+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I think my mum is an alcoholic

So recently ive found out my mother is drinking FAR more alcohol on a daily basis than i thought she was.
    I always knew she drank reguarly but only a couple of glasses a night. Now i find out shes drinking around TWO LITRES of wine per night. She was saying she buys a 4ltr cask of wine every 2 days!

NOw my mum and i ahve a great relationship, ive always been able to talk to her about stuff but im not sure how to aproach this issue.

She is in her 50's and in quite poor health, shes on blood pressure meds, vurtigo (sp?) meds, anti-depressants, medication for gout. Now with all this medication she shouldnt be drinking AT ALL, i know that but the amount she is drinking is FAR too much even for someone NOT on medication.

PLease, im after some advice on what i should do about this, im starting to get very worried for her, she cant keeping drinking so much!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As the daughter of a woman who has been an alcoholic for nearly 20 years I can tell you now, if she doesn't see she has a problem, or doesnt want to do anything about it,NOTHING you say is going to stop her from drinking.

I have begged and pleaded with my mum, told her its killing her, tried to emotionally blackmail her with DD, I stopped talking to her, I have tried supporting her, I have tried everything, she has a disease and it always wins.

Every time I call its;

How are you doing mum?

Im good!! SO much better!! I haven't drank for 3 days now love! I'v had enough of it, im really doing it this time, I know I have said it in the past but I dont even miss it now!!'

Oh mum that is so great, well done you! Im so proud of you! Good on ya, remember to just take one hour at a time and call me whenever you need to'.....Knowing full well the next time I call her she will be drunk..

It is emotionally draining and it never stops.

I have no advice unfortunately because I have tried so hard and nothing as worked, shes dying, full of illness caused by the drinking and she still wont stop.

Id love to send you some before and after shots of my mother, it would horrify anyone.
    Sorry to be such a downer..

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (02-04-2012),jennibear  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs to you both

I would just be honest with her. Maybe her admitting how much she is drinking is her way of reaching out?

I believe there is a support group for the loved ones of alcoholics, but I can't remember what it is called. Maybe someone else does?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

jennibear  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to hear that.

My mum is a functioning alcoholic with a full time professional job and has been drinking too much for at least 15 years. She has had numerous health issues because of this and I doubt her liver will hold out for much longer.

It is really hard. She knows she has a drinking problem and has tried to cut back before but has never stopped. She likes drinking too much and doesn't have any intention of stopping anymore. It will kill her within ten years but she's in denial about that.

Its hard. She can be terribly aggressive when drunk and as a kid that was...hard. It's still hard. You can't count on her for anything, ever.

Sorry I don't have any advice. Just in my experience.. If they are aware of the problem and the bad effects and have access to the resources to quit...they won't stop until they want to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EchoSummers For This Useful Post:

jennibear  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Be honest with her but dont expect miracles, my dad almost died I had to keep him breathing the second he got out he was jokinv about going to buy a drink. I had a seeious talk with him but no.. He still drinks, he has cut back abit tho but I doubt he will see all his grandkids reach adulthood

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ash93 For This Useful Post:

jennibear  (03-04-2012)

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any advice but big hugs to you all.

OP can you call AA and ask them for advice?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to missybubble For This Useful Post:

jennibear  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, no advice. We had to wait until Nanna's gout got so bad she couldn't handle the bottle of brandy herself.
    She said she didn't like drinking to excess, but had a different definition of what constituted excessive drinking, and lost count after the second drink so every drink after the first was number 2 in her mind.We then tried decanting 2 std drinks each day into a manageable container for her to mix with as much or as little coke as she liked, so she retained some control over her boozing, and when it was gone it was gone for that day. This method of restricting her to the amount she agreed to when sober turned out to be a satisfactory solution for all parties involved.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

jennibear  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi.. Only new in here, but felt I need to reply.
    My mother has had a severe drinking problem for about 20 years and her drinking turns her into a completely different person.
    In my mothers situation, she would often go through phases of where she would sober up for a few weeks or even months, and that would be great, but the family would never discuss the problem, we would all just be thankful to have our mother/ wife back. Nobody would want to bring up the issue in fear of 'setting her off' into another binge.
    It wasn't until recently that we started to talk about her being an alcoholic when she was actually sober, and she would actually talk to to us about it too. Talking to someone when their on a drunken binge is pointless.
    She has been sober now for nearly a year, but you always wonder how long that may last, as it is a problem that will be with someone for life.
    Obviously just talking about it hasn't helped my mother, she's also got help from her GP, councillors, but not sweeping it under the carpet has helped my mother admit to her problem and she sought the help out herself..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Poppy79 For This Useful Post:

jennibear  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy79 View Post
    Hi.. Only new in here, but felt I need to reply.
    My mother has had a severe drinking problem for about 20 years and her drinking turns her into a completely different person.
    In my mothers situation, she would often go through phases of where she would sober up for a few weeks or even months, and that would be great, but the family would never discuss the problem, we would all just be thankful to have our mother/ wife back. Nobody would want to bring up the issue in fear of 'setting her off' into another binge.
    It wasn't until recently that we started to talk about her being an alcoholic when she was actually sober, and she would actually talk to to us about it too. Talking to someone when their on a drunken binge is pointless.
    She has been sober now for nearly a year, but you always wonder how long that may last, as it is a problem that will be with someone for life.
    Obviously just talking about it hasn't helped my mother, she's also got help from her GP, councillors, but not sweeping it under the carpet has helped my mother admit to her problem and she sought the help out herself..
    That's fantastic she has been sober for a year!!! That must be so tough for her!! A huge congratulations to her! Just shows, it can be done! I know you do wonder how long it will last, but a whole year, that's incredible!! I hope you tell her how proud you are of her.

Jennibear, I guess the main thing is to be there for her, to talk to her about it...pick your moment and bring it up with her, try not to judge, try to be understanding and tell her how worried you are...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

jennibear  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. Its nice to know im not alone. Thankfully she is still able to hold down her job and be involved in her grandkids lives, although im not sure how comfortable i am with leaving her with my kids while shes drinking anymore. I thnk this is the main issue im having. She keeps asking me if Dh and i wana go out for the night and she'll watch the kids. While i would love that im not comfortable leaving her alone with the kids while shes drinking so much (she generally only drinks at night)

I think im just going to have to be honest with her and voice my concerns. Its just a tough one.