+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Night terrors..help ?

Hi I am pretty sure that my DS 3yo suffers from night terrors.
    He has been a terrible sleeper for ever but after googling sleep issues I came across night terrors.

My DS.
    Wakes similar time each night 11pm-midnight screaming and shouting NO, Stop it, Shut up, he kicks and flings his body around and cries.
    If i try and talk to him and tell him its alright he just kicks me too and appears to be still asleep in a dream state even though he will sit up and open and close his eyes.

I was wondering if anyone else on the hub had a child that has night terrors and is there anything you do that lessons them or prevents them?
    And when did your child grow out of them.

He can keep going for about half an hour or more.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yep my DS2 has suffered night terrors since he was 16nnths old and it horrible. Unfortunately the best (and hardest) thing to do is just leave them to it. Trying to comfort them just escalates it as they aren't aware it is you

Apparently you can try waking them before the time the terror normally occurs to break the sleep cycle but it never worked for me.

Eta- I could guarantee he would have one if he missed his day sleep or if we'd had a particularly long day/late night.
    He's now almost 6 and will have them occasionally after a big day as opposed to almost every night.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

Thunderstorm  (03-04-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I stopped giving DS1 grapes (and later any preservatives) and his night terrors stopped immediately.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    im pretty sure DD2 17mths has been having night terrors.
    prob once a week sometimes twice she'll be screaming and wailing.
    when i pick her up she thrashes about , has her eyes open but looks straight thru me and doesnt seem to hear me.

i end up holding her tight against me and patting her on the back - eventually usually after at least 40mins she gradually calms down to whimpers then drops off to sleep.

leaves me feeling helpless

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I stopped giving DS1 grapes (and later any preservatives) and his night terrors stopped immediately.
    We are on additive free diet aswell because his general behaviour changes when he has certain foods, msg and fruit juice send him off, Makes him angry and irritable.
    He does he grapes though, might try no grapes and see what happens.

Do you think my DS gets enough sleep, he goes to bed at around 7-30pm and wakes at 7-7.30 am ? No day sleeps anymore. He is 3.6yo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    Yep my DS2 has suffered night terrors since he was 16nnths old and it horrible. Unfortunately the best (and hardest) thing to do is just leave them to it. Trying to comfort them just escalates it as they aren't aware it is you

Apparently you can try waking them before the time the terror normally occurs to break the sleep cycle but it never worked for me.

Eta- I could guarantee he would have one if he missed his day sleep or if we'd had a particularly long day/late night.
    He's now almost 6 and will have them occasionally after a big day as opposed to almost every night.
    It's so hard to leave him when he is like that, its so distressing isn't it.
    I will try though.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm View Post
    We are on additive free diet aswell because his general behaviour changes when he has certain foods, msg and fruit juice send him off, Makes him angry and irritable.
    He does he grapes though, might try no grapes and see what happens.

Do you think my DS gets enough sleep, he goes to bed at around 7-30pm and wakes at 7-7.30 am ? No day sleeps anymore. He is 3.6yo
    My DS2 is the same age and sleeps 6pm-5:30/6am with no naps

11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS2 has had night terrors since he was about 3. He's now 8 and still has the occasional one (about 2 a month) He used to wake up screaming and shaking, and he always focussed on something I obviously couldn't see, but absolutely terrified him.
    It was always within 2 hours of falling asleep (before reaching that deep sleep stage I think) and was very hard to bring him out of it. I would just keep a close eye on him as he roamed the house and if he got too upset I would try washing his face with a cool washer which helped sometimes.
    Such a hard thing to see your child going through, but he has never remembered that he's had a bad dream or sleepwalks. He started to improve around 5, and rarely has them now, and its more the sleepwalking now rather than the terrors.
    I don't think there's a really effective way of preventing them, if there is I've never found it. Hopefully your child will soon outgrow them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 5thbubontheway For This Useful Post:

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    dd has had a few night terrors, but refuses to come to bed with us for comfort.
    I found talking about happy things helped her push out the bad dream, such as 'in the morning we are going for a swm, and you can wear your bathers. do you think there will be lots of kids there? G&C (my neices) will be at school, but are coming over to play until their daddy finishes work...' and I just ramble on, which has helped so far

15. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Thunderstorm  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had night terrors. Then we started the failsafe diet and through the challenges I linked them to salicylates. Grapes are high sals, so maybe try and reduce them for a trial period. DS terrors stopped instantly once we cut back. As a pp said they recommend you wake them up before they usually have them. I never tried this as DS would have them at any time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Honeymoonbub For This Useful Post:

Thunderstorm  (04-04-2012)