the parts are used incorrectly or when the operator doesn't understand or follow standard hygiene practices....this is especially common in places like 'Claires' for example. You will find a LOT of people that pierce with guns have had minimal training, some of them read a booklet, have to sit with their manager for an hour going through it and that's it! They are not trained at all in what to do when things go wrong.The sad part if the majority of mothers don't even ask about the training they have had, they just plonk their kid in the chair and hand over their safety to someone that may not really know what they are doing.
    Even with the 'new' guns the risks are all still there.Everything I said in my long post still stands. The ONLY difference is the risk of hep C is slightly reduced. Everything else is the same.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (04-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (04-04-2012),share a book  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I cannot imagine getting a cosmetic procedure done on my child without giving them a say (eg. waiting til they were old enough to decide.)
    What's the purpose? other than the parents pleasure?
    Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it in no way helps the child, it just puts them through unnecessary pain. They may later decide that they don't even want earrings and in that case what was the point?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jascar For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (04-04-2012),Maybelline  (04-04-2012),share a book  (04-04-2012),squirrelex  (04-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well, in our case ... the practitioner was a professional piercer whom had lots of experience. Piercing was the only thing he did as a job, though it wasn't just limited to ears, he also pierced other body parts. He even refuted the blunt force trauma argument stating that the earings they use in the guns these days are very sharp - not as sharp as a needle, but still sharp enough to cut. He was prepared to use either method and saw them as equally valid options.

My daughter was 16yo and very skittish. We tried with the needle first and she kept squirming away every time he came close. She then requested the gun instead. I still would've preferred the needle but didn't disallow her choice when my objections had been for the most part refuted.

During the considerable wait time for my daughter to try and calm herself, I learned that the piercer would accept younger clients. He suggested that around 3yo was his minimum, but the child had to be willing. If the child said stop then he would stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jascar View Post
    Personally I cannot imagine getting a cosmetic procedure done on my child without giving them a say (eg. waiting til they were old enough to decide.)
    What's the purpose? other than the parents pleasure?
    Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it in no way helps the child, it just puts them through unnecessary pain. They may later decide that they don't even want earrings and in that case what was the point?
    Well my eldest is not happy that I took that viewpoint. She used to always complain that she wanted her ears pierced but didn't want to have the memory of having had her ears pierced and thus wished I had got it done for her when she was a baby. As she approached 16 (which was the minimum age I put on the decision) she lost her resolve and decided not to get them done after all. She really only wanted them for her grade 12 formal and didn't think it was worth it for just one occasion.

DD2 on the other hand has never wavered from wanting her ears pierced, so got them done just after her 16th birthday. It was very difficult for her and she would've much preferred I got them done when she was too young to be worried and too young to remember.

So, whilst I still prefer to wait and let the child make an informed choice, I do see the reasoning for the alternative view of getting it done young.

============

I also spoke to another mother that wanted to get her daughters ears done as a baby so they wouldn't play with them and cause infections. However, when her DD1 was 4mo and she said she wanted to get them done, her ex (they may've been together at that point, I didn't ask) said no she had to wait. It took until their DD1 was 2½yo before he finally agreed so they were done. The child played with them constantly and got repeated infections.

When their DD2 was 4mo the mother said she would get the ears done now so she wouldn't suffer infections like their DD1 did. Her ex still said no she has to wait. She is most annoyed about this and expects the same thing to happen with her DD2 as with her DD1.

I did not speak to the father and thus do not know his reasoning.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 04-04-2012 at 10:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish all piercers had this philosophy. Sounds like he was excellent with your daughter

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Gothchick I want to thank you for your posts in this thread. My DD is nearly 2 and I have always thought that I would wait to get her ears peirced until she asked. Now even when she asks I will insist on the needle, I have had a few peircing done and all with needle but I never knew the hygenic risks of the gun.

Thank you thank you thank you...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jbish For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum got my ears pierced when I was about 3 and I still remember the pain - it hasn't traumatized me and I have no aversion to needles but that memory stays with me. I also tried to get a piercing in my upper ear when I was about 17 and it never healed and kept getting infected so I had to take it out. I even used that antiseptic stuff they give you to clean it and it still got infected. It was done at a chemist by a guy who I now think had probably never done it before. I should have gone to a professional but none of us knew any better and it's not like my parents were the piercing or tattoo type.

Anyway my sister got my niece's ears pierced when she was only 8 months old! I was horrified that she did it so young and a little disgusted. I get that people might not want the child to remember it or the child themselves may say that but ultimately I think that is way too young. I'm all for letting the child decide when they are old enough. It's only for aesthetics anyway.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    OP - from another point of view - my ears were pierced as a baby and I really wish they were not done so young. I would have really liked to have been been able to make that decision myself, research it, choose the piercer myself etc.

I used to get infections a fair bit when I was younger and they are also incredibly uneven, one hole sits a lot higher than the other and it really irritates me. I got slammed on here the last time I complained about my uneven ear holes, but it honestly bothers me. I wish Mum had of waited
    Last edited by Witwicky; 04-04-2012 at 09:26.