+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
    ― Charles Bukowski
    I believe in science, as I like to be able to test and prove things. I also have never found a religion which matches my own personal values and morals, which I believe is also a factor

2. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good idea. I find this discussion fascinating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The 'conversation' between religion and science, in my view, is a bit of a one way street, with science advancing and religion retreating into the shadows of metaphor and private revelation.

Let me put it this way: if you had to choose a world where science was never discovered as a way of finding out stuff, or a world where religion was never discovered as a way of finding out stuff, which would you rather live in? I'll take science.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (01-04-2012),halloweendee  (01-04-2012),missjess86  (22-04-2012),MissMuppet  (31-03-2012),roz2288  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thats a great scenario Northerly! I think Id take science too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    The 'conversation' between religion and science, in my view, is a bit of a one way street, with science advancing and religion retreating into the shadows of metaphor and private revelation.
    I just wanted to add that religion is only retreating into the shadows in western society and is not the case for the majority of the world's population.
    It was interesting to hear from the non-believers of God on the other thread. I just don't get why some of them seemed threatened by the believers and seemed to want to prove them wrong. Pointless, particularly in a forum such as this..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rocker For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I just don't get why some of them seemed threatened by the believers and seemed to want to prove them wrong. Pointless, particularly in a forum such as this..
    I wonder if it has something to do with being a minority in society. I know for myself, I was raised Christian (not strict or practising at home, but attended a very religious school) and it took courage for me to turn away from this belief system and be true to what felt right for me. Because it is a turn away from the position of the majority of society (which, based on Census, is Christianity), it is helpful to be clear about your reasons and prepared to justify them. I've had to do so many times IRL, and maybe others have too. Some may have had to fight a lot harder than we think to have the freedom to not have conform to a God-based belief system. And Christianity (and other monotheistic belief systems) can be interpreted as involving beliefs that can function to prevent people from turning away from it (through fear negative consequences).

When you have been told your whole life to believe in God 'or else', it's kind of a big deal to decide not to believe that, for whatever reason.

Additionally, being part of the majority, the believers on this forum may not be used to their views being questioned, so it makes sense that this will seem like nonbelievers are 'trying to prove' the believers wrong, when it may not be about that at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe science holds more truth than religion because it can be tested, it encourages critical thinking and it is happy to admit its wrong and accept new theories.

But I don't disbelieve in God and I would never tell someone who believes in God that they are wrong. How on Earth would I know? I can't prove He doesn't exist. I may think its unlikely, but I can't say absolutely He doesn't.

I think its possible He created the Big Bang. I'm not sure I believe that, but its possible.

More than God vs Science, for me its God vs Church. I don't think there is one true religion, I do think Churches are often more interested in pwer and money (at least historically) than about truth. And I don't like they teach things as fact that are not.

But I think God is separate from Church.
    Last edited by MissMuppet; 01-04-2012 at 06:23.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I just wanted to add that religion is only retreating into the shadows in western society and is not the case for the majority of the world's population.
    It was interesting to hear from the non-believers of God on the other thread. I just don't get why some of them seemed threatened by the believers and seemed to want to prove them wrong. Pointless, particularly in a forum such as this..
    Both 'sides' believe they are correct - therefore both sides are trying to prove the other incorrect.

(I personally don't have my blinkers on and focus on where I am - when I am on BH, am am still a part of the world [we are not limited to members from Australia] - same as when I am IRL, I take into consideration what is happening on the larger scale.

..but I'm sure you've all heard enough from me on this subject - so I'll give it a rest for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Where does someone's disbelief in science end? Would a religious person shun medical treatment in favour of God's healing powers? Or choose not to fly in a plane and hope god might grant them wings? No. It seems people can pick and choose their belief in science. "Oh I believe in medical advancement but I totally think scientists are wrong when they discover fossils".
    Last edited by Alexander Beetle; 01-04-2012 at 09:39.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (01-04-2012),delirium  (02-04-2012),Fuchsia!  (01-04-2012),Guest654  (01-04-2012),halloweendee  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Where does someone's disbelief in science end? Would a religious person shun medical treatment in favour of God's healing powers? Or choose not to fly in a plane and hope god might grant them wings? No. It seems people can pick and choose their belief in science. "Oh I believe in medical advancement but I totally think scientists are wrong when they discover fossils".
    i agree!