+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *trigger warning* medical abortion

Hi,
    Just thought I'd ask here as I've tried to google as much info I can and haven't found what I've been looking for.

My sisters friend is unexpectidly pregnant after taking the morning after pill and wants to terminate. She is very early on in the pregnancy and wants to know the difference between the pill RU486 and the surgical procedure, the effects especially. I thought I'd jump on here and ask if anyone has had the pill and would be kind enough to share their experience?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never had to terminate a pregnancy, nor could I contemplate it however if I had to i would think I would rather go to a clinic then take some pill - but thats just my opinion. Good luck to your friend

3. The Following User Says Thank You to karisha For This Useful Post:

ThreePeasPlease  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of a friend had the pill. She said she wanted to do it in the comfort of her own home and not surrounded by surgeons and metal instruments.

What she didnt like was how long it took, the fact that she didn't know for a fact if it would work and she might end up having a surgical anyways,and apparently there was quite a bit of blood.She was also in quite a lot of pain for 24 hours.

However, she doesnt regret her decision.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had a medical abortion myself but worked with a close friend while she had one and to be honest it looked horrible. I've had a surgical abortion (as had she previously) and we both agreed compared to that it was much worse.

She was in a lot of pain while it was taking effect and bled and cramped for 3 weeks after.

With the surgical abortion, it is done in a clinic by a doctor and a nurse. It takes 10 minutes. You sit in a recovery room afterwards with a nurse and they make sure you are ok before you are allowed to leave (accompanied). If you're in pain they give you something for it. You don't bleed for 3 weeks (I only did for 3 days).

While I fully support abortion I really don't like this RU486 thing. I don't think it's good for women and I think it takes away from the seriousness of an abortion. It is a huge thing to go through and I think it gives the impression that you just pop a pill and it's over which is not the case.

Of course everyone is different but I would strongly encourage your friend to find a good clinic and go there.

If you are in Sydney I can recommend a great place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    What she didnt like was how long it took, the fact that she didn't know for a fact if it would work and she might end up having a surgical anyways,and apparently there was quite a bit of blood.She was also in quite a lot of pain for 24 hours.
    Do you know if she was in a bit of pain? All the advice on the internet suggested some mild cramping and some blood, although we did cross one article where this woman had an absolutely horrible experience with huge clotting and bleeding that went on for 8 weeks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePeasPlease For This Useful Post:

elbie  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ElastiGirl View Post
    Do you know if she was in a bit of pain? All the advice on the internet suggested some mild cramping and some blood, although we did cross one article where this woman had an absolutely horrible experience with huge clotting and bleeding that went on for 8 weeks.
    Her words were 'quite a lot of pain...' but I can ring someone tomorrow who will know more about it, I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Her words were 'quite a lot of pain...' but I can ring someone tomorrow who will know more about it, I'll let you know as soon as I do.
    That would be great! Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend definitely had more than mild cramping, she was in lots of pain and it was a lot of bleeding as I said for 3 weeks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a surgical termination and that was emotional enough. Ive also experienced miscarrige and whether the pregnancy is wanted or not i can't imagine anyone wanting to actually go through that by taking the pill. I'd recommend surgical as i didn't experience any pain and very minimal bleeding.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to louhopeful For This Useful Post:

ThreePeasPlease  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My best friend had a medical termination, was offered by the clinic but if not successful then surgical was inevitable. The saddest thing for her was the cramps and 3 week bleeding also. It was like a CONSTANT reminder to her of her decision, and she went downhill mentally during that time. Once she stopped bleeding (finally). She could start 'living' again.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Merlsy For This Useful Post:

ThreePeasPlease  (06-04-2012)