+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Does government assistance really add up to enough to make $300 per week only 35% of the entire payment (which it the maximum portion of income that agents will allow to be allocated to rent when considerinll.
    No, it's not 35% but I assume their income for now is more than that, as is the miner's. Her point is, if they both lose their jobs, they will still receive payments (and it will be enough to cover that rent, not 35% though) wheras if the miner becomes unemployed, his income will be much, much less than that and nowhere near enough to cover the rent, I think the dole is less than $500 per fortnight.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (30-03-2012),Shoopuf  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Does government assistance really add up to enough to make $300 per week only 35% of the entire payment (which it the maximum portion of income that agents will allow to be allocated to rent when considering applicants)?

Wow. I never realized it was so much. Our family never got that much when I was a kid, and there were 7 of us.

Off topic, but I'm really surprised, that's all.
    Well the bulk of my income is from centrelink. I pay $260 now but paid $310 in my last house. I still managed to keep my rent 2 weeks in advance at all times even though i am losing close to half my income in rent.
    Just because someones income is low doesn't mean they are likely to forfeit on rent. If my wage goes down, my centrelink entitlement goes up which in realitly should make me a low risk when it comes to not paying rent. Family A should be the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    No, it's not 35% but I assume their income for now is more than that, as is the miner's. Her point is, if they both lose their jobs, they will still receive payments (and it will be enough to cover that rent, not 35% though) wheras if the miner becomes unemployed, his income will be much, much less than that and nowhere near enough to cover the rent, I think the dole is less than $500 per fortnight.
    Oh right ... That makes more sense. I was like; "Whoa!! All this time my Mum has been telling me how poor she is ... She lies!!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Benji  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Yes. Thats exactly it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please please please pick A if you are at all inclined. Three bedroom house and they are three people. They have great references and I am absolutely certain that o all expenses, rent is the one they will prioritize paying. They have a kid and won't want to be homeless.

The guy will not have a problem getting a place. This family will.

Then again, I am speaking from the experience of being a *brilliant* tenant with four years of rental experience with my fiancé (been together 6 years)

We have never been late or missed rent, ever
    we don't ssmoke we don't drink or party
    we don't have any pets
    we have perfect references from our landlord/bosses/neighbours
    we would be getting our full bond back because we're house proud tenants
    we can pay 12 months rent in advance (we are big savers!)
    and we make 45k per year after tax.

Still, we have been applying constantly for 6 months and no one will rent to us because (I assume) of the fact that we're 22.

I am a student and my fiancé is employed at a university doing his PhD. Our 1 bedroom place is falling apart, full of asbestos, dark and moldy and we desperately want to move.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack. I can just really empathize with the family and know how desperate my fiancé and I are to prove that we're reliable, house proud tenants. I can only imagine they feel the same and want to provide a stable home for their kid.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EchoSummers For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (30-03-2012),HarvestMoon  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Just because someones income is low doesn't mean they are likely to forfeit on rent. .
    I neither said nor implied that.

My point is, I don't believe it is right to discriminate against applicant B purely because he doesn't have kids.

Applicant A HAS defaulted on payments before, so logically it makes sense for them to be the second choice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (31-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know from my experience that I will do anything to keep a roof over my son's head. I'm currently 1.5 months in advance just so I have some breathing space. Sometimes families can be more reliable for that reason.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I neither said nor implied that.

My point is, I don't believe it is right to discriminate against applicant B purely because he doesn't have kids.

Applicant A HAS defaulted on payments before, so logically it makes sense for them to be the second choice.
    I don't think opting to chose tenant A would be discrmininating against tenant b because he doesn't have children.
    It seems like a more logical choice to put a family in a family home. They have defaulted when times were tough (obviously we don't know the exact circumstance) but they have rectified the issue by brining rent up to date. Their references have worked out so its likely that they aren't bad tenants.

I guess i personally find it hard to not to feel for people in their circumstance. Their situation is more dire. They have children, they need a roof over their heads.
    At least when you are single there are always other options; living in a flat/unit, house sharing and renting out a car storage spot from the boat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I posted earlier but thought Is share further. I have been in a similar situation when choosing a tenant. I'm normally all business in these situations. Everyone told me not to go with the unemployed, single parent on benefits. For some reason (very unlike me) I got a good 'feeling' and went with this person. Fast forward 3 years they have just resigned a 2 year lease (that's 5 years in total they will be living there), have paid a year in advance, painted the house and always have it in immaculate condition. We have never put the rent up for this reason. Go with references, rental history etc but your gut feeling shouldn't be overlooked sometimes. Families want stability and you can analyse so many things but ultimately my gut feeling worked for me over what 'made good business sense'.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Option A!!!

There isn't much difference between the two really. Plus if option b is a miner who knows how long he will stay at that mine before moving to another (happens all the time, they chase the money)

Option A doesn't sound bad at all got good references etc. definitely would be my choice if it were up to me.

You might find the family will love and appreciate the place (like home) rather then a single man who comes and goes.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post: