+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It doesnt work that way, boobycibo. There is no good or bad evolution. It is just the adaption to the environment.

First of all, obviously you are talking solely about the tiny fraction of the human population able to access asthma treatment. Unlikely to make any significant impact on the race as a whole.

Secondly, other traits will be adaptive. For example, people who are resistant to diet induced cancers will probably have an evolutionary advantage. People whose systems are better able to withstand pollutants. And so on. People better able to withstand uv exposure and the accompanying degradation of folate.

In 10,000 years, I would suspect that those of us most susceptible to pollution, preservatives, etc will have died out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The Tower of Babel talks about 'language' - or attempts to explain why there are so many different languages.

According to that story everyone in the world used to speak the same language, they worked together to start to build a tower that would reach the sky (the Heavens) ..but God didn't like what they were up to and confounded ther language so the could not understamd each other - therfore work together to build the tower.
    He foiled their plans.

Lily - I've just discovered that the story of Noah and the Ark is VERY similar to the story of Gilgamesh.
    Myth of Sumerian civilisation in Mesopotamia.
    'Gilamesh- the hero king of those times, went on travels and met people - and old man Utnapashtim told Gilgamesh that when teh gods were angry with humankind for making too much noise and waking up the gods - the chief god, Enlil sent a great flood to destroy everyone so they could get some rest. But the water god, Ea, decided to warn Utnapashtim to tear down hs house and bulid a boat.. the big boat would carry 'the seed of all living creatures'. Then it rained for 6 days and 6 nights and drowned everyone and everything that was not inside the boat.
    Utnapashtim realeased a dove to look for dry land but teh dove returned, then he released a swallow but teh same thing happened, then he realeased a raven the raven did not return.
    Eventually teh boat rested on a mountain top and another god, Ishtar created teh first rainbow as a promise for no more terrible floods
    - and that is how the rainbow came to be.

..sound familiar?

Stories become legends become religion from people borrowing bits and pieces from each other ...IMO.

I'll go find that link for you.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 01-04-2012 at 19:19. Reason: ...attempted to fix all my 'teh' to 'the' -- but meh, you all know what I mean!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Here you go --- it's a Youtube link...goes for about 15minutes.

[you've seen ths before Chew the Mintie ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOSPN...feature=relmfu

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I think we will probably de-evolve (if that's a word?)

My dad had severe asthma and should have died. But didn't, medicine kept him alive to have me. I inherited his crappy lungs, without medication I wouldn't have survived passed 2-3 years. I take meds every day of my life, yet I'm alive making babies.

Imagine how poor our genes will be in a thousand years of modern medicine and technology.
    I agree. Idiocracy was an eye opener for me, as I honestly think we are 'de-evolving' as a race.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    I agree. Idiocracy was an eye opener for me, as I honestly think we are 'de-evolving' as a race.

Evolution doesn't neccessarily produce 'better' life... just life that has changed due to environmental factors. (to summarise it very basically).

The 'survival if the fittest' is quite often taken to mean 'survival of the strongest or fastest' -- this is not the case.

I get where Babycino is coming from - re boosting our immune systems unaturally and the introduction of medicine - but this won't have a huge impact on the collective gene pool.

It's not like we (or anyother life form) are going to 'go backwards'

>>ETA - Ok - i've just worked out 'Idiocracy' was a movie... looks interesting ..must watch it one day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree, we won't 'go backwards' actually to an extent 'going backwards' wouldn't necessarily be a worse option if humans become more reliant in medicine and technology to survive than we already are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I just wanted to add that religion is only retreating into the shadows in western society and is not the case for the majority of the world's population.
    It was interesting to hear from the non-believers of God on the other thread. I just don't get why some of them seemed threatened by the believers and seemed to want to prove them wrong. Pointless, particularly in a forum such as this..
    It's interesting to witness the uprising of new age spiritual systems. It's natural for the west to steer toward individualistic ways of spiritual seeking as in our society we are encouraged to 'stand out' and 'be yourself', uniqueness is regarded as an asset. Eastern cultures are based on conforming and working as a team, individualism is likely to be viewed as threatening. I do think it's important to have these conversations, considering these are the views our children are exposed to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It may of interest to this thread that Cardinal George Pell will head-to-head with Richard Dawkins on Q&A on Monday.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

babyla  (05-04-2012),Busy-Bee  (09-04-2012),Witwicky  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ABigDeepBreath View Post
    It may of interest to this thread that Cardinal George Pell will head-to-head with Richard Dawkins on Q&A on Monday.
    Is this Tonight??

(still in holiday mode and have no clue which day is which! )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep Q&A is on tonight at 9.30 or repeated tues at 12.30. I was going to facebook you but wasn't sure if you were back yet