+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default bub having trouble pooing?

my bub is 2 weeks old and has been on formula for a week now and I have noticed she has had trouble pooing. the poo isn't hard at all it is actually quite soft but she strains to poo and I usually have to hold her legs up to help her poo it all out.
    any suggestions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Trouble pooing is a pretty common thing. Especially with babies on formula. Your baby is brand new with a brand new digestive system. Its still being "broken in" really. But when you choose to formula feed for whatever reason I have found you came across all these problems that no one really prepares you for. I found out that you should offer a small amount of water after a bottle feed because formula is heavier than breastmilk and takes longer to break down. A pamphlet I was given after DD2 was born said that babies have no idea of their surrounds and when they gotta do a poo they put so much effort into it because its something they havent really done before and they have no idea whats going on.

You should offer water after a feed so you arent filling them up on water, otherwise they may not get the nutrition out of the milk because they are too full.

ETA: you must follow the directions of the formula. You must not dilute the milk with extra water.
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 03-04-2012 at 10:41. Reason: add info