+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When will the constant night waking end???

Hi All,

My daughter has just turned 1. She has always been a terrible sleeper. She would wake between 6-9 times per night. I resorted to letting her sleep with us if she woke more than 3 times in a night, so she ends up in with us every night usually after 2am. I am so damn tired. She is also an early riser, starting her day a 5.30am. She goes to bed at 7.30 (I have tried an earlier bed time and it did not help). She has 2 naps each day, 30min in the morning and 1.5hours in the afternoon. She puts herself to sleep in her cot and I sit in her room until she is alseep. I make no eye contact and do not talk to her during this process. About 1 month ago she slept through the night for 4 consecutive nights. It was bliss. I know she can do it. We always wanted our children close together in age but I am too scared to fall pregnant again because I don't think I could cope with pregnancy and spending half the night away. Has anyone else had a baby that sleeps this terribly? When did it end?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont have any real advice but maybe cutting out her morning nap might help. If its only for 30 mins or so she may not need it. Try bringing her arvo nap earlier (aim for around midday). What time does she wake in the arvo?? Does she have a comforter (a toy or blanky), it my personal opinion that bubs/kids need comforters.
    Also, can you try and not sit with her while she falls alseep, YOU may be her comforter, as in she needs YOU to fall asleep when she wakes at night.

Another suggestion would be to have a portacot next you your bed, so if it does get to the poiint where she comes into your bed, she goes into the portacot NEXT to your bed instead.

Is she teething??

Good luck it so hard when they wake alot!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

rachel27  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My last two girls woke all night every night until around 20 months. By my 5th child, I just accepted that's what they do.

To make it easier, I had a queen sized bed up in the baby room with the cot. Say I put her down at 7.00pm, if she woke at 10.30pm I would just go up and bf her in the qs bed and usually go back to sleep myself lying beside her.

By having the big bed up in her room, I found I could still spend time with DH up in our room for at least part of the night, and it got into a reasonable routine, so I wasn't too sleep deprived. You know in all honesty, a lot of it was just accepting what I couldn't change. Yeah, it's hard, but if you've tried everything else, what can you do, but make the most of it? Even though while you're going through it it seems to take forever, once you're out of it, you realise it's not such a long period of time that they go through this.

You have my sympathy, I understand how hard it can be! Hope things improve.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clarabelle For This Useful Post:

rachel27  (04-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    excellent advice clarabelle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    14 months for me for consistent all night sleeping except for when teething or unwell. That said I just had another bout of night waking that lasted almost two weeks. I'm not sure why but he as sick for a couple of days, he's trying to learn to talk and my husband is also away. We still sit with him while he goes to sleep. He went through a week where he didn't need us in the room but wants a cuddle and company again. It doesn't seem to affect his sleep. We also have a single mattress in his room if we need to sleep in their with him on the odd occasion. He will not sleep with us so that option is out. Also won't take a comforter.

I'm thinking about TTC as well but find the thought of two night waking unbearable as well. Hugs, I hope it happens for you soon. I firmly believe each baby does it in their own time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

rachel27  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is no age number as 2,3,4 even 5 yr olds will wake up due to illness, toilet trip or discomfort. I agree with clarabelle too!

We have just moved DD to a single bed as it is getting too hard to settle her in a cot when I'm 7mths pregnant. So now when she wakes up I can just go and rest next to her. If I fall asleep then fine. I just head back to my bed later.

What is your bub getting up for? food water or comfort? You can fix the first couple but IMO the third is here forever.

Btw I nightweaned at 14mths so we went from 2 overnight feeds (7pm-6am) to no feeds but occ water requests. Now at 19mths she does wake up about once overnight for a cuddle or a trip to the potty.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

rachel27  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I currently have my own thread going about my DS who is waking very early suddenly! I have been trying to find a solution and one thing I have come across is sleeping in with your child for at least a week and helping them settle by being there next to them (in a bed next to theirs). After 1-2 weeks they should be able to sleep through. I think it's about getting them used to sleeping through then you can move back to your bed. Try giving Your local sleep centre a call. Let me know if you want the numbers for your area. They were in the paper over the weekend, which I have kept!!!!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackinabox For This Useful Post:

rachel27  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd was a horrible sleeper she would wake 10 times a night until about 14 months when it randomly cut down to 2-3 then by 18-20 months it was none then at 2 we went back to waking at least once! She is almost 2 and a half and will generally sleep through 5 out of 7 nights! It's been a long hard road with her but all kids are different!
    My ds is such a dream compared to dd was he is 7 months he was sleeping through but is now waking once! Once I can handle

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blairysmum For This Useful Post:

rachel27  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your posts. I know that she is using me as a comforter. I do not feed at night and she always refuses a drink of water. I guess she just wakes up often and needs me with her. She always is in bed with us during the early hours of the morning but still cannot get her to sleep past 5.30. That doesn't bother me, it's just the constant waking through the night. I even sit in the cot with her rather than take her out and hold her until she is asleep, just my presence puts her back to sleep. I just can't do it all night long. It is great to hear they grow out of it and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope the tunnel isn't too long though thanks again