+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What are your opinions?

I recently joined my local gym as they have a child minding room with 3 nice old ladies and lots of toys.

I have never left DS (nearly 1) with anyone other than my parents (whom he loves) but it never crossed my mind that this would be a big deal for him.

I think I've only been 4 times so far and each time I kept to a short 20min run and then would quickly go back to DS because he gets so upset. The first day the ladies actually had to call me back because he was such a blubbering mess. He improves a BIT each time but it's hard to imagine him being fine with it like all the other bubs in the room.

I stay with him for 5-10mins before and after to sort of ease him in and out of the environment and show him that he can have fun while I go work out. The carers pretty much hold him the whole time I'm gone as he would be even worse if just left on the ground!

Is this an unavoidable stage to go through with any child (teaching them that you come back if you need to leave somewhere) or should it be avoided???

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    hmm... it's nice to have that 20 mins to yourself... but it's hard when bubs are upset like that. Is there anyone else he feels comfortable that you could leave him with while you are there? Or would they be okay with you coming in with him a few times a week and just having a 'play' for 15 or 20 mins, so he becomes more comfortable with the room.

He will get more familiar with it with time, it's only been 4 times now... so it's very stressful for him to be left with strangers still.

Or is there any other way you can incorporate your exercise with him? Is it open after hours, do you have a partner who can watch him in the evenings so you can go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the same with dd1 when she was 1ish. It's normal as far as I know. I used to show her a picture of toys - and then a picture of me hugging her & say " mummy will always come back " lol sounds unusual but worked for me. Apparently the longer you stay at the start the more anxiety builds & the longer they will be upset but maybe just do whatever feels right : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's soooo nice to get time to myself. But it would be nice if I knew he was happy Unfortunately I am a single mom and all my family and friends work or study full time.

He hates pram walks so I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a hiking backpack to put him in and he hates that too! So I have no way to exercise WITH him.

Maybe I won't hang around at the start anymore, just afterwards? I think he will get used to it...in time. I wave goodbye with a smile and come back with a smile too. That photo isn't a bad idea actually, haha! I've just been taking his little puppy soft toy that he clings onto for dear life when I leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally sympathise with you. I never left DD now 19 mo with anyone untill 3 mths ago I but the bullet and put her in FDC 2 days a week. DS 6 mo has never been with anyone else - in fact I've just cancelled a hair appointment for tomorrow as DH can't be home and I'm not happy he will settle with my friend who offered to mind him. We have no family here so getting any time to ourselves is sooo difficult. I love running but it's on the back burner for a while untill DS is off the boob and exposed to people for short periods of time without me being in the room. It's so hard especially when you really need a time out.

Hugs!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we found dd went through stages. she was in creche from 12weeks, but would still refuse to go sometimes.
    she goes to daycare 1day a week now, runs to the door and cries when its time to leave!
    due to our schedules atm I'm gymming 2evenings a week, and when dh takes dd for a swim

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sometimes work in the creche at a gym (I'm normally the nutrition coach but I like doing a few hours with the kiddies now and again when it's busy - way more fun!). I second the not hanging around too long advice - at the beginning it's fairly easy to distract littlies with exciting toys etc but the longer Mum stays the harder it gets. We get a few tears especially from the under 2's but generally it all stays pretty relaxed. The bulk of our kidlets are regulars who all love coming, know all the girls by name and have their favourite toys/videos/dress up outfits. All of them had to start somewhere too, so persevere with your little guy and I'm sure he'll settle before long. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmmm that's a tough one. I think my gut is telling me "He is so upset but he needs to get used to it." I started giving him that doggy soft toy I was talking about ever since starting gym there and he clings to it a lot now. I'll see how he handles another couple of weeks and if he doesn't improve then I'll most probably put an end to it

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hope hes a bit happier soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the gym is open today and my mom is off work as it is easter Monday. I think I'll drag her with to spend my whole workout session with Spencer. He'll like that