+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Playground Ettiquette??

This morning I was at a playground I hadn't been to before, the play equipment was a bit advanced for my 19 mo DD so she was just running around as she does watching the other kids play. I'm pretty easy going and where there is no immediate danger I tend to let her discover things for herself. Anyways I was moving DS 6 mo out of the sun and had my back turned for a second. In this time DD ran towards the swings, there was a lady there pushing her DD high and my DD just ran around the back of the swing, the girl on the swing was swinging forward at the time but I agree that DD would have had a nasty accident if she was hit by the swing. The lady pushing the swing was furious with me and said "for goodness sake " she was muttering under her breath shaking her head. I apologised to her and tried to explain to DD she needed to be more careful. I am a responsible mother and felt like sh@t. I do think however that the lady should have been more mindful of other kids as well, it wasn't just my DD near the swing.

If DD is doing something that might endanger or hurt another child (ie not waiting long enough to come down the slide) then I intervene.

So my question is - is it generally acceptable to let your child roam free in a gated playground whilst watching from a distance?

I want DD to learn possible danger situations but I would never intentionally put her in the way of danger.

Please don't judge me I feel judged enough already today and struggling with whether the judgement was harsh or just rude!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's perfectly fine, I'm not a helicopter parent either.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (02-04-2012),Gandalf  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tbh if I was the mother pushing my child in a swing I would hope that all children in the playground were not allowed to roam right near the swing as yes I have seen what can happen when a child in a swing hits another child on the ground. I wouldn't have said anything though .

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (02-04-2012),Maybelline  (02-04-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Don't stress

I did tend to hover over mine at that age in the playground I will admit not so much now (my youngest is 4 now) - although they had great gross motor skills at 19mths they just coildn't perceive the dangers iykwim? Especially around swings etc.?...I have taught mine to walk behind the grown up pushing (ie not in front of the swings) if they must go past the swings
    Don't stress, it may just have been her reflex reaction at the situation and not really aimed at you
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 02-04-2012 at 11:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think your being too hard on yourself and that women is just angry. Surely her child was at that stage not so long ago.

Recently at a park my almost 6 yr old (autistic) did the same thing, and the women pushing her child guided my girl out of the way of harm. I was grateful to her. I would never get angry about a child being a child! Kids don't understand the concept of getting hit by a swing coming back!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LivinOnAPrayer For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let mine roam but I am watching and not afraid of yelling something at them if they are about to get hit by a swing or something else..
    My 5 year old has no idea of danger around swings so he knows not to go near them unless I am there.

But if I was the mother pushing my child on the swing I would of just stopped her from swinging and told your dd to move away a little so she didn't get hurt. I wouldn't yell at her or you.. It isn't that hard to look out for others around you at a park..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    swings go in a set path...pushing your kid on them nice and high is exactly what they are for...and you can't stop them suddenly.

It is up to the other kids parents to keep them out of the way....

HOWEVER...kids are kids and sometimes they do totally unpredictable things and mums often have more than one lil one to watch at the park

SO...it is a joint thing.

If a kid came running up and was in danger...the village aspect takes over and you grab the kid (if about to get knocked flying) or yell a warning to them (nicely...warning them not yelling at them). There is no need for anger or muttering etc

She was being a bit rude...you did nothing wrong. CLose calls happen all the time and as a community, we need to look out for all the kids near us.

I have been on both sides of that scenario...and in all cases it was friendly..both sides saying "whoops" and making sure all the kids involved were ok. I actually made a really good friend after her kid on the swing knocked my lil one flying when he did an unexpected dash lol, we met up in the same park for coffee and play for the next year or so.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (02-04-2012),MissMuppet  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people just need a reason to be angry. This isn't the first nor last time a kid has ever walked too close to a swing It's really no drama, just hold the kid on the swing out of the way while the little one passes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't have said anything to you, these things happen, but I think a 19 month old needs you fairly close by in a playground where there are bigger kids and especially kids on swings. Until they're at an age where they know to steer clear of the swings and are not going to just fall off the bigger equipment I dont think you can just sit back.

My DD is nearly four and can manage all those things but most good parks we go to tend to be huge with many exits, out of view areas, they do not have gates and are very busy so DF or I are with her at all times, I worry about her being snatched :/ if neither of us are feeling energetic enough we just find a quiet park where we can see her all the time while we sit back

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bada For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it is fine to let them roam.
    I act differently depending on the playground and the amount of people there. If it's fenced and not many people i let them roam and just watch from a distance but if there are heaps of people i tend to hover (more so because i worry about my kids pushing another kid or hogging the slides or something and a parent going crazy at me about it or losing them in the crowd). If the equipment is a bit advanced for them i hover also.