+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate it, all in my personal space as much as I love them it's awful for me.. It's especially harder now that my family are in NZ and I'm here so they all want to come stay!

I'm dreading going back to and not having my own space while on holiday, they will all find it insulting if I get a hotel... Eek

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate it! The only family member that *needs* to stay is FIL as he lives a couple of hours away. However, the final straw for me was when he rudely invited himself to stay the night I came home from hospital after having my DS. Needless to say he hasn't stayed here since, he only visits for the day now!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    depends on who and for how long. But generally, fish and visitors go off after two days

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We live 2.5 hours from ALL our family so if we are visiting we have to stay!
    Why would I pay to stay in a hotel when they have empty bedrooms with beds that we can all fit in? We are going to see them anyways!!!

I love having people out here for a weekend too!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It has it's downsides sure, the big clean that has to be done before hand, the big expensive food shop, the fact that I'm a private person so anyone gets on my nerves a bit after a couple of days anyway, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

All our family and many of our friends live interstate, so if they come all this way to see us I want to make sure we all get the most quality time together possible, especially for DD's sake. She absolutely adores having her grandparents, aunts ousins and uncle stay with us. I love cooking up a big breakfast for everyone and everyone being able to lounge about in their pyjamas for a relaxed morning, you don't get that when your visitors stay in hotels.

The only exception for us was when a lot of family came to visit when Dd was a week old, we specified no house guests but six members of the family had their accommodation fall through so had to stay anyway. It wasn't ideal but we made it work and it was nice. I feel so strongly about having family stay with us that we have given up our own bedroom on several occasions in order to fit everyone in. Our friends and family must like staying too since everyone could afford a hotel but no one ever chooses to stay in one.

We have friends staying this weekend and inlaws the next weekend. Admittedly I do find two weekends in a row a bit tiring but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love having my BIL's stay over one more then the other cause I find it easier to talk to him, but we have a lot of fun playing board games my boys love having time with their uncles BIL's live over 2 hours away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends who it is.... everytime my SIL would come and stay she would leave the bed unmade, and her dishes in the sink. So i'd say, ""don't forget to make your bed, and wash your dishes... this ain't the hilton''... in a jokey voice.. and she started to do it! LOL. mind you, i was working 60 hours a week, as if i need to run around after somebody who is big enough to do it themselves..

DH would wake up extra early to make her brekkie... (she's 28 btw). and after telling him off for the 20th time, i said to her "look. here in the fridge are eggs, bacon, etc, over here in the cupboard is the frypan. here is the bread, there is the toaster.... go for it''. and she got the point.

When we had our ds we make the spare room his bedroom... and my MIL rings up and demands ""where will your sister sleep?!"" to my dh. um..... nowhere?! Stupid thing is that she lives only 30 mins away. why she felt the need to sleep over is beyond me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Depends on who it is.
    My parents? ... Yeah right!!
    My in-laws are welcome ANY time!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (04-04-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The one time my ILs came to this side of Aus they didn't want to stay with us, didn't rock up until lunchtime always expected lunch and dinner even though we did try numerous times to pre-organize this so we didn't have to run around last minute. Final straw was the one day we were me at to have a family day out and they finally showed up at 1pm no phone call at all. Felt very put out considering they stayed with SIL for 2 weeks before this. Last time we spoke to them, DF refuses too now.

Eta I don't mind having people over, not at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't mind, but I have a limit... I can be welcoming of people staying in my home for a couple of nights. I could probably tolerate them for a couple more after that... But any longer and I can't hack it!