+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In most states in America, tipping was there to make up the difference of the minimum wage and they pay a tax on their tips, so it's part of their income, not a bonus above their income so to speak. I know in Massachusetts the minimum wage was as little as $2.15 or something like that an hour!

You also tip based on how well you think the service was or wasn't. When tipping we used to work on the rule of thumb: 25% for stellar service, 20% for very good, 15% for ok and 10% for poor service.

Be careful though, with a foreign accent, as some may already have a 'service charge' already in the bill, but try it on for a tip as well.

You tip services like taxis, restaurants, valets, conciege/housekeeping, hairdressers/beauty therapists, Manicurists, Tour guides, masseurs, barman/women, baristas etc. Places like McDonalds etc may have a tip jar, but don't feel at all obligated to tip there.

It's a little tricky at first when it's not second nature to tip, but after a week living there, it will become second nature to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    oh god sounds scary hahaha so like take away foods places and clothes shops etc you don't have to ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I Em I have the lonely plant guide of the US unfortunately I never got the chance to use it as I was planning my second trip there when I met DH who is not interested in traveling however when the kids grow up I'll be off again lol. It's about 7years old but I'm sure nothing much has changed in that time. I'd be happy to post it to you if you'd like it
    Oh I have also been too LA, San Francisco, San Diego (sp??) , Seattle and Mexico (great shopping there but do go on a tour, much safer) although that was some 16years ago and I loved it
    I hope you have a ball, how exciting

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    oh god sounds scary hahaha so like take away foods places and clothes shops etc you don't have to ??
    Your right takeaway food places you don't but remember when clothes shopping etc that their sales tax isn't included in the price on the tag, like it is here, they add that at the register. I got caught out with that all the time.
    Oh and I replyed to your PM

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    And if your missing Australian food and Australian accents go and visit "The Australian". Its a bar and restaurant in NYC that has sausages and mashed potato, lamb roast, meat pies and the staff are all Australian

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluky79 View Post
    I Em I have the lonely plant guide of the US unfortunately I never got the chance to use it as I was planning my second trip there when I met DH who is not interested in traveling however when the kids grow up I'll be off again lol. It's about 7years old but I'm sure nothing much has changed in that time. I'd be happy to post it to you if you'd like it
    Oh I have also been too LA, San Francisco, San Diego (sp??) , Seattle and Mexico (great shopping there but do go on a tour, much safer) although that was some 16years ago and I loved it
    I hope you have a ball, how exciting
    oh thanks I bought a NY lonely planet book the other day but would love a whole US one how much would u want for it ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babalooba View Post
    Your right takeaway food places you don't but remember when clothes shopping etc that their sales tax isn't included in the price on the tag, like it is here, they add that at the register. I got caught out with that all the time.
    Oh and I replyed to your PM
    omg sounds so confusing and hard hahaha what would happe. if one forgot to tip?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babalooba View Post
    And if your missing Australian food and Australian accents go and visit "The Australian". Its a bar and restaurant in NYC that has sausages and mashed potato, lamb roast, meat pies and the staff are all Australian
    omg awesome !! yum

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask me anything. I love NY. Lived there for a bit (not long enough) and did a little bit of NY state as well as the city.

Look into ESTA. i'm not sure if you can have it concurrent with a student visa, but if you can it'll allow you in and out of the states once? I went to Canada for 2 days from NYC to go to Niagara falls, but the American side is also lovely!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    oh thanks I bought a NY lonely planet book the other day but would love a whole US one how much would u want for it ?
    Nothing Hun I'd be happy to see it being used

If you want pm me your address and I'll get it out to you soon