+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You might like this too Lily -- as they have borrowed the names "adam" & "eve"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    5itb, thats a great link, and 'the 7 daughters of eve' is a fantastic read, very easy for 'non sciency' people to follow!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (01-04-2012)

Guest Guest
    Interesting stuff. I want to read more about 'Eve' what did it mean the male counterpart lived thousands of years before?
    It's interesting the great leap forward 50,000 years ago.
    Do you know what I wonder. What's been the latest evolution of man since? Do you think the fact we travel and never stay in the same environment/part of the world we won't? Do you think our reliance on processed food and technology will change humans?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I most certainly think all of those things are having an impact on how are bodies are evolving!
    In 'our' (when I say 'our' I mean recorded first hand history) -- we have seen the impact of taking people out of their environment instantly [you could say unnaturally] and putting them in a part of the world to which their bodies are unfamilar.

When slaves were shipped from Sunny Africa to Cloudy England the levels of melanin in their skin prevented the UV rays from the sun from producing Vitamin D - resulting in bowed legs - Rickets.
    When people like me, who have scottish and welsh heritage live here in Australia - they burn easily, because my ancetsors had low levels of melanin to allow the UV rays to penetrate, I definitely won't be Vitamin D deficiant (unless I stay indoors all day) but I am sesceptible to skin cancer.

The evolutionary process in actively dealing with it. Genes are passed on.

Food has a HUGE impact on our systems -- ask any parent on here who is dealing with a child with an allergy and/or an intolerance to single foods, natural food chemicals or synthetic preservitives and additives.
    We have evidence in our bodies now of an organ that has been made redundant over time - the appendix.

Technology - OMG! YES!
    Doctors are already reporting cases of 'PLasma eye' or something like that
    ...in all seriousness - the damage caused by screen time on our eyes.

I am positive that our descendants in say a 5million years from now (If we don't blow up the planet before hand through our own stupidty -- or if the sun doesn't burn out...or if we don't get hit by an asteroid...or if bacteria and viruses don't evolve so much that we are wiped out :P) ..I'm positive that our descendants will look quite different to what we do today.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    on that subject -- how does the bible or other religion 'explain' varying skin colours?

I have a link to an AWESOME link if you, Lily (or anyone else for that matter) are interested in seeing how science explains it.
    It's a video link.
    ( I could type it all out - but it's great to hear the woman presenting it!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think the bible mentions race at all? in Genesis , G-d scattered everyone throughout the world and gave them all different languages ( tower of babel story) so maybe that's when the different races were formed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think we will probably de-evolve (if that's a word?)

My dad had severe asthma and should have died. But didn't, medicine kept him alive to have me. I inherited his crappy lungs, without medication I wouldn't have survived passed 2-3 years. I take meds every day of my life, yet I'm alive making babies.

Imagine how poor our genes will be in a thousand years of modern medicine and technology.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh but what do I believe in?

Umm... Neither? Is that an answer.

I respect current studies and information about the world as we know it to be.

I believe that there are also things in this world we don't understand regarding paranormal/god etc

But I'm open to both being wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I believe in science, evolution and Mother nature.. I do not believe in a "god"

Guest Guest
    Yeah I'd like to see it!

The bible talks of Adam and Eve then ofcourse Noah, but they don't give a colour of skin. We see paintings and pictures with white folk, we see Jesus with blonde hair and blue eyes, ofcourse we know this couldn't be. These images mostly come from renaissance times and are done in their image.
    Back to those descendants yes, they go forth and multiply, spread across the earth forming their own tribes and language. A very simplified version of evolution imo.