+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always feel this way. I feel like this with family, with friends, with strangers, everyone.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Thanks tam, i did see one for a while... She thinks the probabilty of me sitting above a typical level on the asd spectrum is quite high. ( never really told anyone that) mixed with some sensory issues and reactions to situations i have which are scarily identical to how my boys react to things (both asd).

But i chose not to explore it. I didnt have much support from family regarding it. And i dont see the psych anymore.
    Yeah...I sort of got that impression from what you were saying you feel in social situations. It's not something to be ashamed of, you know? We all sit on the spectrum somewhere - that's why it's a spectrum...just some of us have more of the features and some of us less.

You're not worth less if you have more features though. And it doesn't make you an oddball - just a person with a particular set of traits that inform your personality - that describes everyone.

I am sorry you feel so separate though

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tam-I-Am For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (09-04-2012),Zombie_eyes  (02-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quite a lot recently, in a relatively new social circle too, although it's more an individual who's made me feel like this, but it is ruining the whole group for me.

I know I'm not a likeable person, I've always struggled to be 'one of the girls', but it still really hurts as I thought this group might be different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was at high school always trying to be someone i just wasn't and in the end i hated myself, i was the same way when i was with ex for 3 years tried to be who he wanted but when i wanted to change he hated it and left me, I decided then that i would just be myself if people didn't like it to bad, I was always trying to please my mum as she always saw me as a failure so i did what i thought i should and moved out at 21 only to be told i was extremely selfish and how could i leave the family home when my sister was going through cancer.... i moved in with a friend and it took me a few months to open up and be myself and then i met up with a girl who was a year younger than me in school and we became inseperable with her help i grew! but then she left me to travel the world and i was on my own, i'd met some wonderful people through a mutual friend of my ex's and one is still to this day my best friend who i adore, she introduced me to some of her friends and we became a group of about 7 girls, i don't speak to a couple of them now but the rest are my best friends and took me for who i was. When we moved here i freaked out a bit about not making friends but i met my kal bestie and i love her to bits, she gets me without me having to stress or explain anything, and she pays DH out on stuff all the time for me
    My aunty always used to tell me if you can count on one hand the 5 friends who are most important to you then you are very lucky i have 3 who are people i don't go a day without emailing or texting. There used to be 2 others but i cut them out when they said horrible things about DH and I's TTC battle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could have written that OP...
    Am fairly sure my social anxiety & awkwardness stems from the bullying I received in school. I learnt to keep a poker face up all the time & I have an incredibly hard time opening up face-to-face now... I rarely call people, aside from a select few because I don't think they would be interested in talking to me. And I too get nervous about social gatherings as I am not good at initiating or joining conversations... 4 months into my mothers group & am still not sure the others like me much.
    Always feel am a bit too different, can't relate to others & that I give off the impression that I don't like people...sigh...am trying but having trust issues doesn't help

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find that I adjusts personality to suit who I need to be when in around other people. Only a few friends actually know who I am. And to be honest I kinda like it that way.

Your not Alone somehow? Hhe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to, very much so.....but to a lesser degree now. As my self esteem and self worth has grown so has my ability to mix or not mix with whoever. I'm not in-your-face I tend to hold people at arm's length. But when I do mix I'm down to earth and outgoing and seem to be more myself these days than I have in the past, which is a good feeling. I can still have my odd moments though. I have accepted this about myself though, which, I think is the key. Just accept that this is the type of person you are and if people don't like it then they can F off! Only those who are worthy of being my friend are my friends, otherwise I don't wish to waste my time on people if they are going to pick and evaluate everything I do or say.

Sass - I'm the same with certain things about myself. I'm not one to talk about curtains all day long, I like to get into the nitty gritty of things that generally people are afraid of, feelings....things they people don't usually like to share. But I've learned that not everyone is like that and I can accept that...that's fine, so I go about talking about curtains and swatches and baby vomit and fain interest, and throw something funny in there just to keep it interesting. Thankfully an old BH member and I are pretty good friends these days and she's another one who likes to talk about 'stuff' so we talk and laugh about the weirdest things, so that tends to help get it out of my system.

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Only when I hang out with a couple of girls I went to school with because I have nothing in common with them anymore (don't know that I ever did actually). When I'm with them I feel totally out of place. Probably why I don't spend much time with them anymore, one of them I haven't seen for at least a year, I guess people drift apart though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tonight got me thinking of this thread. I started a course tonight and I felt so out of place. I don't know why. I felt like I didn't belong and that everybody else was going to be better than me at this course.
    I hate feeling this way. I feel like I set myself up for failure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do feel this way. I guess I always worry about what people are or we're saying or thinking about me and it builds up to the point that I don't want to say or do anything in case I rub someone the wrong way. Good to know I'm not alone - even though it's not good I guess