+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I read to much into the old fairy tales, I hate the disney version is them.

For example:
    Beauty an the beast was a story told to young girls who were married off to old men. They were told to love his inner beauty rather than his outer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nazgul For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do find it very interesting the history behind nursery rhymes, how ever I have never though to look into the history behind fairy tales ect..

I had a look at some of the German books some ladies shared :-/ that's a bit full on!! Lol

I still do sing the nursery rhymes to her, but opt for nicer ones, her favorite is "hush little baby" so that one gets sung the most.
    The main thing is when I sing her certain ones and I know the history to and feel a bit odd, but i understand she doesn't know the meaning ect

Looking up all the meaning behind them has actually taught me quite a lot about history I never knew about like London bridge is falling down, reading up about what was happening with the Vikings then many years later after the bridge kept falling down ect.

But I will have to look into fairy tails!
    I do not like Disney... Just things I have read about sub messaging ect and never watched any Disney movies as a child (not a personal choice by my parents.. Just I wasn't interested in movies ect but loved books such as Golden books and dr Seuss) the only really Disney kids movie/ show I remember watching was Whinni the Pooh.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    We have been reading DS a book of classic fairytales. In this version 2 of the three little pigs get eated by the wolf and the wolf gets boiled alive by the 3rd piggy (I might have edited that had I been doing the reading!!) but we both absolutely drew the line at reading him The Little Matchstick Girl, I get teary just thinking about that story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have been on a website and know the means to all the popular nursery rhymes it's pretty creepy. I don't sing any of them to DD. at playgroup they sing ring a rosy though.

They creep me out that's why I don't teach them to DD
    Last edited by waterlily; 01-04-2012 at 16:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The link between 'Ring of Roses' and the plague is an urban legend. The rhyme is first recorded in the 1880s, well after the black death, and many versions of it never mention sneezing or falling down. [Snopes]

Most of the interpretations linking nursery rhymes with historical events were made in the 20th Century, long after the rhymes first started. They are suppositions well after any true original meaning has been lost. What's more, they're usually based on modern variations of the rhyme. For instance the earliest version of Humpty Dumpty has no mention of 'All the king's horses and all the king's men' so claims that the rhyme is based on a military leader or a canon are highly unlikely.

On the flip side fairy tales were originally far darker and more macabre, but that's because they were never meant for children! These tales originally entertained, titillated and horrified adults, being cast aside as unfashionable over time. The brothers Grimm were collectors of folk tales and never intended for their work to be read to children. [The Guardian]

So feel safe in singing nursery rhymes to children but keep that bumper book of fairy stories locked away for adult use only!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought the Rock a bye baby one came from when the native americans were observed hanging their babes in a type of hammock while they worked, the people observing 'worried' tha the baby might fall and consequently die, because this was a new thing to them...
    but they didn't really -- hammocks are still used today

well that's what I have read and what I tell my kids. DS1 loves that story and quite often asks me to 'tell him teh story about rock a bye your baby'.

I find it fascinating!!

And yep OP - do feel a strange sense when singing/reading them to my kids once I know the history -- even though for them they are hearing lovelies!

Don't know if has been mentioned (I'll go back and read..) ..Baa Baa Black Sheep has been linked to a couple fo ideas -- Taxes and Slavery, there has been debate over which is true.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 01-04-2012 at 17:08.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    my mother sang something similar to us as kids but she sang

1 little, 2 little, 3 little indians
    4 little, 5 little, 6 little indians
    7 little, 8 little, 9 little indians

10 little indian boys

no idea where she got it from :/
    I learnt in primary school how to sing this in Chinese!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never knew that about ring a Rosie my dd loves that song at the moment. I don't have a problem singing dd any nursery rhymes she has a book of fairy tales which explains the original version and they are rather gruesome I much prefer the child friendly version.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be more concerned about what children are listening to on everyday radio than nursery rhymes as a parent yu can alter the rhyme to something else but what they are hearing on the radio or tv. I actually sing twinkle twinkle and itsy bitty spider more than I sing anything else. The song I don't like Monday's was about a 16 year old going to school and killing some ppl. So all songs have some meaning I guess but as kids I don't think they would be to worried about them more that we feel morbid about singing them I guess