+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I am actually one of those 'art-sie' types.

..I just like to be able to answer me kids questions when they ask, 'why does the sun go up and down?'

I don't study it - pretty sure it was something I learnt in primary school to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

I am actually one of those 'art-sie' types.

..I just like to be able to answer me kids questions when they ask, 'why does the sun go up and down?'

I don't study it - pretty sure it was something I learnt in primary school to be honest.

Yea well I know basic science too but don't have the natural curious mind for it... When my kids ask I'll say I don't know, let's google it! I'm sure they'll teach me plenty too..

About my first experience - i need to be in the right headspace for it and I just don't have the time to sit down to it with my 18 month old... I'm usually sending quick replies on my phone which is have enuff to do...

Need to get outta my pj's.. Have a
    Nice day

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I personally don't think it's possible to dismiss God given my experiences..
    Personally, I find that incredibly dismissive. You don't know what experiences others have had spiritually.

Imagine if I said:

'I personally don't think it is possible to believe in a god given my experiences.'

I imagine that would be incredibly rude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't believe in 'god' at all. I was raised as a practising Christian and I made my decision as I got older, based on everything I had been taught, that I just didn't believe. I am perfectly happy for people to have their own views and I would never tell a Christian they were wrong unless they tried to tell me I was wrong. Everyone needs to believe in something - for done people it's the idea of a higher being and for others it's the comfort of the facts and statistics of science. There are too many anomalies in my own life for me to ever believe in the presence of a god but each to their own. One thing I do agree with are the basic moral values which some Christians (strangely enough) don't choose to follow.

That's just my opinion though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Rocker,

How interesting that you teach science at school! Do you believe in evolution? How have you dealt with childen asking questions that contradict religion, if it ever happens? You've got a wicked sense of humour by the way

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just dropping by to say I've just got home from the library and while I wasn't wanting to get any more books (reading too many atm - I was there for the kids), I found a video called....Creation!!!

Apparently it's a fictional recount about how Darwin came up with stuff. And of course - here's the Hollywood twist - his wife Emma is deeply religious and it causes issues for their relationship.

Love this:

"Creation depicts one man's heart-wrenching war between science and love. Darwin is a warm and loving family man who must evaluate the potentially devasting effect his revolutionary ideas could have on both society and his cherished family" LOL

PS there are featurettes included on debating Darwin and Digging Deeper into Darwin.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

coffeecup  (02-05-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Decided to have a quick look at Darwin's lovelife on wiki - looks like he was a real romantic

Fully recuperated, he returned to Shrewsbury in July. Used to jotting down daily notes on animal breeding, he scrawled rambling thoughts about career and prospects on two scraps of paper, one with columns headed "Marry" and "Not Marry". Advantages included "constant companion and a friend in old age ... better than a dog anyhow", against points such as "less money for books" and "terrible loss of time."[78] Having decided in favour, he discussed it with his father, then went to visit Emma on 29 July. He did not get around to proposing, but against his father's advice he mentioned his ideas on transmutation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep - Emma was Darwin's first cousin I think, and very religious - there are letters between the two of them that show the struggle they had.

Apparently Darwin would walk his famly to church, but he would continue walking.
    As a man he did have some strange ideals - but it was his observations of nature that have lead to some amazing research and discoveries... Wallace also had a great brain and came to very very similar conclusions as Darwin.

I have the David Attenborough doco called 'Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life' - brilliant! ...your library might have it? I got my copy direct from ABC online, am sure it is on youtube in installments aswell if you are interested?
    [it is ds1's fav - he can spot the profile of Darwin anywhere ]

there's a good article here called 'was Darwin wrong?' in Nat Geo if you feel like a read

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...quammen-text/1
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 24-04-2012 at 21:48.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Darwin was religious. He lost his faith later in life after one of his children died.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've watched both the Attenborough doco and the film Creation - love them...along with many others. I love Charles Darwin, the man was incredible. He was also so courageous to come forth with such a controversial theory at the time.

I think so highly of him that I gave my son the middle name "Darwin"

Has anyone else read On the Origin of Species? (The Origin of Species - depending which copy).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

coffeecup  (02-05-2012)