+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So far I haven't found toys too bad because a lot of the stuff from Fisher Price, etc are gender neutral. I don't know why they don't make all toys like that though - lots of different bright colours for everything, regardless of the target gender.

I am hating things like sippy cups, etc being lots of blue or pink.

I've got all of DS larger things, bumbo, bouncer, etc gender neutral too.

I'm not fussed about putting him in blue, but am disheartened by the lack of variety for boys. Shops tend to have a huge section for girls clothes compared to boys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    It's true.
    DS wanted a toy kitchen when he was 3, so we bought him one and received some strange responses from visitors as it looked so girly (mainly pink).
    He also loved the Dora show and we bought him a Dora doll for Christmas one year (he still cringes to this day when we remind him, lol)
    There definitely needs to be more variety with unisex items.
    My DS loves Dora too- he points to the TV and demands BapPap haha. We got him a pink Dora toothbrush. Wish they made boy Dora stuff

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boost For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I got DD a Smoby kitchen at a garage sale and I love it because it's in 'real' kitchen colours which not only makes it soo cute but also gender neutral if we should have a boy. I try to get gender neutral for DD as much as possible but often it's just not a choice or has been received as a gift. I often check the boys clothing section too because the clothes are so much more practical (try finding a good parka for a girl that won't leave them drowning in itchy fake fur or snagging the bedazzling/uneccesary belt!).

I totally get the frustration. I had to get a boy's present the other day and found a cool cash register which itself was gender neutral but they put it in a pink box!

I also get dismayed at the fact that 'boys' toys are sooo boy and visca versa. The new Lego Friends range is so girly, but I've got it for DD because she only wanted to build so many cars and helicopters. She got the treehouse which she loves - and I bet any boy would also love, if not for the fact that it's got so many bits to make it more 'girly'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If you look, there are lots of gender-neutral coloured items out there! Toys R Us often has kitchens in more realistic colours, so does Ikea. There's also some good ones at the Early Learning Centre.

We have a blue pram too - a Fisher Price toy stroller that has a "rainforest" look... it's mostly green and blue and got monkeys and stuff on it... works well for either sex child.

I tend to find "boy stuff," is often in more gender neutral colours than girl stuff though... but there are great finds out there!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought at first that I'd hate having to buy clothes for a boy but if I'm honest, it doesn't really bother me. There's some really gorgeous clothes out there for boys (mini corduroy jeans and a collared shirt anyone? *gush*). But I agree that it's very hard to buy gender neutral coloured things like kitchen and cleaning sets. Fisher Price have a good kitchen set that's 'normal' colours, but is quite expensive.
    Very frustrating. I don't mind DS having pink, but the fact of the matter is that ALL pink is a bit much for me because I hate the colour! Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After 2 girls, I'm loving buying boys stuff! There is awesome stuff out there if you look in the right place- I bought basically DS's entire wardrobe for his first year online- gap, old navy, carters, Oshkosh, see Kai run shoes with a little pumpkin patch and Mothercare thrown in. I'm loving dressing him, and am already starting to look for cool toys for pressies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So true! I can top that by saying I posted a pic of ds on fb wearing a white hat, fully white, with like a little frill on the side. And a friend commented saying 'that just looks wrong, poor little girl uh boy'! Wth! Thats a bit sad I find, who gives a flying sh**!!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For anyone who is interested, it's apparently really easy to make kitchens and you can paint them whatever colour you want There are loads of examples on pinterest, where people have turned old pieces of furniture into a childs play kitchen, added a little curtain and some paint, and most of the time they look way better than the expensive ones at the shop.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is so hard to find gender neutral toys like prams, dolls, kitchens. I actually found some prams in a catalogue recently that were available in pink & blue. What if you've got a child of both genders? I found a red toy pram at ToysRUs a few years ago and I'm so glad I did - ds loves it (ok, so he's such a boy - he uses it to crash into things!).

As for clothes I find baby boy stuff adorable and I've been quite disappointed in baby girl stuff ... I hunt high & low sometimes to find something I like for my dd (Best & Less is where I have the most success).

As for older children's clothes well as long as your boy (from size 4) likes Ben Ten (which is suitable for 8+ year olds I think!), being naughty or messy or rude ... then you can find plenty of suitable clothes. Otherwise it can be annoyingly tricky. And just walking past the older girls clothes (especially from size 7 up) fills me with dread ... they look like adult clothes, only in smaller sizes ... eik!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well just came home from the markets today and loads of stalls have creative and cute little girls clothes but no boys clothes in sight. I would love to see a bit more of a range of boys clothes around.