+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Darwin was religious. He lost his faith later in life after one of his children died.
    Yes. He believed all biblical stories and had complete faith in god upon boarding the beagle

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

coffeecup  (02-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yep Ana - he was going to be a clergyman at one stage...

I do think it was a gradual process (losing his religion) for him, but the loss of his child impacted greatly.

He was believer in a 'God that set the wheels in motion' type of guy for a while though [apparently, never met the man obviously ]

I wanna go and watch my David Attenborough DVD again now - wish it wasn't so late...hmmm..public holiday tomorrow you say?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I love that you have given your son that middle name Witwicky!!

-- I went to a work meeting tonight, looked up in time to see a street named 'Darwin' -- it must've been 'a sign'

"On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life."

..no I haven't read t - it's on my to do list.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 24-04-2012 at 22:39.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

coffeecup  (02-05-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

Has anyone else read On the Origin of Species? (The Origin of Species - depending which copy).
    My copy is on storage

But I sleep with my Charles Darwin doll every night DD calls him my boyfriend.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone else read On the Origin of Species? (The Origin of Species - depending which copy).
    Yep, got it on my Kindle earlier this year for free. To be honest, I found the Victorian prose a bit of battle, but glad I read it all the same. It was a monumental achievement for its (or any) time - as Dan Dennett said, his book is the distillation of what was quite possibly the greatest idea ever to occur to anyone (or words to that effect).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

delirium  (24-04-2012),Witwicky  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Oh I love that you have given your son that middle name Witwicky!!

-- I went to a work meeting tonight, looked up in time to see a street named 'Darwin' -- it must've been a sign

"On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life."

..no I haven't read t - it's on my to do list.
    Hehe there is a Darwin street near where I live, I smile whenever I see it (now i'm sounding obsessed ).

Let me know when you read it, I would love to have someone else to discuss it with It took me a while to read. It can be quite tedious at times, but overall a wonderful and very interesting read.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    My copy is on storage

But I sleep with my Charles Darwin doll every night DD calls him my boyfriend.
    Darwin doll - that's awesome.

Northerly - I agree regarding the prose. Obviously it was written in the 1800's and language was so vastly different. I struggled with parts but at the same time I just loved it so much that I pushed through

Thanks
    Reviews
    Northerly - I agree regarding the prose. Obviously it was written in the 1800's and language was so vastly different. I struggled with parts but at the same time I just loved it so much that I pushed through
    Yep. I love the last paragraph, probably the most poetic non-fiction ending I've ever read. Btw, have you read 'Why Evolution Is True' by Jerry Coyne? It came out a couple of years ago and is by far the best, most accessible book I've read on the evidence for evolution (it surpasses Dawkins's Greatest Show On Earth in my opinion)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    Yep. I love the last paragraph, probably the most poetic non-fiction ending I've ever read. Btw, have you read 'Why Evolution Is True' by Jerry Coyne? It came out a couple of years ago and is by far the best, most accessible book I've read on the evidence for evolution (it surpasses Dawkins's Greatest Show On Earth in my opinion)
    just returned to my seat from going to double check the name of the Author!

Yes - I am reading this at the moment... I think you recommended it in a previous thread Northerly?
    Thanks!

Fishpond had it fairly cheap

If I find a copy of 'The Origin..' I want to be OLD, vintage style (probably not so cheap)