+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default question for those with boys ... and even girls!

I've heard and said it myself 'boys clothes are just not cute' - I see rows and rows of gorgeous little girls clothes and then two racks of boys that are just ... not the style I'm fond of.

Anywho - question for those with boys - do you get frustrated when you try and buy something that both a boy and girl could use - eg - a play kitchen - and they are always in pink. I've found some gender neutral ones but they are so much more expensive. Now - my boy has some toys that have pink through them but when they are so concentrated with pink - it's a real put off.

I too would love to see a pink tool set for my son's little girlfriends. I really wanted to get my son an ironing board - (he only sees daddy doing the ironing in this household - it's against my religion ) and yep - you betcha - PINK!

Would love to know the frustrations of other mums and dads when trying to buy toys or imagination play that are really geared to a stereotype.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes it drives me batty!! We ended up making a kitchenette but the ikea ones are gender neutral (also check out ikeahackers). Every time I see kids baby stuff that is pink I want to vomit, most boys will be parents one day too!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would like to see more colours, but only because I don't like pink. It's probably my least favourite colour. He does have a pink pram, pink baby doll and a few other bits, but I'm not bothered in the slightest that he is a boy with pink things. I'm more bothered that they are garish and tacky looking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My lil man's only 21weeks but I'm already finding it a bit disappointing that clothes/accessories etc are much more creative for girls and those that meet the mark for boys are often pricey I sense a business op out there for someone.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually think that boys clothes are cuter, just less variety. We dress DS (20 months) almost exactly the same as his dad- it's so adorable! Im not into all blue stuff either. I tend to buy things like his furniture/ large neutral toys in red, yellow or green. My mum thought I was crazy for buying a red Bumbo because 'boys need blue'. What evs Mum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I totally agree Deville! have been shopping around for my DS's up coming 1st birthday and have had a similar experience to you. There are awesome gender neutral things out there but they are all on the expensive side.

With clothes I hate black for small children and so many are especially in more reasonable priced department stores. Or they have a lot of logos or silly writhing on them.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I would like to see more colours, but only because I don't like pink. It's probably my least favourite colour. He does have a pink pram, pink baby doll and a few other bits, but I'm not bothered in the slightest that he is a boy with pink things. I'm more bothered that they are garish and tacky looking.
    Yes, I should of been more accurate I'm not opposed to my boys having pink things, it just seems that everything 'girl' related is pink! Why?!?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Yes, I should of been more accurate I'm not opposed to my boys having pink things, it just seems that everything 'girl' related is pink! Why?!?
    I have no idea, but it's pretty annoying. It drives my sister batty (she has a DD).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same problem. I van get lots of stuff for girls but boys clothes are hard. Getting toys neutral colours are hard too. I don't mind pink or blue but I hate being restricted by it.

Sent from my HTC Legend using BubHub

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's true.
    DS wanted a toy kitchen when he was 3, so we bought him one and received some strange responses from visitors as it looked so girly (mainly pink).
    He also loved the Dora show and we bought him a Dora doll for Christmas one year (he still cringes to this day when we remind him, lol)
    There definitely needs to be more variety with unisex items.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Boost  (01-04-2012)