+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Which wrap/carrier for NB/older child (Im large sized)

So I am quite confused about wraps/carriers. What did you use for NB and what about when tehy were a little older?

I hear great things about ergo - but I just went to their site and they have quite a few products. Plus it doesn't tell you how long straps are and Im not sure they would fit around my belly? If you have an ergo, which model? did you buy the attachment for it? They have inserts for NB so do you use them or do you think there is a better style for NB?

I was also thinking some slings/wraps? Like a ring sling and also a wrap - I really like the look of Storchenwiege wraps? Has anyone used these? Are they completely impossible to tie and use on your own? http://www.karritreelane.com/store/i...&productId=188

Does anyone have the maya wrap? It kinda seem to be a combo of a wrap/carrier? This could be good if the normal wrap is may to hard to use?

I have also heard hug-a-bub is good?

Im in cooler region on Vic, but bubs is due in November and I am a very warm person anyway so don't want anything too hot.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I ha that exact wrap for DD but I sold it before she was born IMO if you have never wrapped before your better off starting with a stretch wrap (a hug a bub or a moby) I loved my RS in the early days too after about 3-4 months I move onto the ergo, there is a comparison chart here http://help.ergobaby.com/getattachme...J0LnBkZg%3D%3D

I did have the extension strap for my ergo while I was utd with DS2 just be aware that from memory it doesn't suit all there carriers, but check this as things may of changed.

P.S you might find a linen RS cooler than a wrap, I have a sukra (sp?) bloom one but I love the oscha designs they are much less bulky for around the house esp if you are just snuggling bub and not doing anything strenuous, I use back carry in my ergo when I'm 'doing housework' and my RS if I'm not.
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 02-04-2012 at 11:14.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    thanks thermy - what is RS - ring sling?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    thanks thermy - what is RS - ring sling?
    Yep

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use a Manduca and can't recommend it enough. It's suitable from newborn to toddler. I do love ergo's for toddlers, but I found as a newborn Mik got really swallowed up by it and the newborn insert I found a bit uncomfortable. The manduca has a built in insert and a zip out section to make it longer or shorter. It's awesomesauce

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thermy - whats the difference b.w moby/hugabub and the storch? Is it because they are stretcher and wider they are much easier to use/tie?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey

For a wrap, the hug-a-bub is great, except it is literally just a long piece of stretchy material (meaning I don't believe it's worth the $$ - you can easily make it yourself). I made mine by buying 5m of stretch jersey cotton from Spotlight (cost $11!). I then youtubed hug-a-bub tying methods. If you are worried about the length, you could always buy more material. If you do choose to get the actual hug-a-bub, I do believe they have plus sizes available if you are worried about length.

I liked using the wrap in the very early days and then went on to the Ergo fairly quickly. We chose the Ergo sport because DH is quite broad (the waist and shoulder straps are longer). I love the Ergo It's really simple to put on and less fiddly than wraps and it's easy to get bub in and out. I never bothered with the infant insert - when he was little I just froggied his legs and then popped a rolled up wrap behind him and he was nice and snug.

I haven't had experience with the other carries that you mentioned.

ETA: I had a sling for DS1 (the peanut shell), but I really didn't like it. It really hurt my shoulders because the weight was not evenly distributed. It got worse and worse as he got heavier; I only used it a handful of times and then gave it to a friend. It may have just been that type though...but yeah I personally don't like wearing one-shouldered carriers.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 02-04-2012 at 11:31.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Moby/Hugabub are stretchies, so only suitable for the first few weeks and not suitable for back carries. Woven wraps such as the Storch can be used for any weight bub and are suitable on your back or front.

I briefly had a woven wrap, and as much as I absolutely loved it and wished I was as clever as Thermie, I could not do back carries, I was way too unco to tie them. I used a stretchie wrap (like a hugabub but not) for the first few weeks of Miki's life before I got my Manduca and it was great. I tried a woven with zero success.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks guys!

My sewing skills aren't too bad (not great) - so I think I could attempt to make a hug-a-bub/moby.

I do like the storch, but like you have both said - using them isn't that easy. I guess the benefit it you can use them when bub is a bit older.

Thanks for the tip on the manduca - I just went to google it and it seems to have amazing reviews and overcomes some of the limitations of the ergo. (I think it has a bigger waist too which I would I need).

RS - those who used them did you find bub was too low like under your boobs? I am a bit freaked since my sister told me about a mum at her hospy who accidently suffocated her bub with her boob But I heard they were great because you don't have to tie them like the normal storch wrap? and you don't want something really fitted like a carrier?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladies, what did you use for front carrying when you didn't want a really structured carrier with clips etc? Or is the manduca/ergo so comfy you just used it all the time.

I am thinking kinda around the house/at home (i spose along the lines of natural parenting where you would be carrying the child the majority of the time).

If you can't use the stretchy one when they are bigger? What do you use?