+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I were to post something raw and exposing I would think its lovely that people have stopped to reach out and show that while they don't have the answer they're sending their support.

Its what this whole place is for right? People to support each other through their troubles and if their hug bumps my thread then doubly awesome!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (02-04-2012),SuperGranny  (03-04-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    *sits and waits for the first person to offer some to the OP*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's a good point about bumping the thread. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's all I really wanted Bec, but still I haven't even got one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get what you mean OP, I've often thought that all these hugs are great and all but some practical advice would be so much more helpful! And I admit I've been a wee bit annoyed at having to scroll through pages of one line posts of support before you get to a 'real' response.

But I also agree that at least hugs/general support is better than no response at all, and it's really nice to know that people are sort of 'reaching out' even if they can't actually offer experience or advice.

Hmm I'm a bit conflicted there! But overall, despite the occasional drama it's nice that this site has a general atmosphere of care and support and the general hugs definitely contribute to that.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by SD78 View Post
    That's all I really wanted Bec, but still I haven't even got one.
    Well why didn't you say so!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd hug you, but id be afraid you would be grimacing behind my back.

*tentative hug in front of a mirror, facing another mirror so I can see your face*

I ONLY give *hugs* if someone's story has really hit home. I never give insincere hugs.

I will say 'no advice, but here's a hug an a bump' if there are few replies and I feel or the op.

I have once read someone's thread asking for opinions on what was happening re scans/bleeding during preg, and said to myself 'sounds just like how my miscarriage started' and couldn't even bring myself to reply, even though it felt awful leaving it with no replies.

At the time, when people left hugs in my thread about m/c I was like 'that's nice, but skip to the actual answers' but in re-reading the threads, I am so grateful to each person who took a moment to tell me they could see me. An knowing how it felt, when something resounds with me, I tell them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

SD78  (03-04-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You never know when your random and low effort gesture can be very appreciated.

A few years back, a friend of a friend unloaded a whole pile of ugly on me because he needed to talk. The poor guy had been through the wringer.
    All I could do was hug him and say "I'm sorry things are so bad for you".
    A year or so later we bumped into each other again and he thanked me for saving his life. He was certain that if it wasn't for me offering support and letting him talk his feelings out, he would have killed himself.
    I didn't do anything except lend an ear and offer a bit of my own strength.
    It doesn't cost us anything to quickly say "we're listening, we can't experience it but we care".

I feel that typing for a few seconds is a worthwhile use of my time if that person knows that even if I can't relate because I haven't experienced it, at least I can feel empathy for them. I might be a stranger, but I care for the wellbeing of my fellow man/womankind. An online hug may mean little to me, but everything to someone with no one in their corner .

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (03-04-2012),Gandalf  (02-04-2012),Guest654  (03-04-2012),KillerHeels  (03-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (03-04-2012),MissMuppet  (02-04-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (03-04-2012),SuperGranny  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post

I feel that typing for a few seconds is a worthwhile use of my time if that person knows that even if I can't relate because I haven't experienced it, at least I can feel empathy for them. I might be a stranger, but I care for the wellbeing of my fellow man/womankind. An online hug may mean little to me, but everything to someone with no one in their corner .
    Well said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    AB - juicy threads I just subscribe too using tools - no need to post.
    Yes! My pet hate (along with the hugs) is people writing 'subscribing' on threads.

Just use your options to do it, people don't really care if you are subscribing to a thread.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tatia&shura For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (02-04-2012)