+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Personally, I find that incredibly dismissive. You don't know what experiences others have had spiritually.

Imagine if I said:

'I personally don't think it is possible to believe in a god given my experiences.'

I imagine that would be incredibly rude.
    I wouldn't see it as rude if u honestly felt that way. Each to their own..

And I was speaking for my experiences and how for ME it is impossible to dismiss God given those experiences. And obviously it is impossible for anyone to have experienced exactly the same as me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

Yes - I am reading this at the moment... I think you recommended it in a previous thread Northerly?
    Thanks!
    yep, was probably me it's my standard recommendation for all things evolution

he's got a blog too (although he doesn't call it a 'blog') on Wordpress, called 'Why Evolution Is True' as well.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

coffeecup  (02-05-2012),Witwicky  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Hey Rocker,

How interesting that you teach science at school! Do you believe in evolution? How have you dealt with childen asking questions that contradict religion, if it ever happens? You've got a wicked sense of humour by the way
    Haha thanx about the humour.

Ummm... I'm a primary school teacher who specializes in drama but i have taught science in various capacities. Evolution comes up only in high school really (I studied it in human biology in year 11&12) and its fascinating, just getting my tongue around some of those names like Australopithecus africanus was fun! If it was a part of the curriculum to teach I would, as the 'theory' of evolution. Frankly I haven't studied it too deeply (beyond school), but I do believe in the possibility of evolution being fact and also the possibility of the bible not being taken literally... the 7 days thing...

My spirituality is about an inner feeling that's strong inside of me and my beliefs are pretty simple and straightforward....so whether God created the earth in 7 days or thousands is irrelevant to me... I just know he created it in all it's magnificence..

Religion hardly comes into drama so all's gud. We do meditate tho...lol

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rocker For This Useful Post:

coffeecup  (02-05-2012),Mod-pegasus  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i'm late to the game, but i've read parts of darwins orgin of species (another one who got it as a free ebook - but i struggled too much to read it. 1800's prose has never been a strong suit of mine. )
    i read a really fascinating book called 'the five daughters of eve' a couple years ago - which basically traced almost all humans back to five original women based on mitochondrial dna (which is passed down from the mother). fascinating stuff

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Interesting Darwin's journey. He was apparently very sick throughout much of his life and worried that he'd passed stuff onto his children through his genes. (FTR - I haven't watched all the movie yet - I ended up watching the Velveteen Rabbit with the kids instead )

I think in a way he blamed his daughter's death on his own health issues - which sort of matches with his key points of his beliefs of survival of the fittest - which is probably the most highly contested part of his theories.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    Yep. I love the last paragraph, probably the most poetic non-fiction ending I've ever read. Btw, have you read 'Why Evolution Is True' by Jerry Coyne? It came out a couple of years ago and is by far the best, most accessible book I've read on the evidence for evolution (it surpasses Dawkins's Greatest Show On Earth in my opinion)
    Wow it must be good to surpass Dawkins GSOE. I am off to order it from Fishpond now... Oh and I agree re: Darwin's final paragraph, it was beautiful.

Fiveinthebed - I have a really old, beautiful copy
    Last edited by Witwicky; 25-04-2012 at 08:57.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pegasus, think Darwin lost three children? A daughter very early on, a son (I think it was the son who passed away when he was scheduled to be attending the trial?) and Anne, hs much loved daughter - who had scarlet fever?

I had heard he questioned his belief in god both because of the loss of his children and his discoveries? -- and who wouldn't? ..isn't that a normal part of greiving?

"survival of the fittest" is a term that is often misunderstood, it is not suggesting 'fittest' = the fastest, strongest.
    ...instead 'fittest' means the traits or genes that fit best to the conditions.
    The snail for example is by no means a fast moving, muscle bound animal - but the traits the current day snails have evolved over time have led it to being best suited to the environment that it lives in and the life it leads.

His ideas have lead to much research and many discoveries - it is not like all scientists look to his book and take it like gospel...Darwin had loads of ideas that when tested fell through.
    The theory of Evolution, and the many aspects that contrbute toward that theory have stood the test so far...and all the evidence that is found simply strengthens it.

I'm not sure if it is your intention - but it seems like you are having personal 'digs' at the man himself?

Have you read up on Wallace, Pegasus?
    [Alfred Russel Wallace] - he was a very spiritual dude who believed in a non-material origin of life...but his observations in nature lead to the 'Natural Selection' part of the Theory of evolution.

He was a collector of beetles...

...which reminds me of this quote [not really Darwin or Wallace related - more 'Creator' & Beetle related :P :

"Coming to the question of life being found on other planets, Professor Haldane apologized for discoursing, as a mere biologist, on a subject on which we had been expecting a lecture by a physicist. He mentioned three hypotheses:

(a) that life had a supernatural origin;

(b) that it originated from inorganic materials;

(c) that life is a constituent of the Universe and can only arise from preexisting life.

The first hypothesis, he said, should be taken seriously, and he would proceed to do so. From the fact that there are 400,000 species of beetles on this planet, but only 8,000 species of mammals, he concluded that the Creator, if he exists, has a special preference for beetles."

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Certainly wasn't meaning for it to come across as digs at Darwin.

I did understand that they lost 2 children in infancy, and Anne at aged 8 where he did question a lot of stuff regarding health. I also realise that this led to a lot of his questions regarding faith, I just had no idea till last night that he had a wife who was not likeminded regarding this area. I found this fascinating - how some people have tragedy bring them closer to God and and some people go the other way.

I also understand survival of the fittest - where what I was trying to portray was that he was worried that his "unhealthy" genes had been passed onto his children - survival of the fittest being that the unhealthy genes "die out" (in a simplified manner)

I also realise that there were a lot of questions which his theories brought up - but he was one of the first to suggest common ancestry and have spawned many more questions and therefore his theories are revolutionary - so definitely a man to be admired, not mocked.

Except for the statement he made about pros and cons of marriage
    I definitely was not meaning any disrespect to him - I just hadn't given him (as a man rather than his theories) any thought prior to yesterday.

As for Wallace - I've only had an introduction to him - will look up more later.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 25-04-2012 at 23:03.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    LMAO...driving today past a church and there was their sign dedicated to Dawkins! There was a lot written on the sign, I didn't have time to stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    just grabbed a copy of 'The Origin' from eBay

There was a gorgeous old copy with a lovely green/jade coloured dust sleeve - but it was up close to $200 ...eeeeek.

..there were also some audio books if anyone takes things in better that way

No worries Peg...

BigredV - go back and take a pic!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (26-04-2012)