+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding support...

Hello yummy mummies, I'm after some BF support and ideas. I have my heart set on breastfeeding but I am finding it very hard.
    DS is 13 weeks old and in the 99th percentile for length since birth. Despite adequate weekly weight gain, wet nappies etc he is still hungry at the end of a feed and starts to cry! It's heartbreaking as he does this 70% of day time feeds. People comment that he is still hungry but I am empty and he does not keep sucking if it's not coming fast! It means that I only feel confident to feed at home where I can distract him afterwards and don't feel bad in front of others - although it sounds like I am keeping my baby hungry, I have been assured by several lactation consultants that he is gaining well. In just 4 days last week he gained 140g
    I can usually distract him and he settles within 10 minutes but I feel terrible. Should I be topping him up with formula?
    Has anyone else had this and what did you do? I take fenugreek, blessed thistle, have taken motilium, I pump a d drink loads of water and eat every two hours. Any ideas on how to handle this and please give me strength to persevere!!!

Thanks!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is he refluxy at all? Could it be silent reflux? Have u tried breast compressions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    there are a few reasons your bub could be doing this

1) he likes the sucking action - maybe try a dummy/pacifier

2)he is refluxy as Thermy mentioned and the sucking soothes his throat. you will need to see a doc to get checked out for it

3) your supply has settled down and he's grown up a bit and matches your let down and is getting frustrated. This will pass! This could be the case esp if he is only starting to do this.

IMO if he is getting distracted and will settle after a bit then its not hunger. Hungry babies keep screaming they dont stop. plus they also dont gain weight.

your supply is fine and you are doing well in that aspect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i would also wonder about reflux if bub is getting upset after feeds.

do you change breasts? at around 4 months, we used to do right, left, right feeds - the 1st breast willl make milk while the baby is feeding on 2nd.

there are many things you can try before going to formula, and formula may make things worse depending on why he is upset. have you rung the ABA?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your ideas....Yes, DS is refluxy but he normally screams when in pain and we manage it with drops. When i think he is hungry he seems to grissle and cry and want to keep sucking but gets frustrated...he also only goes for 10mins on each side. Do you think this is the reflux, not the hunger then?
    Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions earlier!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CamD View Post
    Thanks so much for your ideas....Yes, DS is refluxy but he normally screams when in pain and we manage it with drops. When i think he is hungry he seems to grissle and cry and want to keep sucking but gets frustrated...he also only goes for 10mins on each side. Do you think this is the reflux, not the hunger then?
    Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions earlier!
    IMO he may be nursing past being hungry because it feels nice but the he is suffering I'll effects from it? I don't know much about reflux but I would suggest reporting your issue with reflux inthe title so other reflux mums can offer some advice?

On the timing side of things all of my children have been quick nursers, only 7-10 min for a feed so he may well be (given his weight gain) doing just fine amount wise

7. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thank you so much. I have been switch feeding but not doing compressions - thanks for the tip.
    Bubbles, I have called the ABA and they have been a great help at times when I have almost reached for a formula!
    I weaned off motilium four weeks ago do may need to start up agin. I didn't know it was ok to continue or to have an increased dose. Thanks Missie
    Thermolicious - thanks for the idea around timing. It makes me feel better to know it is possible that he could just be a quick feeder!
    I think I'm just very insecure about my supply and since DS is so unsettled with the reflux I'm never sure what I am doing right! Thanks girls for the vote of confidence...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CamD For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CamD View Post
    Oh thank you so much. I have been switch feeding but not doing compressions - thanks for the tip.
    Bubbles, I have called the ABA and they have been a great help at times when I have almost reached for a formula!
    I weaned off motilium four weeks ago do may need to start up agin. I didn't know it was ok to continue or to have an increased dose. Thanks Missie
    Thermolicious - thanks for the idea around timing. It makes me feel better to know it is possible that he could just be a quick feeder!
    I think I'm just very insecure about my supply and since DS is so unsettled with the reflux I'm never sure what I am doing right! Thanks girls for the vote of confidence...
    No worries, personally with his weight gain I'd say your supply is fine, keep a eye on him as you said in your OP and don't be afraid to see the LC again I find sometimes it's a confidence thing, your doing awesome

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    No worries, personally with his weight gain I'd say your supply is fine, keep a eye on him as you said in your OP and don't be afraid to see the LC again I find sometimes it's a confidence thing, your doing awesome
    I agree!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub was like this. Your body will produce just the right amount of milk. I gave in and gave bub a dummy. He just really liked the sucking action. My bub would feed for 30 mins each side. It was just the comforting they liked. I bought rubber dummies from makeuwell.com.au they are great and natural. Don't give up. Listen to what your heart tells you. You are his mum!! Good luck.