+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stopping breast feeding - please don't judge

My 2nd baby is 4 days old and i've made the decision to stop breast feeding (for a number of reasons i won't go into). I just need some advice on how to deal with my very engorged breasts and how to cope with stopping the production of further milk. My midwife advised hit showers with the water on my back, massaging out any lumps i might get, supportive bra. Is there anything else ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    My GP gave me a script for two tablets. My milk dried up within 2 days. No judging from me, just big hugs. I have been there at that stage .... three times xxxx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HearMeRoar For This Useful Post:

Bellaleggos  (31-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ice them. Wet 4 newborn size nappies and put them in the freezer. One on the top and one on the bottom of each boob. When they don't feel cold anymore, put them back in the freezer.
    Friends of mine have also taken medication to dry up breastmilk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Bellaleggos  (31-03-2012),giggle berry  (31-03-2012),PurpleButterfly4  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cabbage leaves in your bra at night. Take them from the fridge. So nice and cool

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelanathan For This Useful Post:

Bellaleggos  (31-03-2012),jacobsmamma  (31-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with all the above, cold packs are also good for when ur feeling engorged. Certainly no judgment from me here either, totally know where u are xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped breast feeding when dd was 6 months. Definitely no judgment here if it's not working it's not working and you have to look after yourself too I put cabbage leaves in my bra of a night time and had a shower in the morning and massaged out any lumps to prevent mastitis. I did this for about a week until I more or less dried up. Look after yourself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd avoid the meds to dry off, especially this soon after birth. Drying off naturally helps your uterus go back to how it was before.

I've FFd both mine from birth and dried off naturally both times. It can take days or a few weeks. Tight bra, no hot water on boobs or stimulation, no expressing unless absolutely unbearable and even then as little as possible, newborn nappy tip is great and makes a big difference IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The tablets they give you rid your body of fluid so just cut down on fluids and do what you MW said to do and you will be right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can really recommend the cabbage leaves - they help to make sure you don't get mastitis I was told (and they feel nice when cold, even though DH could barely stop himself collapsing with laughter when he saw the cabbage leaves poking out of my bra LOL). Look after yourself, drinking hot tea can help (I was told by the midwife that tea can stop milk flow). Take care of yourself most of all!! Some of my most lovely memories of DS when he was a baby are the sweet quiet times of a bottle feed, with him gazing at me and me gazing back at him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much to everyone for all your replies. I feel so much better having read them. I've been freezing breast pads which have helped loads and have had a lovely shower. My back is killing but I guess that's from carrying these massive boobs around!