+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Android apps for toddler with ASD

Hi everyone.

I have been given an old android phone to use for DS. Does anyone know of any android apps that an autistic toddler can use for mental development and stimulation? I know there are plenty of ipad apps, but as a sole parent I unfortunately can not afford one of those :\

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I did see on ACA last night the ipad app for ASD.
    But I am yet to see one for android.
    I don't have an android or iphone. My sister does, I'll text her now to see if she can find one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ipad has a larger variety of apps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I realize that, but I simply can not afford an ipad. Im on a single parents pension and have been declined a carers allowance twice now. I have lodged an appeal with the tribunal this time. If I do get the allowance, I can maybe try and save up. Im not very hopeful though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's strange you've been declined twice. Autism and Aspergers are both on the list of recognized disabilities for carers allowance. PDD NOS isnt though. I'm currently receiving it for my oldest son who has high functioning ASD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That app they had on aca last night apparently costs several hundred dollars

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your eligible for FASCHIA funding or FAF (NSW) you can often get aids thru them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah according to them the medical report from the pead was fine. Its just that DS can walk and get in and out of a chair and bathtub. So that is why he got declined. He's physically not disabled enough, therefore I do not give him any extra care in their opinion. A mental disability somehow means you care less for them than when they have a physical disability.
    Im a bit lost about that statement from the authorized reviewer

Anyway, I am not going to pay a few 100 bucks ( )for an app when I cant even afford an ipad lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just gotten an android phone and am about to start looking for good apps for my DD. My nephew loves Angry Birds, but it's not very easy and not what I'd call educational at all. I did a quick google and it looks like there's a few out there specifically for pre-reading age. I'd look for games that do matching and/or sequencing as these are great pre-maths skills.

I've only worked with school-age children with ASD so can't offer specific suggestions for your son, but generally any student I've worked with that has ASD can access technology as readily as any other child. You just may want to test the apps first when he's not around to ensure they are not too hard, so he won't become frustrated/feel defeated, and also to check they don't have too much annoying noise.

Do you have 'Play Store' on your phone? I'd google "toddler apps" and then search for them by name in the store - there's heaps of free ones on there. I'm not that fussed about not having an I-phone because I know a lot of people with android phones and, while there may be less apps than on a mac, there are still heaps.

It would have to be a pretty amazing ap for be to even spend $3 on it let alone $300