+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh the other think I tried was a breast milk thickener. It helped with my bubs reflux and also kept a little more in his tummy for longer. The brand is karicare. You can give before or after a feed as a gel mixed with breast milk. You are doing a great job breastfeeding your baby will thank you later. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are doing such a great job!! I can't comment about the reflux as I have no personal experience, but you have already received some fabulous advice

The only comment I will make is this. When DS was around 10-13weeks, I found that I was ALWAYS second guessing myself and always thinking that I wasn't making enough milk (all the signs were there that I was but as soon as they cry it's easy to think they're hungry!). I think for me, the hardest thing about breastfeeding is not 'knowing' or seeing how much they are getting from you. Once you learn to trust that amazing body of yours and know that it is finely tuned into knowing what your son needs, the better!

Also, try not to listen to everyone's 'friendly' advice that he is hungry. Yes they are just trying to help but you know him best and their comments will just cause you stress! You are doing a great job and it's so normal at some stage to get worried about supply, etc (again not commenting on the reflux).

Well done and keep up the great work. Never suffer in silence. Bubhub, ABA, friends/family are always there for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks milki and Sarah!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, have you had a look at his nappies? Are they green or frothy at all? Just a thought I'd had due to the unsettled behaviour and large weight gains that it could actually be a slight oversupply rather than another issue.

If you think this may be the case, google "Hindmilk/foremilk imbalance" or give the ABA a call on 1800 mum 2 mum (or feel free to PM me).

It may not be this, but just thought I may mention it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MySurpriseBaby. Not frothy but sometimes slimy...could that be it? I am not taking any dairy, soy or wheat either...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds had silent reflux and he used to scream mid-feed or after a feed and seemingly wanted to feed for hours on end. He went onto Zantac and got into a nice routine of feeds without too much screaming. He had some horrid days of being very miserable, but his good days got more & more frequent as he got older. The good news for you is that silent reflux is often at it's worst at 6 - 8 weeks and then slowly improves, so if you've made it to 13 weeks, things should get better now.

We considered formula and tried it once (cause my ds seemed starving) and it just made things a lot worse. His paed agreed, saying it's common for parents of reflux bubs to think bubs are starving and offer formula top-ups, but it just makes the reflux worse cause the bubs tummy is too full.

A dummy worked wonders for my ds and helped him feel better. Sucking really comforted him, but the more milk he got the more distressed he became.

Your milk supply should be matching bubs needs, I'm not sure that you need to be on stuff to boost your supply. I'd be weaning off all that and seeing what happens.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

CamD  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Statistically wise, babies don't often react to things in your diet. That's not to say it doesn't happen, just that its better to rule out other more common causes before getting to the point where you are having to adjust your diet.

When I read your post, the things that I thought it could possibly be were:

1. Oversupply - plenty of wet nappies, unsettled after a feed irrespective of being up or reclined, milk coming out quite quickly at the start of a feed, baby may choke/cough initially when trying to cope with milk flow, high weight gains, nappies are often green tinged (not the normal mustard yellow colour) or frothy and there's lots of poo!
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-.../too-much-milk

2. Reflux - baby is unsettled after a feed but improves if held in upright position, medication helps, sometimes changing feeding position helps.

3. Low supply - based on gains etc I don't think this would be the case

4. Diet related - as said before, maybe check the others first.

I don't know if any of that helps at all. If you think that one of those sounds like it might be the case I can go through what you can do to improve it. Otherwise, please do call the breastfeeding helpline. These counsellors are trained and can go through things in much more detail than I can in writing!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysurprisebaby For This Useful Post:

CamD  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would not be suspecting low supply. I would be suspecting either a baby that likes to suck - what happens if you just keep going? It's totally normal for baby to want to keep sucking until he has dropped off for sleep. I would just keep going or put in a carrier or offer distraction.

Reflux should also be ruled out - the flow on milk may be soothing a sore throat / tummy.

With a baby a little older, I have found this Can start (no amount of breast milk satisfies) as the baby gears up to being ready and interested in solids. Your baby is really too young for that though.

I guess to me just sounds like a baby liking to suck and suck, and I would be interested to know what happens when you let him. Don't worry about there being no milk, this is never really the case as the breast continually replenishes. The reflux should be looked into to though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

CamD  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After reading mim1's post it really does sound like it could be silent reflux - your experience sounds really similar mim1