+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    100% fruit juice like a clear apple juice or fresh juice,fruit is lighter than other foods and usually easily tolerated with a cold, maybe some grapes or watermelon. Soup could also be a good option to keep your blood sugar levels steady while you're sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry I only just figured out what GD stands for and my previous post might be the wrong advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you stomach clear soup or broth? I think the savoury nature of it wouldn't spike your sugars, its liquid to rehydrate and it should be easy to stomach.

Hope you have the ingredients/ energy to make some. Big hugs. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pynk View Post
    Hi all

I have woken up with my daughters flu and just dont feel like eating. My throat is so sore and my chest is all congested and i just cant stomach anything. Do i have any options for keeping my blood sugar stable without eating? I think i could probably handle food better then milk at this stage though.
    Hi Pynk. Having had GD twice I know how frustrating it can be trying to keep those levels in check especially whilst sick! Unfortunately I think u will still have to eat or drink so u don't have a hypo (really low sugars). If u think u could handle it even a couple of pieces of toast (about 30g carb) to keep them stable. That's your safest bet. It's best to steer completely clear of juices as (I'm sure u know?) it has a huge amount of carb/sugar. equivalent to an entire meals worth. It is also really high GI so is fast acting. U are better off with something like toast or a sandwich that will last u a while.

Are u able to call your diabetes educator? Endocrinologist? Even nutritionist? They would probably have much more info than me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to love savoys with some phili cheese and 1/2 a cherry tomato on top, I could eat 8 as a snack and it didn't effect my BGL. If your stomach is a bit dodge try it without the phili.

The clear soup/broth also sounds good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluky79 View Post
    I used to love savoys with some phili cheese and 1/2 a cherry tomato on top, I could eat 8 as a snack and it didn't effect my BGL. If your stomach is a bit dodge try it without the phili.

The clear soup/broth also sounds good
    Ooppsss sorry I didnt see your that your throat is sore, you could swap the savoys for ritz as they are softer however I'm not too sure how many, the box should have the serving size etc.

I could also maintain good levels at breakfast with an up and go, they now have the vibe fat free that is made with soy milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Soup, maybe nice and easy cup-a-soups. They tend to be extremely low in fat and if you get one with the little noodles in it they can be your carbs as most other soups tend to be carb free and won't really help stabilise your sugar levels.

An egg and some toast might down ok too?