+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haven't read all the replies, but just on OP - no I don't mind at all. We moved a couple of hrs away to the country/coast of Vic. I would much rather have visitors then go to Melbourne to see them - I am happiest at home and dont' mind hosting/cooking/entertaining - I actually find it fun.

We kinda have an open house policy and welcome all our mates - but they have to let us know in advance. I couldn't do it every weekend - maybe every 2nd or something.

My only pet gripe is when guests don't bring a gesture (ie. bottle of wine, packet of chips, some fruit, chocolate or some token item). DH and I are both chefs so happy to cook and don't want ppl to bring any food as such - but an offer is nice.

And I like them to help clean up after we eat and make the bed/strip the bed before they leave.

Aside from that, they are welcome most of the time.

But to each their own.

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I love having visitors! Especially my mum & my in laws!

We live in completely different states & I miss them so much & I hate that my girls are far away from their grand parents.

When they come to stay they stay for a few weeks at a time & I love it! my girls have so much fun spending time with their grand parents which means the absolute world to me as I grew up without them

My Mum & also my in laws arent a problem to have come stay, they will happily cook dinner, put washing on or run the vacuum over the floor.

My home is always, always welcome to guests

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they are coming to stay cos they want to see & spend time with you they are more than welcome. If its a case that they just want to use you for free accom it really annoys me!! But a few days is defiantly more than enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Up to 2/3 weeks is fine for family and friends. Then I'd like a few days off to do my own thing before you come back. Goes for in-laws too.

I would get insulted if family or friends visited where I was living and didn't ask to stay. Same with airport pick ups and Drop offs.

I have family all over the world and rarely have paid for accom. After all why spend money on accom when you can shop/sightsee etc.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We hate visitors too. Just coz it is SOOOOOOO full on here, and the boys tend to go crazy which leads to tired, impatient, ****ed off visitors...

Sorry, it's not our fault you're not used to 5:30 am mornings, with kids racing through the house, throwing tantrums, babies getting in to cupboards and the possible child with Aspergers having a meltdown because I didn't put the spoon IN his hand.

Sorry, it's not my fault that you can't have a conversation without being interrupted... I have five children, and they all want their Mum.

Sorry, it's not my fault you have to sleep on a mattress... we have 7 people in this house, surely you understood there was no 'guest room'

Yeah... visitors who want to come and stay annoy me. Especially those who then try to ADVISE me on my kids.....

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    But I do love my own space too - I am not one for visitors during the week so much or having ppl turn up unannounced on a weekend that I wasn't expecting anyone. Im not really a pop in for tea kidna thing (could change once bub arrives - i may welcome any adult visitor)

I was just thinking - last weekend I had my Sister, BIL and their 2 boys and my other sister down, this weekend/easter my dad is coming down and will probably stay for a week or so, following week we are in mel for weekend seeing some ppl and weekend after that my SIL is down from QLD for 4days or so. No plans after that yet.

ETA - I just saw PP and I think if I had 5kids I wouldn't really want heaps of visitors either - its just too hard. There is only DH & I and both spare rooms currently have double beds for visitors so its pretty easy to accomodate (for now)
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 04-04-2012 at 15:04.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Love it! We regularly have my two SIL visit and it's so nice to wake up and have breakfast with them and DD loves seeing them too.

We also have my bestie stay with us quite regularly with her hubby, although now there will be a little bubby staying too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Df and I both like our space. Equally we prefer not to stay with family. The only person I'M happy to stay with is my brother, but my brother keeps a totally filthy house, df Is a neat freak. My brothers house is my DFs worst nightmare - and it's not exactly practical with a toddler.

I don't feel comfortable with our parents staying, either parent, but totally happy to have either of our brothers here whenever they want. But our brothers are single men, who can take themselves to the pub etc who also like privacy and space, who are totally respect us as parents because they aren't parents themselves they assume we are doing it right and jasper ADORES his uncles and the feeling is mutual, so they are perfect house guests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to live in Sydney, and my in laws (MIL, SIL, assorted aunts and uncles)lived a couple of hours away. They come to Sydney regularly for various things and used to come and stay for a few days about once a month. MIL got to the point where, as she was leaving, she would "book in" the next weekend that she was staying. And sometimes if she knew she would be staying, she would invite SIL to stay at our place also! I really do like them, I even like them staying. I just didn't like that it was taken foregranted the way it was. They would always say it was to see us, but it was really just free accommodation IMO, as they were always doing something else and we wouldn't see them much.

Anyway, after about 2 years of this, I got annoyed and told them that once a month was just a bit too often for me. Bad conversation. Lot of tears and relationships shaky in all directions. But everyone got over it, and now they sometimes stay somewhere else. We have more of a balance and I can enjoy it a bit more now!

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't mind having people over, when we're at home (currently staying with MIL due to housing issues) there's 3 adults and now 3 children. What's a few more?

I've had my mum come and live with me after her marriage broke up, my dad has stayed for long periods to help out. My other brother lives about 4 hours away so he stays over when he visits (although he whinges about sleeping on the couch ). I've had the younger SIL stay over for extended periods when she was having issues with MIL and would happily have my other SIL and her family stay over if they needed to. FIL and MIL would never ask to stay, so that's a bit of a moot issue but I *guess* I would be ok with it if the need arose.