+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice for breastfeeding a non biological child?

I've been breastfeeding DS1 for 26 months now, always planning to then bf DS2 after DP (bio mum) goes back to work at 3 months. He's now 3 weeks old, so we still have about 2.5 months till I'm taking over day breast feeds.

But... I don't think I have much milk. DS1 still feeds at least 3 times a day, but they never ever feel full. I've breastfed DS2 a few times, and he feeds for far less time than he does with DP - she has heaps more milk. He does seem to fall asleep on my b00b very fast (it's that hard core full fat toddler milk :-D)...

We asked the MCN for advice and she said to pump - but I can't pump, never could, hurts me like hell.

The plan is to slowly take over the feeds from DP till when she goes back to work and I stay with the boys at home I'll do all the day feeds and she'll do the evening and night feeds.

Any advice? Has anyone breastfed a non bio child successfully? I do have milk, just not heaps - what you would expect breastfeeding a toddler I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think ringing the ABA would be a great start.
    I also think getting into some some natural milk increases.
    Your body will be finely tuned to the needs of DS1...so it may take some time to adjust.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm 26, when I was a bub my mum and aunties would take turns on who got to go out. The one whos turn it was to stay home that weekend breastfed my two cousins and myself, Hahaha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only fed my own bio kids but as farout suggested, I'd try natural things first like the lactation cookies, fenugreek etc, oats etc first, and also slowly increasing how much you feed DS2 before your partner goes back to work. The more you feed, the more milk you should make, so just keep feeding feeding feeding! It might take a while for your body to 'catch up', but should happen eventually so start earlier so its all good by the time she goes back to work.

Just think of wet nurses, they used to feed heaps of kids, I guess their bodies just made what she needed them to?

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I don't think you'll have a problem. Your boobs will adjust in about 3 days and the bub will catch up at night from your partner anyway. We are designed for this kind of thing. Have a bit of ebm frozen in case of trouble, but I doubt you'll need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You said pumping was no good, how about hand expressing? You might be able to try that a couple of times a day to increase your supply.

I think that once DS2 was breastfeeding from you more often, your supply would quickly increase anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Motillium is great. Helped boost my supply after breast reduction. Just ask gp

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ive fed my cousins child (newborn) while feeding my then 18 month old. It was only for a day, but I offered DD more feeds in the days before hand to boost my supply, then limited her feeds on the day I had bubby.
    I think once you start feeding your DS2 then your supply should increase to match

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fenugreek worked for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    lots of skin to skin cuddles too- share a bath together. can you wear DS2? this also increases prolactin and other hormones that will help increase milk production.

different pumps or flanges can make big differences in expressing. or hand expressing as suggested.

fak