+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Jeepers. No wonder everyone has started lying on their rental applications when a double income family can't even get a house.
    That's nothing against you Jakois or your decisions btw.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (30-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't mean that low income families = dirty slobs and i certainly did not say that!!! What i meant was that in my situation our tenants are friends and it makes it really difficult, if the op knows the option a peir can make things a little difficult if a problem arises.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tenant b

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat1341 View Post
    I didn't mean that low income families = dirty slobs and i certainly did not say that!!! What i meant was that in my situation our tenants are friends and it makes it really difficult, if the op knows the option a peir can make things a little difficult if a problem arises.
    I know what you mean. I rent off a good friends mother. I broke my ankle and couldn't work, and was soooo worried about getting behind in the rent because it's a personal tie. I'm also a bit too worried about calling the RE for repairs because I know her financial situation. I should get over it, I am paying $350 a week on my own.
    Sorry, slight derail.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tenant B

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think option B, purely because it seems he has a better rental history, and due to his high paying job, paying the rent won't be a problem. I don't think whether he has kids to fill the rooms is either here nor there, tbh.

We've just had a similar thing happen to us - we were applying for rentals but they're all 4br houses around here, and obviously it is just us two. The agents kept saying; "Why do you need 4brs??"

Well, we don't. But we do need a roof over our heads just as much as the next person, and these are the only places available.

We ended up getting the first one we applied for, but it sucked hard that it seemed as if we were being questioned for not having kids.

For your own financial security OP, I would go with the miner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    probably B as it is not easy to find a place(covered) for large boats and recreational gear. It depends on what they are using it for and what they like, a family of 3 do not need a big home either. IF they had more kids probably go with A but I am guessing the reason B wants it is storage otherwise why apply for a big place?

When we were looking at rentals MOST of the miners who came to viewings were like B wanted a home as they have ample storage for outdoor gear and room for pets. Most smaller places do not accommodate these needs.
    Last edited by fairyflossfairy; 30-03-2012 at 19:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I handle tenancy disputes in a mining town and single males can be as bad at being in arrears as families on very lower incomes so his being on a high income isn't a guarantee that you will be trouble free with option B.

We let tenants in to our house even though they had been in arrears with other rentals because they always caught up. If the references hand not included this information we would not have rented it to them.

At the end of the day this is a business transaction and you have to make a business decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is true, my grandmothers home was severely trashed and because she is very particular ended up selling it(she rented while on a year long trip around the world) because she built it and it was immaculate.

The 2guys were highly recommended too and were fly in and out mine workers, so it can go either way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would pick option A. It seems more practical to have a family in a family house as opposed to a single guy. Their references are good and although they have obviously had some trouble paying rent as some point, they caught up when they could.

From a more personal point of view i know how hard it is to be approved for a rental when on a low income with children. I know what its like to end up homeless with kids because no one would rent to me. My rental history is clean too. I've never fallen behind in rent. I know this situation isn't limited to me either. It's happening more and more.

I just think it would be heartbreaking to know that potentially you knocking them back for a rental property could be the difference between the family having a roof over there heads or having to sleep in the car.

I would give them a chance. If you are really worried. Could you arrange to meet them first to see what kind of vibe you get? Perhaps start off on a shorter lease?

Even though option B is on a higher income its not to say things won't go wrong. It won't guarantee that he will be a great tenant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast