+ Reply to Thread
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Question Best Type of Pest Control

So living in a large rural city in the middle of Victoria's food bowl last year, I was fully expecting the mice plague to eventually invade my home. Thankfully, they never did.

But we moved a month ago, to a town right on the Murray River. It's literally 500m from my front door. And we have mice!

It's a brand new house, and I clean it thoroughly every Saturday morning (just finished!) as well as tidying as I go through the week. So.. I don't think they're here because we're dirty because we're really not!

As well as the mice, the incredible amount of flies is annoying me too! (You would think that growing up in this town I would be used to it, but living away for 6 years I guess I became accustomed to pest-free environment!)

I just looked at research on the ultrasonic plug in devices, but science says they can be nothing but a dud, since the pests habituate to the sound, it doesn't annoy them anyway, and besides- ultrasonic sound cannot go around corners or through walls or furniture, and it loses half it's strength after 15ft and is gone after 30ft.

DP went to Bunnings a few weeks ago and bought some self-baited traps which were supposed to be irresistable to mice, but so far they remain empty, whilst I see mice run into the garage and my linen cupboard (gross )

So- any tips on pest control?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can sympathise on the fly front. We live in dairy country and until the dung beetles arrive, you can only live in doors. Around our patio area we use the traps with the stinky liquid and it traps so many flies!! Hang them a little away as the smell can get pretty grot.

Mice are harder. I have heard those pieces of sticky paper are great and will trap alot of mice at once. Also, peanut butter is really good. Can an exterminator do anything for mice?

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure about the flies
    A couple of cats would probably help with the mice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know the answer sry and I hope u find a solution, but just wanted to say pls don't use the glue traps http://www.unleashed.org.au/blog/glue+traps :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bada View Post
    I don't know the answer sry and I hope u find a solution, but just wanted to say pls don't use the glue traps http://www.unleashed.org.au/blog/glue+traps :/
    Thank you so much for sharing that link

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by bada View Post

whoah should NOT have read that whilst eating breakfast!!

I can't get a cat- it's a rental.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in the same area and haven't been able to avoid the mice and flies. So thick the mice last year they literally ate the crop out of the paddock. For flies and mozzies we use the raid/robocan auto sprayer. Works wonders for inside. As well as those bug mesh doors. Dorky but necessary lol.

For mice I trap or bait depending on how bad they are. Best traps are the grey plastic ones with peanut butter.

Now I want to know if we're neighbours lol, cos you know the murrray is only a small river Haha.