+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am a landlord a nd I would absolutely pick b. it's your money and your investment, how would you feel if you went with option a and they never paid te rent and wrecked the place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have said my piece and stand by it. I don't think either of them are likely to be 'bad' tenants.

As long as you are renting through an agency it's going to be a tough decision. You are only given a small amount of info about the prospective tenants, so you kind of HAVE to make generalized assumptions about their likelihood of being able to keep up with the rent and care for the property.

Sucks either way for the person who misses out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

MothersMilk  (31-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    I am a landlord a nd I would absolutely pick b. it's your money and your investment, how would you feel if you went with option a and they never paid te rent and wrecked the place.
    But their references don't reflect that kind of behaviour. They had got behind then caught up. they have good references. The same random thought could be said about option B

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (30-03-2012),Luna Lovegood  (31-03-2012),Shoopuf  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Applicant A HAS defaulted on payments before, so logically it makes sense for them to be the second choice.
    I agree. I don't see why people don't get that. Just because the property is a 3 bedder doesn't mean the OP should rent to the family because 'it makes sense'
    I own a rental and I'd choose B straight up purely because of the arrears history of tenant A.
    I can't afford to cover my mortgage until the tenants can pay.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

fairyflossfairy  (30-03-2012),GlitterFarts  (31-03-2012),Shoopuf  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I handle tenancy disputes in a mining town and single males can be as bad at being in arrears as families on very lower incomes so his being on a high income isn't a guarantee that you will be trouble free with option B.

We let tenants in to our house even though they had been in arrears with other rentals because they always caught up. If the references hand not included this information we would not have rented it to them.

At the end of the day this is a business transaction and you have to make a business decision.
    You are right. But the last house he rented, he was there for 4-5 years and was never in arrears. Therefore he would be the safer option of the two in that respect. He is also a permanent mine employee, not a contractor so he would get sufficient notice of termination on employment. Its a more stable job, even when its unstable its more stable than a casual fruit picker who could get sacked at any moment.
    +9

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I would pick option A. It seems more practical to have a family in a family house as opposed to a single guy. Their references are good and although they have obviously had some trouble paying rent as some point, they caught up when they could.

From a more personal point of view i know how hard it is to be approved for a rental when on a low income with children. I know what its like to end up homeless with kids because no one would rent to me. My rental history is clean too. I've never fallen behind in rent. I know this situation isn't limited to me either. It's happening more and more.

I just think it would be heartbreaking to know that potentially you knocking them back for a rental property could be the difference between the family having a roof over there heads or having to sleep in the car.

I would give them a chance. If you are really worried. Could you arrange to meet them first to see what kind of vibe you get? Perhaps start off on a shorter lease?

Even though option B is on a higher income its not to say things won't go wrong. It won't guarantee that he will be a great tenant.
    Tenants A will not be on the street. There are plenty of rentals here and $300 a week is at the highest of price. We rented a 3br house not long ago here for $185 a week. So knowing that tenants A only want this house because its nice, and they arnt going to be on the street if we say no, would you change your mind?

$300 is a LOT of money for a rental here.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Mining isn't always stable
    Well no, but then, neither is fruit picking.

But it would certainly help ... Having the same income every week means that there IS money available - it's then a matter of whether or not it goes to rent. But seriously, his references say that he has always paid on time, so why on earth would that change when he rents a new property?
    Agree with Shoopuf here
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSummers View Post
    Please please please pick A if you are at all inclined. Three bedroom house and they are three people. They have great references and I am absolutely certain that o all expenses, rent is the one they will prioritize paying. They have a kid and won't want to be homeless.

The guy will not have a problem getting a place. This family will.

Then again, I am speaking from the experience of being a *brilliant* tenant with four years of rental experience with my fiancé (been together 6 years)

We have never been late or missed rent, ever
    we don't ssmoke we don't drink or party
    we don't have any pets
    we have perfect references from our landlord/bosses/neighbours
    we would be getting our full bond back because we're house proud tenants
    we can pay 12 months rent in advance (we are big savers!)
    and we make 45k per year after tax.

Still, we have been applying constantly for 6 months and no one will rent to us because (I assume) of the fact that we're 22.

I am a student and my fiancé is employed at a university doing his PhD. Our 1 bedroom place is falling apart, full of asbestos, dark and moldy and we desperately want to move.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack. I can just really empathize with the family and know how desperate my fiancé and I are to prove that we're reliable, house proud tenants. I can only imagine they feel the same and want to provide a stable home for their kid.
    Oh me too, ive been a renter since i moved out of home so i know how hard it is to normally go through all the stuff to get a rental . But as i said above this is a house thats way up on the price compared to others. The info mentioned they have been trying to find houses with no luck, im not sure if thats because of the applications or not but it makes me worry that they are just applying for anything in the hope they get it, even if the price is too high.
    When they say trying to rent, they would mean a house in that particular area not in the surrounds.

I have said my piece and stand by it. I don't think either of them are likely to be 'bad' tenants.

As long as you are renting through an agency it's going to be a tough decision. You are only givhoen a small amount of info about the prnoospective tenants, so you kind of HAVE to make generalized assumptions about their likelihood of being able to keep up with the rent and care for the property.

Sucks either way for the person who misses out.
    I know its so hard. Chatting to DP, his choice is Tenant B so thats who we are going to go with

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope it all works out for you IndigoJ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I hope it all works out for you IndigoJ
    Thank you. This is our first time renting our house so we are really hoping it all goes to plan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Thank you. This is our first time renting our house so we are really hoping it all goes to plan
    Maybe just insist that the 12 week inspection is carried out (peace of mind), but I'm sure it will be fine
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 30-03-2012 at 21:46.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you have made up your
    Mind to go with option B. it's a business transaction so it makes sense to go with what looks better on paper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, it sounds like you've really thought this through and certainly weren't discriminating or anything. I hope it all turns out well for you.

Wish me luck for the 3 inspections I have tomorrow! Oh, how I long to get my Saturdays back. (And every other random inspection time they schedule during the week for that matter!)