+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default really need help re sleeping and feeding bub!!!! (sorry a bit if a novel)

ok so I am at my wits end with my bub I have mentioned my concerns to a few nurses but they seemed to dismiss it so I am hoping by putting this on bub hub someone else will have been in my position and have advice so here is my story
    my bub is 12 days old and I am having terrible trouble getting her to wake and feed. She sleeps ALL day and I mean all day she is bottle fed so I have to wake her every 4 to 5 hrs just to get her to have a bottle and that is a battle I strip her down take of her nappy that is the only way I can get her to stir I can then usually get her to drink half a bottle before she passes out asleep again and then there is no luck waking her which means she isn't having enough food either. She is awake most of the night leaving my exhausted for the day.
    I just don't know how to get her into an awake sleep pattern during the day when she won't wake at all!!!!
    I need your help

p.s She isn't yellow (some people have suggested she may be yellow hence sleepy but I had a nurse check her colour)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry, big hugs to you. My own experience was that jaundice caused dd to be sleepy, which made her miss feeds, which made the jaundice worse, etc, etc. But if your bub isn't yellow at all then I don't know. Sorry, just couldn't read and not reply. Could you feed her by a window in morning sun, try and set her body clock for her, then for night feeds, feed her in the dark?

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    its a hard age! I found that day sleeps in a brighter noisy room and lots of sunlight helped bub learn day and night. at night it was dark room and quieter.
    we slept when bub slept and ignored the housework etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My second daughter would always fall asleep after only a few minutes of feeding. We had to keep trying different things, like gently squeezing her foot, tickling her, blowing air on her face etc. Nothing that would hurt her obviously, just things that would disturb her to keep her awake a little longer. Have you tried giving her a bath to maybe wake her up a little more? Or running a cold flannel over her face or tummy or something? It does sound a little cruel I guess, but if it helps her get some milk in her belly it will be worth it, and make you feel less stressed about it too. Good luck.