+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Please recommend me a good book

With a holiday coming up I might actually get some time to read a book! I got burnt by the DaVinci Code - hours of my life that I will never get back! So I've finally got the courage to get a new book and need some ideas please.

In the past I've found quite a few good books in the 'litrature' section of a bookstore. My favoutite books would include 1984, Trainspotting, Like Water for Chocolate, Memoirs of a Geisha and Perfume. I'm also a fan of futuristic SciFi (but NOT fantasy). I also have a secret penchant for a bit of trashy (but engrossing) Aussie chic lit.

I know lots of readers IRL - but none with my taste, in fact for most of them I know if they like a book I will probably hate it. So looking for ideas from anyone with similar tastes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you read Game of Thrones by George R R Martin? I've read all the books you mentioned you liked with the exception of Perfume and enjoyed them so not sure if we have similar taste or not. I never got into the DaVinci Code either.
    GoT is not what I'd call futuristic sci-Fi and does have some elements of fantasy (dragons and the undead) but I found it totally engrossing. So much so that I've re-read it and the following five books of the series again! There's blood & gore, conspiracies, deception, manipulation, unrequited love, love lost, power plays and above everything else, complete and utter unpredictibility.

There's always The Hunger Games if you get really stuck. It seems to be the book of the month!
    Last edited by TeenyT; 02-04-2012 at 19:42.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yeah I'm looking into the Hunger Games wondering if I should or shouldn't!

A few that you may like: Montana 1948, Thornbirds (you said Aussie chic lit- would could be more appropriate? ), Tully, Oh gee... I thought it would be easier to come up with some books to recommed... I guess I haven't been reading much lately!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Stretched I have read most of what you have read, have you read Shantaram, or any of the Paulo Coelho books?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Traci Harding is a great sci fi writer. I don't even like sci fi but I love her books. And she's an Australian writer as well
    Her first series is called the ancient future and it's brilliant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I gave just started the hunger games so far it's not bad, I am a huge Harry potter fan but if you after something not fantasy try anything by lee child, it's about an ex army MP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The White Tiger is really good!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, and it was rather interesting. I had it recommended to me.

I am just finished The Hunger Games (so I can see the movie this week.) It was pretty good (not my favourite though.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you liked Memoirs of a Geisha you can try Ten Thousand Sorrows and I personally love A Boy Called It.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the great ideas, hopefully if I get to read a book during my holidays it might get me into reading again and I can try a few of these!