+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Where does someone's disbelief in science end? Would a religious person shun medical treatment in favour of God's healing powers? Or choose not to fly in a plane and hope god might grant them wings? No. It seems people can pick and choose their belief in science. "Oh I believe in medical advancement but I totally think scientists are wrong when they discover fossils".
    totally agree.
    however, in my experience, the religious people i have personally known also seem to pick and choose what they believe in. such as ignoring the 'shall not judge'....certain religions are very, very judgemental. to the point that if you don't follow their religion, you will be burnt at the stake. literally.....
    and in today's day and age a lot of clergy seem to think it is okay to sexually abuse children. or cover it up.
    that is why i can't stand the hypocrisy in organised religion.

Guest Guest
    Is discovering fossils of apes climbing trees and walking or fossils of dinosaurs proof that God doesn't exist?
    The argument used is it proves the bibles literal stories of creation, ie. 'the world wasn't created in 7 days like the bible says' this doesn't mean God mustn't exist. Some people take the bible as the word of God from start to finish, word for word. But that doesnt mean everyone does. And the story of creation or the 1st testament doesnt make Christianity. It's included as a guide and yes you actually can pick and choose what you need from it and you can pick and choose what to take literaly and what not to. Its encouraged to use the bible but to also question and use the world around you, hence why most people living in the modern world accept both science and still hold a belief in God or higher power.
    The bible is a guide in the 1st testatement, Christians follow Jesus as a way of life. Do you want to use science to prove Jesus never walked the earth or did or said these things? Can science prove Jesus wasn't a highly evolved spiritual being with Devine knowledge? That he wasn't the son of God or closest to God?
    What is science actually proving?
    There doesn't have to be so many rules, religion is so complicated and varies so much because each person uses it in different ways to help them understand people, events and their lives. Atheism is just that, beliefs don't vary much from God doesnt exist, unlike religions of the world. So it's easy to scrutinise, to look at one thing in one persons beliefs and prove them wrong. When someone believes the world was created in 7 days, it's easy to use science to prove that wrong.
    But put the bible aside and stories of creation and prove God doesnt exist, that Jesus didn't come and return to a spiritual realm that humans can't see or understand. That we have no souls or purpose, that when our bodies die, that's it, there is nothing else. Can science prove that?

Who cares about evolution or dinosaurs or how old the world is. Spirituality and God is so much more in a persons life, what's science compared to God and spirituality? When I'm dying of cancer science won't be my greatest comfort, God and the love I've had will be. Id rather take my last breath with the comfort of knowing my loved ones are waiting for me in the spiritual world and be welcomed by God and Jesus. I'm not going to remember what I read in a scientific journal or how the world began using science. Who the hell cares.
    When science fails, God will still be there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (23-04-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I love science. For me, it has answered questions that god didn't.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

delirium  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a Christian and also a scientist. I like to think that science tries to understand the things that God has given us. I do not believe that either one disproves the other.
    As an example: Evolution is a theory, not proven, but even if it was one day shown to be true it does not disprove God. Who is to say that God didn't use evolution to create us?
    That's my thoughts anyway. :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chazrity For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (14-04-2012)

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's no reason a person of faith has to throw all science out the window. To me science is humanity's way of finding out things God already knows. God created physics and biology and chemistry, He gave us inquisitive minds and wants us to discover. As someone else said though, science is not always right - I can disagree with any finding that crosses my path if it goes against what I know already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazrity View Post
    I'm a Christian and also a scientist. I like to think that science tries to understand the things that God has given us. I do not believe that either one disproves the other.
    As an example: Evolution is a theory, not proven, but even if it was one day shown to be true it does not disprove God. Who is to say that God didn't use evolution to create us?
    That's my thoughts anyway. :-)
    Apologies -but if you were a scientist - you would understand the difference bewteen 'theory' - as in a hypothesis/an idea -- and a 'theory' in scientific terms.

Scientific 'Theories' HAVE been tried, tested, peer reviewed and have evidence and facts to back it up.
    eg - the "theory" of Gravity.

..do you think Gravity is just an 'idea' some group of people have - or has it been proven to be true?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Apologies -but if you were a scientist - you would understand the difference bewteen 'theory' - as in a hypothesis/an idea -- and a 'theory' in scientific terms.

Scientific 'Theories' HAVE been tried, tested, peer reviewed and have evidence and facts to back it up.
    eg - the "theory" of Gravity.

..do you think Gravity is just an 'idea' some group of people have - or has it been proven to be true?

I'd like to know the theory behind why you even replied. You haven't disproved Chazrity?

Her example was evolution. Has it been proven?

She said, "Who is to say that God didn't use evolution to create us?" - the same could be used for gravity.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm with Five on this one. Evolution has been proven by science.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I'm with Five on this one. Evolution has been proven by science.
    As Chazrity said, "Who is to say that God didn't use evolution to create us?"

Guest Guest
    The evolution of ape to man is a proven fact?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

wantingtostart  (01-04-2012)