+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,

I used the Mongan Method with ds and he was a long birth. I loved it and got to 9cms with this quite easily (after that the birth went pear shaped but not due to hb). I also miscarried a sick wee boy at 17-18 weeks gestation on my own using HB. Was the happiest part of a sad situation. I did the 20 counts easily and lots of visualisation. I am due in less than 2 weeks and am superdooper excited about birthing again. I feel really confident going into this birth too. I find I can not do the 20 count in practice but easily achieve it during active labour. I like the visualisations in the last stage of labour when your body is nudging baby down. I also love that I can use the 1-8 count breathing whilst cuddling my son and it calms him very quickly.

I can't stand listening to the cd though as the voice distracts me and puts me off! Good luck- it sounds like you have taken a technique and adapted it to suit you better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I clearly did something wrong because we paid to do the complete HB course, books & CD - but it all went out the window when we arrived at hospital!!

Bubs' heart rate kept dropping and the midwives were constantly on the phone to my Ob, who reluctantly advised me to be hooked up permanently to the fetal monitor. This sadly meant I couldn't be 'active' or be in any of the positions we practiced, so it's as if I forgot absolutely everything else I then ended up with pain relief which I still get upset about 7mths on...

Having said that, doing the course did remove the 'fear' of the unknown beforehand and created a better awareness an understanding.

Good luck, I hope your HB birth is more successful than mine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really think hypnobirthing techniques helped me achieve a mostly calm and drug-free labour. It never crossed my mind to even ask for drugs (except when temporarily on syntocin drip and confined to bed with posterior bub after 48hrs of labour!! Once syntocin stopped, I was back in control again).

I would never say that I was in a deeply relaxed or hypnotic state, but the surge breathing got me through the surges and birth breathing when I had the urge to bear down. I could never quite get the surge breathing when I practiced it, but during surges it felt natural to draw in slow steady breaths in and out along with the surge. I used the satin ribbon and crowning rose visualizations during labour, especially helped initially to dilate my cervix and then later when my labour 'failed to progress' and was told I was close to needing a c-section.

Hypnobirthing was especially helpful during pregnancy - the affirmations helped me to be clear about the birthing experience I wanted and the guided relaxations helped me to sleep well during pregnancy. I had no fewr of birth, and i was actually really excited about the experience. I'm still using these techniques now post-parturition to help me sleep.

The most important part of hypnobirthing was the involvement of my husband in his role as birth companion - he was skeptical about it all before we did our course but was absolutely my rock throughout the labour, coaching me through my surge breathing, reminding me to visual the crowning rose etc. so if you are planning to do hypnobirthing via the book only, it is so important that your birth companion is also involved in preparing for your birth experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing for pointers

Guest Guest
    I did a course during pregnancy but in labour I used my usual meditation I've been using for years. It's just a relaxing tune that reminds me of nature with sounds of water and birds. In labour it was on my iPod, I kept my mind clear of any thoughts and simply breathed. When thoughts of the pain came (during contractions) I just let it go and didn't latch onto the thought. The main reason it helped was because it kept me calm and the panic and anxiety at bay. When you start to panic, think you can't do it or can't handle the pain it actually makes it worse. Just remember the more relaxed you are, the less painful it is and when you think you can't take it anymore that's probably the worst the pain will get.
    It's good to get up and move from where you are at those points as well.

The visualisations and listening to people talking wasn't for me, when I'm in pain with anything I like to be alone and I need quiet in the room, so I knew having someone talking in my ear would have irritated me. My doula just told me to do what helps me, there is no right way, that's why I just dropped it all and used my usual technique.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used visualisations and long slow breaths. I imagined a wave on the ocean building with the contraction as I breathed in slowly through my nose and then folding into shore, then building again. It worked beautifully. I also stayed a home as long as I could because that was where I felt more relaxed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the light touch massage really helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I credit my amazing birth experience to the hyponobirthing techniques I used!

I had an 11 hour labour but progressed from 2cm to baby being born in 2 hours!! I was planning a water birth but was in the shower when she decided to arrive - no time to run the bath! All natural, just hypnobirthimg and the shower for pain relief.

I think the key elements for me were:
    1) the preparation - I listened to the rainbow relaxation CD every day from 26 weeks, sometimes twice per day. I also listened to the affirmations daily. Also perineal massage is VERY important from 36 weeks so you minimise the risk of tearing. I used perineal massage and the epino daily from 36 weeks, I had a very quick second stage of labour (she was born in 4 contractions) and had no damage to my perineum!
    2) the surge breathing - didn't make a lot of sense when I was practising it prior to labour, but when the surges started I totally worked and made perfect sense breathing 'up' with the surge. I didn't count as my doula told me that counting engages the rational part of the brain and can slow labour down. Just tried tomake the braths as long as possible. Also I focused on fully relaxing my body during each surge.
    3) visualisation - very important for me, I used the rose bud to visualise my cervix opening up throughout the surges.
    4) affirmations/mantras - I used simple repetitive positive mantras like 'cervix open, baby down', 'each surge brings my baby closer' especially towards the end of the first stage when it was really getting tough.

I didn't use the birth breathing as my body just took over and pushed her out - I had no control over what my body was doing, it was like an out of body experience!

Good luck - I think hypnobirthing is awesome (and would recommend HOT shower with one head spraying on your tummy and one spraying on your back).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lilly rose For This Useful Post:

Meegy  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I cannot praise Hypnobirthing enough! We had a successful natural birth (despite complications arising) with DD in 2010, labouring at home for most of the 12hrs, arriving at hospital fully dialated with only 45mins to go! I've just done my Hypnobirthing refresher course and am once again actually excited about B2's imminent arrival.

I found the following extremely useful - most of which concurs with Lily Rose's comments:
    1/ A totally involved birthing partner. My DH was very skeptical about the 'hippy' sounding HB at first but after the course and reading the M. Mongan book he found it made complete sense to him. We did loads of prep together, it deeply bonded us going into parenthood and gave me so much confidence that we both knew what to do and expect when the time came.
    2/ Breathing down exercises (practice on the toilet while doing no 2s and during practise surges). I never got the 'count down from 20' exercise - just never relaxed, but breathing deeply into tummy during surges was so helpful for staying in the zone and managing discomfort during birthing.
    3/ Affirmations - i listened to these at least every other day and more in lead up to birth.
    4/ Rainbow relaxation exercise - DH read this to me as well as the other exercises but this one worked the best. Also listened to on CD when couldn't sleep toward end of pregnancy.
    5/ Fear release - this was massive for me and (despite being emotionally exhausting) is a must for a relaxed, confident birth. Just been through it again and it really helps to clear all this anxiety and clutter in order to concentrate on birthing. Part of this is blocking out everyone else's horrific birth stories...
    7/ Perinial massage - highly recommend it! We just started this again at about 32wk after no external tearing with DB. DH quite happy to do this for me as I find it difficult around the belly bump.
    6/ Fostering a belief that 'body and baby know what to do' - this was another big part of the picture for me - developing trust and confidence in myself and baby. Staying relaxed = relaxed body = relaxed baby = (typically) good short birthing experience.
    7/ Knowing that nothing always goes to plan and being prepared / flexible (rather than rigid) about birth plan / wishes. Without being comfortable about this, my first birth could easily have gone of the rails...
    8/ Accupressure - we did a 2hr course with a Accupuncturist experienced in pre & post-natal care at the recommendation of my midwife. This also really helped me with labouring longer at home and gave DH something to concentrate on too.

Think that's about it.... as Lilly Rose said ' Hypnobirthing is awesome!!'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did calmbirth (which I believe is very similar to hypnobirthing) and I felt the best thing for me was listening to my meditation tracks every night and fully believing that my body was meant to do this and that there was nothing to fear. I focused on long, slow breaths and spent hours in the shower just breathing through my waves.

I also think that the major part of my fantastic birth was my hubby having been given good, practical ways to help me and knowing that he was on the same page

I highly reccomend doing a calmbirth course if you can x