+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mixed Receptive/Expressive Language Delay or disorder...Tell me about this please!!

Hi all,

My 4 year old son has had some speech and language issues for a little while and has just been assessed as having a mixed expressive and receptive language delay and disorder. (The report from the speechie says this) He has just turned 4 and has been seeing our current speech therapist since Nov last year, prior to this he was seeing another lady since just before he turned 3.

What can you tell me about your child with this?

I have taken our son to see his paed and he is going again in 2 weeks. At our last visit the paed said that our son def had speech and language issues, but nothing else, he said this is def not autism or ADD or anything like that, he has speech and language problems. Our son has really improved so much in the past year and has a much larger vocab than before starting with our current speechie. He is well on track with all the other developmental milestones (eg. was toilet trained day and night at 2 years and 9months; can ride a pushbike; draw people with head, body, arms, legs, facial features, can also draw sky, sun, grass and mountains etc (LOL) and many other things)

Our GP thinks he is very much on track with all the develpmental milestones, just not his speech.

So I'm just interested to hear about other children with mixed expressive/ receptive language delays or disorders.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    29 views and yet no relplies??

Anyone ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry Hun I wish I could help but I'm not familiar with the disorder I hope someone might be able to help you

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Me! My DS is 5 in June and has had a significant expressive and receptive speech delay. He has been having speech therapy which has improved his speech a lot and we have held him back from starting prep this year. I can't write much now due to mummy duties but happy to discuss more, in fact I look forward to sharing experiences and I haven't really been able to find any other people with the same issues. DS has also been assessed twice for ASD and found to be fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Nat1341  (03-04-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi,

My ds#1 has mixed expressive receptive langiage disorder, and my other son has receptive language disorder (both asd as well)

Im not sure what kind of information you are looking for, but we have been doing speech therapy for four years now, and work on it with various activities speechy gives us every single day. He has come leaps and bounds, but unfortunately now he is at school he is having more difficulties. The teacher has to reword instructions 2-3 times for him to understand, he can read words, but the comprehension side of the stories he doesnt understand, so if he reads a book and u ask him to retell it, he has significant trouble.

Our speechy made it quite clear that its a disorder and not a delay. A delay suggests that they can catch up and one day be at a regular level. The disorder however our speechy says she cannot honestly say that it will ever dissapear.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Nat1341  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for your replies. Our DS has just turned 4, and I think has had it for a little while I believe. I know that if it's a disorder then he will always have it and if it is a delay he could outgrow it.

Bec our son is similar- I asked our paed, speechie and our very experienced GP if they thought it was some where on the ASD and they all disagreed, paricularly our paed and our GP (our Paed is very blunt and would certainly say so if he thought it was) given that our son has reached all other developmental milestones easily, he has excellent gross motor and fine motor skills (eg. can draw a person with head, tummy, arms, legs, toes, fingers, eyes, nose, smile, hair etc. He can draw a sun, clouds, mountains, dinosaur roaring etc etc) he can kick and catch a ball, ride a pushbike, knows all colours, shapes etc can count to 20 etc etc.

Our son had many many problems with otitis media, he had tonsils & adnoids out and grommets done when he was 3 years and 2 months old. BUT...he had been having problems with this since he was 1!!!!!!! I had asked our doctors repeatedly if he should have something done and they all wanted to wait. I personally believe that our son has this problem as a result of significant hearing loss between the ages of 18months - 3 years old from being sick with constant ear and tonsil infections. He was sick this whole time and would often have ear infections lasting 2-3months!

So basically I'm just after some of things you do with your children to help their expressive/receptive language delay or disorder.

We do lots of games, reading, drawing/painting, DS also goes to preschool twice a week and swimming lessons once a week.
    Thanks again for your replies, I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Nat

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My sons reached their milestones on time as well except for speech my toddler is freakishly genius like when it comes to numbers. And he is only two. Not saying there is anything wrong with your child at all, but its a common misconception that all autistic kids dont reach their milestones.

Its hard to say what to do, because it depends on what ur child is struggling with, does your speech therapist give u stuff to do at home?

Thats basically what our speechy does, we see her for half hour sessions she does stuff with them, and gives me a page full of things to do at home for the fortnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I'll let you guys in on a little secret... Nobody could understand a word I said before school started. I had 3 years of speech therapy prep grade 1 & 2 . Until we came to qld and they didn't have the same support. Lucky for me I had a awesome mum who really believed in reading. I still have issues with speaking when tired or stressed. I need new words repeated many times sometimes before I get the pronounction right. But I do have a trade and a uni degree. I work full time as a nurse. My mum gave me the same opportunities as other children qld wanted me in a special school - back in the old days. I just thought I would give u lovely ladies a glimpse of possibilities .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to maestroandme For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks maestroandme! That's a beAutiful story! I hope to be able to help our DS as much as i can like your mum. Im a teacher with a strong background in reading recovery so im able to do quite a bit at home.

Thanks diamond eyes, i did know that was just trying to give some background info about our son. How was yours diagnosed with asd?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    At the moment DS is seeing 2 speecies, a private one and a public one. Some of the activities we've done recently include:
    - playing "go fish" to teach him how to ask questions
    - one of the speechies just sat with him at a table and had a little toy car and they took turns asking questions. She would 'drive' the car over to the person who's turn it was to ask the question. DS had to ask the question properly (ie: "Jane, what's your favourite colour?") then Jane (not her real name) would answer and then ask a question back to DS.
    - Sequencing cards - DS puts a series of cards in order to tell a story then describes what's happening in each picture
    - One trick one of the speechies did was when he had to pronounce the letter "P" she would hold a piece of paper up to his lips and he had to make it move when he pronounced the P
    - He gets stories every night and then he is allowed to 'read' a book back to DF
    - He does the Reading Eggs program which is just awesome, we use it as a treat
    - He's often asked to describe things and given lots of praise when he does "good talking".

I would love to hear about some of things things your DS has been doing.

DS also had an OT assessment done. His gross motor skills are fine. He was a little late at learning to ride a trike, hop, etc but he is a massively big boy and I think this is more of the reason behind that. His fine motor skills are a little behind but nothing to actually worry about. One of the things we've found (or rather assumed) is that because of the speech delay his comprehension of the world is behind that of a child who doesn't have a speech delay. That's just our assumption though (not actually diagnosed).

I should add he's never had an ear infection or any reason to believe his hearing has been compromised and he had 2 hearing tests when he was 2.