+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Packed for hospital or an overseas trip?!

How big is your hospital bag? I bought a new bag for the occasion, one that I thought would be big enough for 5 days in hospital after giving birth. But after putting in the chunky items like packets of maternity pads, nursing pads, toiletries etc I soon realised that I was going to run out of room before even putting anything in for the baby!

I've had to borrow another biggish bag from DH to pack everything else in, and I'm all packed now but am a bit concerned that I'm going to show up to the hospital looking like I'm ready for a six month holiday, lugging these two big bags stuffed to the limit!

Is this the case for everyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha oh the memories! Mine was the exact same. The annoying thi g of it though was i dindnt even use much if any of it!! Depending on what hospital you're at, RWH Melb supplied me with pads in my bedside drawer. DD only needed 1 or 2 jumpsuits and half a dozen nappies...Huggies are super absorbent and newborns don't wee/poo that much in the beginning and again hospital provides what you can't in terms of toiletries. You really won't be getting up and about all that much to pack your Sunday best and matching outfits.

My next one though, i'll be packing much lighter!!

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had soooo much stuff! Nappies, wipes, toiletries, clothes, wraps and a warm blanket for dd. That filled one carry-on size suitcase.

Pads, breast pads, toiletries and clothes for myself filled another carry-on size suitcase.

My hospital, the mercy in heidelberg provides nothing though, so I used it all, I packed according to the list they provided.

Just remembered, I also had a 'green bag' containing camera, charger, phone charger, etc, oh, and my handbag.

It was worse coming home, I had all that stuff, plus all the presents and flowers people bought for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies Glad I'm not the only one!

I too have packed according to the list provided by the hospital (I'm going to Mitcham), so I assume I'll need most things. And I truly haven't packed much for myself, although maybe I've put too many baby outfits in..... I guess it's easy to get carried away with all the cute baby things, especially as it's my first.

I'm going to be the same as you Preggasaurus... there will have to be one more bag with camera, chargers etc as well as my make up and handbag. DH thinks I'm crazy wanting to take my make up but I think it's going to be important to be able to make myself feel a little less gross and ugly in the days post birth

And thanks for the heads up re carting all the extra stuff home, I hadn't thought of that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had waaay too much with ds this time im packing much lightee

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just remember you have to bring it all home again along with a newborn and flowers and gifts, I have had to help many couples with transporting their luggage down to their car( hospital orderly) but I am sure it's not always that easy to get someone to help at some of the busy hospitals. Otherwise if your going to pack a lot then send a bit home each day to make it less to take at one go or keep a spare bag at home with stuff you think you might need and then you can get someone to bring it in the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I had DD I packed enough to go overseas I'm sure of it. I literally wore 2 things the whole 5 days as I was in a hospital gown anyway and took way too many unnecessary things. Next time I'll be packing hardly anything as you really don't need it

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I packed a packet of pads, spare undies and pjs for myself and 2 jumpsuits plus a bunch of nappies and wipes but in saying that I only stayed a night and got DH to bring me my toothbrush when he came to pick me up. I walked out of the hospital in ny pjs. If you forget anything or need something Im sure someone will be willing to bring it in for you Goodluck.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I took my overseas suitcase with me, my laptop in a laptop bag.

We had to supply our own nappies, pads, wipes etc... I had a pair of pyjamjams for 4 days, clothes to wear home, toiletries, hair straightener, seven outfits for bub and a going home outfit, wraps and a quilt for my bed. OH and an extension cord so I could use my phone while it was plugged in and get it without hopping out of bed.

The extra space was great for bringing gifts home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I looked like we were headed away for 6wks-I had a suitcase with clothes etc (packed for worst case scenario that I was admitted to the hospital), labour bag & bubs bag. Well, we were home within 24hrs so barely needed the suitcase & when we got to the birth centre, was 7cm so didn't use anything in my labour bag...it was straight in the bath.

I felt better though knowing I was prepared, I'm one of those that would rather have more than find out I've run out

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub