+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weaning: should my 10 month old be having less bottles?

Hello everyone

Just hoping I can get some advice about how much food my 10 month old is eating and how many bottles she is having.

DD has never changed the amount of formula she is drinks even after increasing meals to 3 per day. She drinks 6-7 bottles (120ml) in 24 hours. That probably doesn't sound like much but she is on Neocate (a special formula I get on script) which seems to prescribe a lesser amount than over the counter formulas. However she still drinks less than what is recommended for her age (5x 240ml). She always has drunk less. I haven't weighed her recently but last time she was on the 75th percentile for both height and weight. She still looks pretty healthy.

As far as solid foods go I have been doing a combination of BLW and spoon feeding. I let her choose how much she wants to eat and never force feed her with the spoon. Sometimes she eats all her mushy food. Other times she won't eat any of it. Until recently I didn't think she swallowed any of the chunky foods she was given to suck on but thought it was important for her to have so she could play with it and feel the different textures. I also wanted to make meal times a fun time for her. She has about 3 meals a day sometimes with snacks. She also always has a formula bottle on the go. I offer her water in a sippy cup at meal times.

How do I get her to eat more food and drink less bottles?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Food before 1 is just for fun, regardless of how they get their milk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At ten months I started offering food before his lunch bottle, are you offering food or bottle first?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    At ten months I started offering food before his lunch bottle, are you offering food or bottle first?
    She has breakfast first and then a bottle. She usually has 1 and a half during the morning and I always give her a bottle after her meals. She does drink 2-3 bottles during the night though and the last one is often around 5 or 6 in the morning. If she has one at that time she'll go back to sleep til 7/7.30. I am hoping if she eats more during the day I'll be able to get rid of the night bottles (which is another problem all together)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    maybe u might have to cut her bottle feeds down...u could try cutting 1 bottle down by half the amount so she only getting half the amount in that 1 bottle just to give her something but not filling her right up (if that make sense) & that way she shouldnt be starving hungry either & do that for a week then cut the other half of the bottle out & see how u go from there. Hopefully she will want to eat some more solids then even if its just that 1 more spoon full at the start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't, as a PP said "food before 1 is just for fun." At 10months, she should preferably be having more milk than solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    I wouldn't, as a PP said "food before 1 is just for fun." At 10months, she should preferably be having more milk than solids.
    when i was weaning my DS (will be 3 in few weeks) the Doctor told me to get him off the bottle by 12months. I wasn't saying cut out 2 or more bottles just a little bit even if cutting out half a bottle fora month or so then the other half bottle the next month or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by larazie View Post
    when i was weaning my DS (will be 3 in few weeks) the Doctor told me to get him off the bottle by 12months. I wasn't saying cut out 2 or more bottles just a little bit even if cutting out half a bottle fora month or so then the other half bottle the next month or so.
    Yeah I getcha. There isn't anything wrong with that - I'm trying to reduce my nearly 1yo's breastfeeds so that he's on more solids sometime in the near furture....but 12 months is certainly not the age to cut milk out completely! And at 10months his diet was probably 99% milk, haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My bub has been having 3 meals of solids plus snacks in between and has 2-3 180ml bottles of formula during the day. He has a bottle before bed too. He has pretty much been on that regime for the past 3 mths or so. He turned 1 yesterday. At 12mths food becomes more important than milk but I'm happy to continue with things as they are, he gets a good variety and isn't a fussy eater. He did get into the habit of waking through the night sometimes twice for a bottle but I now don't give him milk through the night, I keep a bottle of water in his cot instead which he can reach if he wants. He grizzled the first few nights I didn't give him a bottle but soon settled when he knew he wasn't going to get his way. He sleeps much better now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by larazie View Post
    Thanks Larazie. I'm definitely going to try that. The dr wants her off the Neocate by 12 months but I think I'm then meant to put her onto a over the counter formula which are all cows milk based. Once she does that I font really want her having too many bottles