+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default baby sleep patterns

how do I get my newborn to sleep at night? all she wants to do at night is stay awake and drink bottles but I can't keep her awake during the day!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Babies can't tell the difference between day and night when they are newborns so it gets very confusing for them, during the day try to stimulate her and make it as bright as possible then at night time make it as dark as possible. That's really all you can do until she gets the idea of day and night good luck and congrats

Thanks
    Reviews
    For DS I made sure at night when he woke for a feed I only fed him in his room. Once he was done it was straight back to bed (after a nappy change of course). I found it was good for me too cos his room was quiet and not too bright so I could snooze while he fed rather than watching infomercials.

Thanks
    Reviews
    it is driving me crazy I have tried EVERYTHING all the usual things plus so other things people have suggested to keep her awake during the day but she just wants to sleep all day I wake her every 4 hrs for a bottle then she goes straight back to sleep so basically she isn't awake at all during the day only the amount of time it takes to drink a bottle. but as soon as the sun goes down she doesn't want to sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub is 4 weeks and has been the same off & on, so feel your pain. She has been better the last week, really don't have much advice as each baby is so different. What I Have been doing is trying to stick to a real relaxed routine at night by trying to put her to bed by 7-7.30 with a bath and feed just before that and making sure she's not to hot I was rugging her up to much. I also now swaddle her in a fine muslim cloth. I also tried to relax and remember she's only tiny still & trying to figure things out too. Good luck, everything will fall into place

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    trying taking your baby outdoors in the early morning sunshine and late afternoon sun as well for a few days. Its an old wives tale but I'd swear by it! Apparently the suns rays in those periods are of a different strenght and elicit the natural hormone melatonin in the body.