+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Question regarding ready to drink formula cartons

Hi all

I have bought some ready to drink cartons of formula as I am going overseas & wanted to have a mixture of sterilised water & ready to drink cartons with me to cover all basis.

Then I wondered if instead of carrying the cartons around with me if I could just pour them into my sterilised bottles & have that with me too? But, how long can they be in the bottles for? In the carton they last for a few weeks & have been in my pantry as I don't think they need to be refrigerated. So can I put them in my bottles & have them in there for only 2 hours? Or can I have them in the bottles for 20 hrs? I am confused.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Once the carton is open you have to treat it like fresh milk. Short lifespan.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just read on their website that if prepared in advance it has to be used within 24hrs but only if it is refrigerated at 4 degrees.

Looks like I will just take a mixture with me & hope that customs don't make me open the cartons because then I would have to discard them as they would spill everywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree! I think it will say on the carton that once it's open it must be refridgerated and only lasts x-amount of hours.

Also, make sure your DS has tried one before you head off... my DS wouldn't drink them.

Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mill For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you mean for when you are travelling? I wouldn't open the cartons before going through airport security. They are fine with formula powder and sealed packets but not open ones.

I would just leave them in the cartons and open as needed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mill View Post
    Agree! I think it will say on the carton that once it's open it must be refridgerated and only lasts x-amount of hours.

Also, make sure your DS has tried one before you head off... my DS wouldn't drink them.

Good luck!
    even if it is the same brand of formula he is on anyway?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I honestly can't remember. We used Karicare formula but I'm not sure what the pre-made ones were... it was a while ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mill View Post
    Sorry, I honestly can't remember. We used Karicare formula but I'm not sure what the pre-made ones were... it was a while ago.
    lol no worries, he is on Nan Pro Gold 1 & the cartons are the same too. Hopefully all goes ok.

I am going to take enough sterilised bottles with water in them anyway, but am going to take some ready to drink cartons, some sachets & my tin of formula too. That should cover everything lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think having a selection of things is the way to go. I remember a couple of years ago when I travelled overseas I was asked to open and take a sip of most of my ready made formula cartons which meant that I then had a throw some straight in the bin as I knew they wouldn't keep. (I tried to explain this to them, but they didn't care!) It left my daughter short of formula for the trip, so I had to buy some new formula cartons from the shops in the airport once I got through security, but unfortunately they didn't have the same ones that my daughter was used to. I don't know if they are still this strict with ready made formula, but it sure shocked me at the time. I made sure I travelled with powder formula for future trips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Did you buy them at a pharmacy. ? I'd get them labeled and letter from her gp. Every bit helps!