+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default hospital care when living in the country

For those of you that live in the country and either chose to birth in the nearest big city or were required to due to complications, how did you manage your pregnancy? Did you commute for checkups? Did you move to the city for the last few weeks? If you moved, did your partner stay in the country? Do you have any advice for someone who needs to give birth in the city (due to complications) but may be moving 5hrs away from it in the 3rd trimester? (not the best timing I know!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did pretty much the same thing, moved 3 hours away from the hospital (to the middle of nowhere) at the beginning of the third trimester, and travelled for all my appointments, DP's family have a house thats 5 mins from the hospital so 2 weeks before I was due we both moved up there, ended up staying there for 5 weeks as things got a bit complicated after her birth. Not really a lot of advice for you just thought id let you know it can be done, hopefully you have friends/family that you can stay with. The only other thing is do you have a dr near by at your new place, if so maybe check in with them and let them know your situation it can be useful in emergencies, we also planned a route to the city so if I went into early labour we would go past towns that had medical facilities

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ziara View Post
    For those of you that live in the country and either chose to birth in the nearest big city or were required to due to complications, how did you manage your pregnancy? Did you commute for checkups? Did you move to the city for the last few weeks? If you moved, did your partner stay in the country? Do you have any advice for someone who needs to give birth in the city (due to complications) but may be moving 5hrs away from it in the 3rd trimester? (not the best timing I know!)
    We live 2700kms from the city. I wanted to deliver in the city and go private anyway but I also have a blood disorder so it was safest for me to deliver there also. After a complicated birth with ds1 i wasn't going to even risk delivering remote. I was under my obstetrician in Perth both times and visited him occasionally through my pregnancy and had my antenatal appointments where I live and had copies sent to him. I went to Perth 4 weeks before my due date both times. My dh also had time off and accompanied me to Perth at that time, we had bubs, stayed a few weeks then went home. Fortunately we have family in Perth that we stayed with.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    oh great thread - intersted to see what ppl do as im in similar situation.

i live 200km from mel and want to birth at the mercy in melbourne. Haven't worked out details yet. Im only 9wks. Have drs app next week to get referrals for 12wk scan/bloods and may discuss with them then.

Locally there is a hospital and medical centre all run by the same drs. The clinic runs an antinatal clinic ran at local medical centre by the drs and the middies come down from hospy. I was supposed to have my first app there today, but the times are impossible with my work to get in and see the main baby dr - so i am just goign to see another dr who does antinatal care. I am now undecided if I stay with her (she doesn't deliver that I know of) or swap to the main guy who does all the delivers/c-sect/d&c at hospy.

I was planning on doing most of my apps down here locally and getting my info passed onto the hospital in Mel? Then moving to Mel a month or so before bub is due (I have family in Mel so no drama with that).

DH will stay here and I will call him closer to my due date/when im in labour to come down. It's only 2hr drive.

Not sure how long we would stay in Mel - hopefully come home straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in a country town and had a very complicated twin pregnancy.
    I ended up being flown to JHH in Newcastle which is 4 hours away, I ended up spending 11 weeks in hospital but 7 in total there as I was admitted twice.
    It was awful being so far from home, I did make some good friends though.

Prior to me being admitted I saw my local OB who is 2 minutes away and then every other week I had to travel back down to Newcastle for a scan and to see the Fetal Maternal Medicine Unit team.
    I do wish there had of been better care closer to me, but it was what was best for my situation at the time.
    Last edited by brooke88(mum2b09); 03-04-2012 at 13:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in a remote mining town ad the hospital here isn't equipped for births. This is my second pregnancy living here.

I am having the baby in Adelaide, as I did with DS, and will be leaving town when I am 36 weeks. I have seen my ob once so far (am 30 weeks tomorrow) and have been doing shared care with my GP and the local Midwife. I went to the closest regional centre for my nuchal scan (2.5 hours drive away) and to Adelaide (6.5 hours drive away) for my 20 week scan.

When pregnant with DS, I went to Adelaide a lot more to see my ob but this time I wanted to avoid all the travel. I haven't had any complications though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm only three hours away from the city, but with my first two I did shared care with my local GP and my city Ob, seeing the Ob more regularly as the weeks went by and staying in the city from 36 weeks on. DH stayed on the farm until just before the birth (My mum stayed with me) and then as soon as we were discharged from hospy we drove straight home!

Number 3 was different because I was much higher risk, so from 20 weeks, we were driving to the city every week for tests/ultrasounds/check ups and I was admitted at 30 weeks. DH stayed home with the kids due to school/farm commitments and he came for the delivery, stayed for a week and then went back home with the big kids - I stayed in the city with bub (born at 31 weeks) for another 7weeks.

Do you have support in the city? Somewhere to stay?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the replies. I just couldn't get my head around what people in this situation did!

I do have family in the city that I can stay with so that's not a problem. We haven't moved yet. It all depends on DH and his job search.

As it stands at the moment I just don't know how this pregnancy is going to pan out. I'm high risk because I had pre-eclampsia and HELLP last year and DS1 was born at 34 weeks (emergency induction). The drs say I have a 30% chance of that happening again but this time I have placenta previa as well (just to make things that little bit more complicated!). I have a growth scan in 5 weeks to check on both complications which should give me an idea of what's going to happen from here on out (I'm 21 weeks at the moment). Regardless of the outcome I know I'm going to have frequent checkups and scans but it's so hard to know how to prepare for the birth when I have no idea when it will be, if I'll be induced or c-sectioned or "normal", if bub will be prem again etc.

The town we are thinking of moving to has a maternity section at the hospital but isn't equipped for a prem bub at all. I'd certainly feel better giving birth in the city but wasn't sure what would happen if bub needed to come out early and urgently and I was in the country?

So much to get my head around!