+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Dawkins and Attenborough share the gift of the English accent. Swoon!

Yes it was the 'Something from Nothing talk' and I also attended the talk at the opera house last night. So interesting, invigorating even! They went through the chapters of his new book 'The Magic of Reality', the scientists worked well together Dawkins having insight on the origins of human life and Krauss on the origins of the universe.

His views on the Judeo-Christian faith is the same that of ancient Egyptian deities, hindu, muslim, druidic and any other religion - it's all the same, all try to explain the universe in terms of a supernatural figure, now Ra the sun god seems ridiculous to us, soon Jesus Christ will seem so as well. Everyone thinks THEIR religion is correct, but if you were born in India you'd be a Hindu, or in ancient Aboriginal times you'd believe in a rainbow serpent, it's an accident each one of us are born where we are and have been exposed to whatever faith we are attached to/broke free from.

Ok, enough rant! I got Dawkins to sign my copy of 'The god delusion' I've heard he doesn't believe in book signings, he's not into the 'celebrity' aspect of being a famous scientist, so he looked quite bored. I joking asked if he would like to be my sperm doner... he was a little scared. HA!

Anyone reading/thinking of reading 'The magic of reality' to their kids? Once mine a little older it's gonna be the bible round here.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    *jealous*

Would love to hear an update (wouldn't mind an autograph if you get close enough! )

Would have loved to have been there (would have been a perfect opportunity for a BH meet too!) --- was waiting for the David Attenborough tickets to go on sale and missed getting one!!

Is that for the 'something from nothing' talk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure who propitiates this myth that science and religion verse one another? We know what we know due to religious people, to Christians, Jews, Muslims and others who have made science what it is today. And there are many scientist who are religious, people actually really trying to find the truth not just try and prove what they believe(which some atheist as well as some theist do). What devalues science and religion is when the people who claim to live by them do not, the moment the universe, the planet cannot be proven by either, it's the big bang THEORY, just as it is a creationist THEORY.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mumsies For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep coffeecup I have 'the magic of reality' ...it is a brilliant book.
    Dawkins' wit and attitude does come through, I will wait a few years before reading it with the kids.

Glad you got something out of the night.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

coffeecup  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep coffeecup I have 'the magic of reality' ...it is a brilliant book.
    Dawkins' wit and attitude does come through, I will wait a few years before reading it with the kids.

Glad you got something out of the night.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub
    Hey five,
    Just wondering whether u will be reading them the bible, translated version of the Koran etc as well to your children in order to give them every opportunity to decide for themselves what they believe is correct?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Hey five,
    Just wondering whether u will be reading them the bible, translated version of the Koran etc as well to your children in order to give them every opportunity to decide for themselves what they believe is correct?
    I actually searched on Ebay for an old vintage bible (I like vintage-y type stuff ) ...I found an old leather bound one but it was up over $60 already...
    [I don't want to buy one from BigW or anything ..I'm going to trawl through second book shops]

I've popped a few docos in favorites - made be a Biblical scholar who has a copy of the Bible in Hebrew, and goes back to its countr of origin to study the writings in an Archeological sense, it's really cool to see the remains of past civilisations - and have that visual whilst listening to her interpretation of teh Bible, aswell as seeing the Hebrew language, and understanding how things may have been 'lost' in translation.
    (this is why in many of my posts I refer to Canaanites etc...because it makes sense to me that 'Asherah' was the wife of 'God' and when the new Religion took over from the last - she, aswell as many of the other gods that previously sat along side Yahweh/El - were cast aside.)

ANd yep - for sure, I think I have already stated in previous threads that I am planning to build a bookshelf and fill it with as many books from various cultures that I can find.
    I already have a small collection of Egyptian (child appropriate) books that they find fascinating.

But, like the "Magic of Reality'' - I will be waiting until they are mature enough to comprehend everything. Maybe closer to 10 years of age? ...I'll see how the grow.

..when you say 'to decide which is correct' -- an example from the book 'Magic of Reality' is 'what is a Rainbow?' -- at the beginning of the chapter it covers a few myths like the Epic of Gilgamesh, the story of Noah, a story from the Chumash people and their Earth Godess Hutash, some Norse viking Myths, Rainbow Serpent etc
    ..and then it goes on to explain what a rainbow REALLY is.. refraction of light, Prisms, the postion of the sun in realation to the raindrops and the person seeing the rainbow etc etc - with some pretty cool illustrations.

But, yes - to answer your question in short - ofcourse I will be allowing them to read books from all over the world, (not just from the Abrahamic Religions) if they choose to.

...may I ask -- will you do the same with your children??
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 22-04-2012 at 20:09.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

coffeecup  (24-04-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I won't be reading from religious texts. I don't feel that is quite necessary in our house, as most religious text are very hard reading. But I certainly discuss other religions and cultures and what they believe.

DD has already made her mind up (for now) about some things which differ to me, and that is perfectly ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    As the kids get older I will expose them to the bible and while I will give my take on things I will attempt to allow them to find their own answers. One of the things that bugs me about organised religion is the lack of exposure to other faiths, or lack thereof. So brainwashing and lack of free thinking. As an atheist I'm trying not to do the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But, yes - to answer your question in short - ofcourse I will be allowing them to read books from all over the world, (not just from the Abrahamic Religions) if they choose to.

...may I ask -- will you do the same with your children??
    So u will "allow" them to if they "choose to".... U won't be poking it in their faces like the other book u mentioned

Well... I will be poking the bible in my kids faces (more the teachings really!) as I believe that to be the truth.

I am originally from a country rich in religious belief (christian, buddhism, hinduism and islam mainly) and am fully aware of the value these religions bring to it's people...but honestly, I can't be stuffed reading their "books" to my kids as it's heavy reading but I'd actually like it if they do so themselves when they are old enough to comprehend it... I've attempted to read the qur'an and Buddhist book (can't remember it's name) but gave up after a bit...

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The bible is also very heavy reading.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I keep having a look at this thread "Science vs Religion".

For me, I like to separate Spirituality from Religion as I don't believe they are necessarily the same thing.

And belive in God (my name for "divine creator") as much as I believe in science. I simply cannot separate God from Science.

But the question was religion vs science so I suppose that's a fair arguement. Or is it? Maybe it should be "Bible stories vs science". Just thinking out loud here...pondering away...?