+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nursery Rhymes and there meanings, do you worry about singing them to your children?

Ok so I have always known that nursery rhymes had some pretty bad meanings behind them, and I always say to my husband how I felt bad about singing them to dd as most had morbid meanings/stories behind them, I usually only sing the ones that don't have such meanings for But it got me thinking am I the only one out there who feels weird about singing them to my LO when I know what the meaning behind them are? Not saying I don't sing them but I just feel a little sad when singing them ect

Some examples or the rhymes and there meaning that's I have come across are:

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
    How does your garden grow?
    With silver bells, and cockle shells,
    And pretty maids all in a row.

I have read many meaning for this rhyme, but one that really made me feel a bit sick was where the rhyme was written about bloody Mary (Queen Mary Tudor)
    There is a lot of different things out there about what she did, all of it bad

interpretation of the rhyme goes to the heart of her persona as “Bloody Mary” with silver bells and cockle shells referring to instruments of torture: silver bells being thumbscrews and cockles shells being instruments of torture attached to the genitals. While the pretty maids would be a reference to early guillotine-type devices used to decapitate victims.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary, (bloody Mary)
    How does your garden grow? (her personal graveyard)
    With silver bells, and cockle shells, (torture instruments)
    And pretty maids all in a row. (guillotine)

There are other meaning behind this one I have read, most of them not nice ect

Also Ring around the Rosie
    Most know this one.
    It was about the plague during the middle ages,

Ring around the Rosie"--refers to a red mark, supposedly the first sign of the plague
    "A pocket full of posies"-- refers to sachets of herbs carried to ward off infection, it was believed the plague was spread by bad smells, Where is was actually spread by rats.
    "Ashes, ashes" or "a tissue a tissue" reference to the cremation of the dead and "a tissue" sneezing, another sign of infection.
    "We all fall down." when they died of the plague.

Another;
    Rock a bye baby.
    Natives Americans were said to make little cradles out of leaves in the tree tops, they would place the baby in there so that when the wind blew it would rock the baby to sleep, but when the branches (bow breaks) the cradle and baby would fall down usually resulting in death.

what are your thoughts? I have noticed many nursery rhymes have many different meanings, what are some meanings you have heard behind them ect?

Daughter> 03/02/2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm agree! I've always felt a bit off singing them even tho they are traditional! So generally I'm the weirdo mother that changes the words to songs stuck in my head to be about what we are doing. No two songs are ever the same, nor can I ever remember the chorus I made up one verse ago so that changes too and my DH spends a lot of time laughing at my 'rhyming'
    However I know mum sang them to me and I turned out kinda ok

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pipsicle For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    depends on my mood
    miss M has been called little miss contrary a lot lately (and i'll sing the nursery rhyme) - but that's more a play on the original meaning.

I try to enjoy them as the childrens songs they have become, rather than the original history - although i do find the original histories quite interesting (although - i believe snopes have disproved the connection between ring a round the rosie and the black plague I'll find the link later )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know humpty Dumpty was a nickname of a huge cannon that used to sit on the castle walls , when the wall was hit by an enemy's cannon , the big cannon fell down and all the kings men couldn't fix it!

And apparently jack and Jill is about the king and queen of France being over thrown!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont like the rockabye baby one, never have its sorta unsettling. I dont really sing the ones that bother me, we mostly sing twinkle twinkle little star. Its ds favourite song

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't like Goosie Goosie Gander.

We sing:
    5 little ducks
    row your boat
    twinkle little star
    5 little speckled frogs

We do sing others, too, but I can't think now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The weirdest is "Yankee doodle"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I had heard the ring around the rosie one before, and always thought it odd to sing rock a bye baby since you are singing about baby falling out of a tree! But I never knew the meaning behind mary, mary quite contrary. How sick!

Although think hush little baby isnt too bad, promising to buy diamond rings etc.. Unless there is a hidden message behind that one?

I have never been able to bring myself to sing rock a bye baby to DD1 or DD2. Also the story o the pied piper is a bit creepy too. A man wondering around town to town luring small children with his 'flute'.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It doesn't bother me if I'm honest. I'm not morbid, I just think it's a part of history told in a manner that doesn't frighten children.
    It'd be a different story if the lyrics were "Mary Mary, quite contrary, how many people have you killed today with varying instruments of torture and death?" lol.

But they're songs of the past that often contain warnings of experiences that we don't have anymore, and I think that's a worthwhile thing to pass on. I don't think it messes kids up, most kids don't know the meaning of 'ring around the rosie' until they go to highschool and study history, let alone some of the more obscure ones.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (01-04-2012),Gandalf  (31-03-2012),MrJones&Me  (01-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Im pretty creative and like to adapt nursery rhymes, fairy tales and songs.
    We also sing some from other countries, which are usually a bit less violent