+ Reply to Thread
    bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Girls with Aspergers

I am suspecting that my 8yo daughter may have Aspergers. She already has a brother on the spectrum and for years I have written off her social immaturity and difficulties against other difficult girls in her kinder/school. But now I'm realising that her social problems might just stem from her own self. Additionally, she ticks quite a number of the Aspergers' traits. I guess they have always been there, I just never connected the dots before.

I'd really like to hear from other mums who have daughter's with Aspergers, or female relatives with it.

When did you know something was different with your daughter? What Aspergers traits did she possess? What sort of therapies did you undertake for her and did they benefit her?

At the moment I'm trying to get my head around the fact that she might have it and as there is so little literature on girls with Aspergers, I think the best source of information might be from other mums who have gone through it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are about to have dd assessed, having just had ds diagnosed. We noticed issues with dd at around 3, but she seemed to grow out of it. Now at six aim noticing more and more traits that match up, but in a different way to ds. She has lots of anxiety, cannot get why people at school can be unfair or mean or inconsistent, struggles with change, obsesses over worries and thoughts.... You get the picture.
    one thing I did read from our psych was that you shouldn't be fooled by girls; that they can appear Perfect at school etc, and appear to have friends, but that it can be manifesting in crippling anxiety and meltdowns at home. That rang really true for us.
    It is a tricky thing that's fr sure, and we are only just beginning our journey. At least you have some experience already having a child on the spectrum, so will have strategies in place that will help everyone xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My niece was diagnosed at 4 but we knew maybe from about 18 months ( she is a twin and we noticed a lot of differences in development )
    She is now 8, is very intelligent but does not makes friend easily, is very regimented, hates change, is very easily frustrated
    They take her to OT and speech , and are now looking into putting her onto the fail safe diet as recommend by our naturopath

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    We are about to have dd assessed, having just had ds diagnosed. We noticed issues with dd at around 3, but she seemed to grow out of it. Now at six aim noticing more and more traits that match up, but in a different way to ds. She has lots of anxiety, cannot get why people at school can be unfair or mean or inconsistent, struggles with change, obsesses over worries and thoughts.... You get the picture.
    one thing I did read from our psych was that you shouldn't be fooled by girls; that they can appear Perfect at school etc, and appear to have friends, but that it can be manifesting in crippling anxiety and meltdowns at home. That rang really true for us.
    It is a tricky thing that's fr sure, and we are only just beginning our journey. At least you have some experience already having a child on the spectrum, so will have strategies in place that will help everyone xx
    I tick most of the boxes with regards to myself and believe that I identify with Aspergers, but have never been diagnosed. As an adult, I do not believe I would get any benefit perusing a diagnosis.

DD3 is likely on the spectrum. She has always had problems making friends and never felt like she fit in. By grade six, she had a complete meltdown and was having a full on anxiety attack every day before going to school. I switched her to distance education midyear, but she was too far gone and unable to concentrate on her studies. The GP wanted a full assessment to explore options such as ASD, OCD, and ADD, but CY&MH did a one hour interview and said no to ASD but they would like to talk to her teachers at school more to explore ADD. (I heard nothing further on that matter.)

Year seven she returned to school and was fortunate to be placed with a teacher that worked really well with her and brought her out of her shell. She is now enjoying high school. I see many similarities between myself and her and thus think that she is most likely somewhere on the spectrum, but it appears the person who made the call decided against it.

---------------

As for DD2, I have had some official people ask if she has Aspergers, but no doctors have ever mentioned it. She does tick some of the boxes, especially the difficulty coping with change. She has problems at the moment and is getting counselling for them, but no-one has mentioned ASD or anything like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you girls for your answers.

Twotrunks, your daughter sounds very similar to mine socially. For so many years I blamed it on this girl being a bully at kinder or that girl being unkind at school. But this year she has started playing with some girls who are daughters of friends of mine and the mums have told me what my daughter acts like or says with their daughters, and I can see why my daughter is being excluded (I have no reason to doubt these mums, they're actually being very kind about it and trying to encourage the friendships still which is great). My daughter's bad gross and fine motor skills, sensory processing problems (diagnosed at 3) all just add to the picture. Let me know how you go with your daughter's diagnosis!

Sweetseven, good luck with your daughter and yourself! We are suspecting a number of members in both our families might have Aspergers, but one is very old and the other is too arrogant to ever be diagnosed (both are males).

Elijah's mum, I have twins too. One has just been diagnosed with a severe language delay. It's so difficult when they are twins and not on the same par, you even feel guilty for the 'smarter' twin, which is so hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 8 year old is. It seems to take them longer to diagnose girls I think. It seems most girls I come across were diagnosed around 7 to 9, while the boys are diagnosed around 2 to 4.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 5 and was diagnosed last year. She has poor motor skills, says inappropriate things in social situations, has sensory issues, struggles to comprehend abstract concepts. She gets anxious frequently and is angry/frustrated/sad a lot of the time. Lots of behaviour issues (will repeat the same bad behaviour over and over even though she knows there is a consequence). She gets fixated on a particular animal and will memorise facts about the animal.
    I knew she was different at 12 months of age, but nobody listened! As she got older it became more apparent. It is hard to diagnose because they are so intelligent and girls are good at imitating what their peers do.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry to intrude (only asd boys here) but perhaps this book might be beneficial for the parents in here

http://suelarkey.com.au/shopping/pgm...&=SID#MOREINFO

My psych informally dx myself with aspergers, but i didnt pursue it further..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Sorry to intrude (only asd boys here) but perhaps this book might be beneficial for the parents in here

http://suelarkey.com.au/shopping/pgm...&=SID#MOREINFO

My psych informally dx myself with aspergers, but i didnt pursue it further..
    Thanks, I've already read it, great minds think alike!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bgbgbb For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (04-04-2012)