+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Struggling to get my BF DD to take a bottle

I hope I've put this in the right section. It kinda belongs in two lol.

Anyway I'm struggling to get my DD to accept EBM out of a bottle. She's 8 weeks old and I have no BF issues at all. To date she's accepted 2 bottles. One at week 4 cause a few family and friends believed my milk wasn't good enough and that's why DD wouldn't settle in her cot at night. So I caved and gave her a formula bottle. She stuffed around a bit but finally took 40ml. I fed her this bottle The second one was last week as a test of her taking EBM. Again she stuffed around a bit but finally took 40ml. My mum fed her this bottle.

I've tried 3 more times to get her to take a bottle with no luck. DH has tried and my mum has again tried.

The reason I'm trying this so often is DH and I are off to Nitro Circus in 5 weeks time and my mum is babysitting.

I own Tommee Tippee little short stubby bottles. I'm starting to freak out this is never going to work. Should I try a different brand bottle or teat? I don't really know much about this at all. First time mum and BF has been fairly easy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I'm in the same boat but DS is 6 mo! Apparently the pigeon bottles are closest to breast simulation, on DD I used the Tomy Tippee closest to nature teats and she bottle fed EBM well. DS is flat refusing any bottle! Grrrr. I can't leave the little bugger as he is a massive feeder!

Try the pigeon ones you get them in the chemist!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use pigeon wide neck bottles and teats for DS. He is offered a bottle four times a week while I work two days but he only drinks ebm 50% of the time.
    Sorry I don't really have other advice besides getting your DH to keep trying maybe everyday. Have you tried sneaking the bottle in while you're bfing her? Or when she's really sleepy?
    Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I don't have any advice re bottles or how to get your baby to accept them but I just wanted to reassure you that your milk is FINE and to not listen to anyone who says otherwise!! Newborn breastfed babies are often restless and fussy, this is normal.

If you want some breastfeeding reassurance don't hesitate to pop into the breastfeeding section

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How old will she be then?

DD used to take Advent bottles until she was 2 months - and then she wouldn't. I realised that the teat size was too small and I had to go the next size up because she was getting frustrated. She was fine with that until she was about 4.5 months. Then we had to try different brands of teats. We've ended up with the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature being the only type of teat size she would.

Now she's almost 5.5 months and we've gone up another teat size. She doesn't take much sometime, but she's contented with this (she used to get frustrated and then cry when being fed from the other bottles) but she will at least take it from these bottles if she's hungry. She can also hold the bottle which is what she prefers to do because she's little Miss Independent at the moment

So I guess my advice is to try different types of teats (I know some hubbers swear by Pidgeon) and make sure it's the right size. I have quite a fast letdown so I think that's why she was getting frustrated with the smaller teats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also had similar issue with my DD (now 7m). I was trying tomme tippee closer to nature and (like your DD) she would take hardly 50ml .
    I than tried the narrow neck pigeon bottles with peristaltic teats and she has started drinking upto 100-120ml! she actually enjoys the bottle now. The peristaltic teats allows baby to control the flow ,and i guess that helped DD to drink at her pace.
    goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should've written also that the Tommee Tippee bottles I'm trying are the Closer to Nature ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysmama View Post
    Have you tried sneaking the bottle in while you're bfing her? Or when she's really sleepy?
    I did this yesterday. 5 minutes on me then tried switching but she just won't have a bar of it

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    but I just wanted to reassure you that your milk is FINE and to not listen to anyone who says otherwise!!
    Thanks I had great pleasure is proving wrong those that said it. Plus DD is gaining weight like a trooper and she's a chubba bubba so she's getting plenty of milk IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleK View Post
    How old will she be then?
    DD will be 3 months and 1 week old by then.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleK View Post
    So I guess my advice is to try different types of teats (I know some hubbers swear by Pidgeon) and make sure it's the right size. I have quite a fast letdown so I think that's why she was getting frustrated with the smaller teats.
    How do you know if you have a fast let down? When DD latches on she is so loud with her drinking (people often comment they haven't heard a baby like that lol) I joke that she thinks she's never getting fed again so she's just making the most of it

Quote Originally Posted by samar81 View Post
    I than tried the narrow neck pigeon bottles with peristaltic teats and she has started drinking upto 100-120ml!
    A few of you have recommended the pigeon bottles so I'll go get a couple today.

Thanks for all the replies another reason I want this to work us so DH can have some time with DD. He's supportive and helpful to me, but I'd like him to get more contact so he doesn't feel useless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 5mth old who would not take a bottle. He screamed at the mere site of one. I am now pregnant again and became run down with that and trying to breast feed and looking after my 3y.o. I had read everything I could and felt like I had tried everything. I tried 6 types of bottles/teats with no luck. I tried getting others to feed him, using a sipper cup or a syringe and any other advise I could. Finally my mum bought me the wide neck pigeon bottles/teats. I did everything different and to my relief and joy he drank a whole bottle and was happy to do it. I did the following :

Make sure both of you are relaxed.
    Start with expressed milk (before moving to formula after a few feeds if u want).
    Warm the teat in warm water.
    Cover the bottle with something (eg clean tea towel)
    Lay him on the couch with no skin contact. I sat next to him.
    Play with the teat in his mouth rubbing it on his lips and letting him play with it.
    Made it fun by laughing and chatting to him while he smiled back and giggled (this took the stress out of it for both of us)
    After a minute or 2 gently rub the teat on the roof of his mouth (this generally makes them close their mouth around the teat)
    Gentley keep telling him to suck.
    He was able to hold the tea towel wrapped around it while I gently held the bottle to keep it upright.

Good luck to anyone having problems as it is extremly stressful when a baby wont take a bottle and are reliant on only you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should've updated but I had success with the pigeon slim neck bottles. Warming up the teat is a great idea though, thanks!
    Last edited by Mrs E; 15-05-2012 at 20:29.