+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    He did get into the habit of waking through the night sometimes twice for a bottle but I now don't give him milk through the night, I keep a bottle of water in his cot instead which he can reach if he wants. He grizzled the first few nights I didn't give him a bottle but soon settled when he knew he wasn't going to get his way. He sleeps much better now.
    This is a great idea. I have tried to give her water in the past but she just continues to scream with her eyes closed as though she is still asleep until I replace it with milk. If I leave it long enough she wakes up completely. But if I brace myself for a few sleepless nights I might be able to get her to take it instead of the milk. She may even sleep through again and eat more during the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    Yeah I getcha. There isn't anything wrong with that - I'm trying to reduce my nearly 1yo's breastfeeds so that he's on more solids sometime in the near furture....but 12 months is certainly not the age to cut milk out completely! And at 10months his diet was probably 99% milk, haha.

You're so lucky to still be breast feeding. Unfortunately it didn't work out do well for dd and I.

When do they stop having milk altogether? I am finding so much conflicting information out there. I was told to start solids at 4 months. I tried this but DD didn't really respond to it. I tried again at 5 months and then again around 6. I later found out that starting before 6 months has no beneficial effects and if anything can be more harmful as food isn't as nutrient rich as milk. I also found spoonfeeding a nightmare and so preferred to let her have chunks of food to taste and play with. This worked really well but she didn't really seem to eat too much of it. I have just recently found out that it's called baby led weaning and there are heaps of books out there about it.

I am finding the whole food thing a difficult concept. I'm not sure if she's getting enough nutrients or if she's hungry at night so that's why she wakes up.

Sometimes I think work was soooo much easier

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing.

Guest Guest
    Ive found taking their lead to be a good way of doing things. Both mine have naturally dropped bottles and increased solids and every baby is different. If she's demanding the milk I'd keep offering, but just offer food first. Having 3 meals sounds pretty good to me though, my dd didn't even start solids till 8months, at 13months she's down to 3bottles and sometimes 1 overnight. My ds still has a bottle, he's 2.5yrs old.
    But yeah at 10months I wouldn't force much change yet. (except trying the water, I'd actually try that if those feeds are more for comfort)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone. I was starting to think I wasn't giving her enough nutrients. All the mothers and aunties were telling me that she should be fully weaned by 12 months and that I had left it too late in starting solids. She definitely prefers to munch on food by herself than to be spoon fed. I am definitely going to do the water thing, probably over Easter as things will be a little more settled then. She has some teeth now and so I am worrying that the night bottles will start decaying them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by giggleandhoot View Post
    You're so lucky to still be breast feeding. Unfortunately it didn't work out do well for dd and I.

When do they stop having milk altogether? I am finding so much conflicting information out there. I was told to start solids at 4 months. I tried this but DD didn't really respond to it. I tried again at 5 months and then again around 6. I later found out that starting before 6 months has no beneficial effects and if anything can be more harmful as food isn't as nutrient rich as milk. I also found spoonfeeding a nightmare and so preferred to let her have chunks of food to taste and play with. This worked really well but she didn't really seem to eat too much of it. I have just recently found out that it's called baby led weaning and there are heaps of books out there about it.

I am finding the whole food thing a difficult concept. I'm not sure if she's getting enough nutrients or if she's hungry at night so that's why she wakes up.

Sometimes I think work was soooo much easier
    It's all so confusing isn't it? I started BLW on DS when he was 7 or 8 months old and at first I stressed out about how little he was eating too, but just kept telling myslef that he's getting lots of milk and that's the most important thing ATM. He still doesn't eat much but he eats more than back then (quantity and variety) so I know that there is a slow improvement happening. I'll only stress again if he hits 13/14 months and is still pecking at his plate like a sparrow, haha. He still feeds at night once or twice too, but it's for comfort not for hunger.

Oh, and I don't think there's a rule on when to cut out milk but I'd think the minimum is 2 years?

Good luck with the night time water bottles! Hope it works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to post the exact same thread a few days ago!

DS is also on Neocate... he has 4 bottles a day and will drink anywhere between 120-180mls as well as 3 solid meals

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    It's all so confusing isn't it? I started BLW on DS when he was 7 or 8 months old and at first I stressed out about how little he was eating too, but just kept telling myslef that he's getting lots of milk and that's the most important thing ATM. He still doesn't eat much but he eats more than back then (quantity and variety) so I know that there is a slow improvement happening. I'll only stress again if he hits 13/14 months and is still pecking at his plate like a sparrow, haha. He still feeds at night once or twice too, but it's for comfort not for hunger.

Oh, and I don't think there's a rule on when to cut out milk but I'd think the minimum is 2 years?

Good luck with the night time water bottles! Hope it works.
    It's good to know that the not eating much food thing is normal and that they are still getting most of what they need from their milk. I'll let you know how the water bottles go. I'm hoping it works too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    I was going to post the exact same thread a few days ago!

DS is also on Neocate... he has 4 bottles a day and will drink anywhere between 120-180mls as well as 3 solid meals
    How old is he? Was he put on Neocate for food allergies? DD was put on it because of reflux, very bad wind, diarrhoea and hunger (apparently I wasn't producing enough even after natural therapies, mollitium and expressing). They thought the cause of all the tummy problems was a lactose intolerance. She seems to be handling the tiny bits of dairy I have given her and hasn't shown any side of food allergies. I wonder whether she had been put on it a bit prematurely